Spelunky!
  • I'm gonna yarr this tomorrow on't PC and see if I enjoy it, if so will buy it. Looks damn fun.

It requires investment, make sure you give it time. And don't look stuff up, there's loads of depth once you scratch the surface.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I just finished the game! Woo!

846 games, 1 win!
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Nice. Not played it for a week or so, but I will finish it one day. I'm 600ish for 0 and have made it to the temple once.
  • I've not been very good at the temple generally, but got a fairly straightforward setup.  Even had the ankh in my arsenal unused.

Shotgun, Jetpack and sticky gloves helped a lot.  I generally rob the last shop in the mines, then try to make sure I rob the black market.  Usually just buy plenty bombs (and maybe sticky gloves), then just bomb the shit out of the place.  Works quite well.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Booted this up for the fist time in ages and there's a nice little update, which includes an invert run option, so no more jamming that finger on the button. Also a pro HUD option, which I feel a bit of a fraud using, but it's far less intrusive and has a little timer and stuff.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Birdorf wrote:
    Booted this up for the fist time in ages and there's a nice little update, which includes an invert run option, so no more jamming that finger on the button. Also a pro HUD option, which I feel a bit of a fraud using, but it's far less intrusive and has a little timer and stuff.
    hmm, you're not talking about the Xbox version are you?
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    No, sorry.
  • On the vita. Also loads a bit quicker. AND YOU CAN REPLACE PUG WITH A SLOTH.

I got to olmec for the first time!! (died though)
  • My wrists are out of plaster next week and I'm keen to get stuck back into some Spelunking. Nice that it's been supported.

I don't see the stratergy of angering shop keepers as they always seem to wait angrily near the exit causing trouble.
    The Forum Herald™
  • You get a lot of shit in compensation, especially If you go via the black market. If you are going for a top score it's basically necessary (as buying stuff reduces your score)

The angry shop keeper about fifty percent of the time will kill himself.
  • I've only found the black market a few times.. where is it?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Spoiler:
  • Bob wrote:
    I don't see the stratergy of angering shop keepers as they always seem to wait angrily near the exit causing trouble.

I find he's harder to kill in the mines, so usually wait until the last mines level to rob him, and then smash the black market which is pretty crucial for getting stocked up. They often spike themselves in the jungle, and just jump into oblivion in the ice caves.
  • I think it gets hard again in the temple. Those levels need no extra stress.
  • The temple is very hard.. I find it's very easy to die there.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I'm approaching the 1000 deaths achievement on the XBLA version, a lot of which have been accumulated from practise runs on the Temple after I managed to open the tunnel... I've not managed to beat Olmec despite a handful of attempts.
  • Hmm.. I have the temple enterance I think but it's so hard arriving with limited supplies.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Hmm.. I have the temple enterance I think but it's so hard arriving with limited supplies.

yeah, this is no doubt contributing towards my lack of effectiveness in taking on Olmec when I actually get there.
  • Eh, you don't need anything to beat him!
  • Please give us some tips mister... all i could see was him bouncing around with increasingly violent manner.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Eh, you don't need anything to beat him!

I'm broadly aware of that but you still need to survive long enough, which can only be helped by a selection of supplies.
  • Bob wrote:
    Please give us some tips mister... all i could see was him bouncing around with increasingly violent manner.

He plays like bowser from super Mario 3. Every time he slams a layer of bricks is removed (you have to lure him). After several rows he'll create a hole down to a lava pit (you'll need rope/similar to get out of the pit he creates)
  • I found olmec very easy on my second attempt. Jet pack, gloves, loads of bombs. Just bombed a big hole whilst olmec bounced around, then lured him over the gap. Boom. Job done.
  • Well yeah that sounds like it would be easy...
    The Forum Herald™
  • So I found out the other day that I need to bring cave digging guy a shotgun to get a shortcut to the icy levels. Any tips for doing this? 

I've been trying to steal them from shops in the mines, but those shopkeepers always fuck me up when they're angry. Hoping I might just get lucky and find one in the final forest level or something.

Never have I got so much enjoyment from a game that I'm this shit at.
  • On a different note. I really hate the climbing gloves and sticky bombs.

They are good for specific situations, but on the whole they mess up my flow and I end up stuck to bits of wall when I want to be running. Or wasting bombs when they touch a bit of wall and stick to it.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    weadre wrote:
    So I found out the other day that I need to bring cave digging guy a shotgun to get a shortcut to the icy levels. Any tips for doing this?
    Spoiler:
  • Shopkeeper tactics I generally employ these days, courtesy of mr Dubs (you can practice it in the tutorial levels):
    Dubs wrote:
    Definitely kill them if they have a jetpack, 100%.  I'll almost always rob a bomb shop and pretty much any shop with decent items as well.  Climbing gloves, a cape and springy shoes make reasonable jetpack substitute, combined with the shotgun you get it gives you good mobility (as the shotgun blast allows you to jump higher). If there's a weapon in the shop you can pick it up without buying it and kill the shopkeeper with it. If they don't have a weapon, then I do this: If there's a vault I want to go for on the same level then I'll rob the shop first to get the shotgun.

@bob is it this method? Once you get it nailed it's really effective.

Also good is luring him out of hiding by picking up the ice gun, then blast him and jump on top. Job done.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    So I found out the other day that I need to bring cave digging guy a shotgun to get a shortcut to the icy levels. Any tips for doing this?
    Spoiler:

Ah, that sounds a bit more feasible, thanks. Will have a look out for those tonight.

EDIT: Can I just start on my jungle shortcut, or do I need to go through the caves first to get the digging guy to appear?
  • Fucks sake, just almost did it twice. Stupid tiki traps both times.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!