Hippa to da Hoppa, you just don't stoppa
  • In US urban slang, a backpacker is one who listens to backpacker hip hop (alternative hip hop).[1]
    In the 1980s, backpacker was a slang term for a graffiti artist who always wore a backpack containing his music collection and graffiti equipment. Typically, the music collection would consist of local alternative hip hop artists. The term gradually came to refer to someone with this musical taste, and now has almost nothing to do with graffiti (although certain "backpackers" may participate in graffiti "tagging.") It later became a derogatory epithet for alternative hip hop.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • In the words of Childish Gambino: "fuck a backpacker".
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Alternative hip hop seems to mean 'not gangsta rap'.

The wiki list includes Jurassic 5. Fuck anyone not down with them. I mean one of them is called Dante. What a guy.

Speaking of gangsta rap though, a shout out to Ice-T. Though not for Gangsta Rap, as that was shit.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message

In no particular order, just some faves from some quality folks. In the time it took to make the post I changed my mind many times but that's part of the game. 

I know the last one isn't exactly one MC but let's face it, it's almost a top 5 in its own right.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    *Idiot mode disengaged
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Jurassic 5 have announced a June tour in the UK. 19th is Manchester, going.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • What's the line-up now?  iirc Cut Chemist didn't feature on their most recent album (but I still quite liked it, regardless of the negative reviews).
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    @daviedigi wrote:
    @beano: im lovin marlow and shuffle t atm, dont flop has come a long way.

I had no idea DF went on at Edinburgh's Fringe fezzy until a few weeks back. It really has become something else but due to the current popularity of the scene, it's starting to get soiled with any old shit- channels (leagues outside of DF) are popping up everywhere and people are putting on anybody.

Shuffle is rather underrated, I think.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    No idea, Moot. Did you find out?
  • Wikipedia confirmed that Cut Chemist left for solo endeavours, but I couldn't find anything about the upcoming tour (apart from the disappointment of no London show). Will have a proper look tomorrow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I got a Songkick alert a day or two ago, they're playing Brixton Academy.
  • Alternative hip hop seems to mean 'not gangsta rap'. The wiki list includes Jurassic 5. Fuck anyone not down with them. I mean one of them is called Dante. What a guy. Speaking of gangsta rap though, a shout out to Ice-T. Though not for Gangsta Rap, as that was shit.

Not so sure you can use the past tense.

I'm proud to say I walked out 15 minutes in to a J5 gig. Double bill with the Roots, who killed it, as per usual. J5 were headlining that night (I believe they were alternating nights), thought they might impress, but no. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

If I want a deep voice in an MC, I go and listen to Rock from Heltah Skeltah.

Also +1 for gravediggaz.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Songkick is boss. I must take Berlin off my profile though.
  • I hoped they'd play Brixton.  The extra track on the last album was live there.  Good venue - I'll definitely go.
  • Seems like a good place to put this, as I was discussing it in the pub with retroking earlier:

Main riff on this:

Is pretty much the 1min29secs riff on this:

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bump. :]

Talking to Cosby at Londonstock, he recommended Ra the Ruggedman... I'm going to track that down, and the new Pharoah Monch album to today. :]

I've been listening to a lot of rap recently. I wouldn't necessarily put any of this list in a top 5 or anything, and I'm in no mood to defend their work or my choices (*sidelong glance a Brooks*), but;

Very funny guy. Brilliant delivery. Awesome fact about the dude was that he was once
    a Michelin star grade chef! One of my favourite MC's from the last 5 years.

Video says it all. I don't think he's a particularly good MC, but he is different.
    He's become quite popular in the US, and funnily enough, quite a few of his tracks are produced here in the UK.

These dudes talk a lot of shit... That's exactly why they're on the list.
    Pure escapism and sick B-lines.

Considered by many to be the best rapper around right now. More a poet than a rapper. He says a lot of interesting stuff... For a long time, he was signed to a UK label... Not sure if that's still the case.

Jean Grae. Best female rapper for sure.

Posted it before (I think), now I'm posting it again. Best. Rapper. Alive*. The guy's a genius. Why he's not doing better is beyond me. Because of that, the quality of his Youtube output is sporadic, but his stuff is generally awesome. 

*Him and Jay Z, tbf.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Been listening to last year's Rugged Man album this week actually.  I'm particularly keen on the part of Holla-Loo-Yuh where he hits Warp 9. 

While we're here.....

• Rugged man is truly skilled. 

As is Kendrick, very very talented. Is a shame that, like so many other MCs (I'd even say specifically west coast), he has a massive blindspot when it comes to misogyny. Both he and Kanye frustrate me in particular. They have some really awesome, telling and complex verses about race and racism in the states, but fail dismally to apply the same logic to sexism.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cheers for posting that stuff DR. I'd written Grafh as Grafk in my drunken state on Saturday which lead me to some American kid who seemingly records his stuff at home. It's pretty poor quality and I was listening to it thinking 'is this the guy Dynamite thinks is one of the best rappers out there...?'

Good to know it was my mistake as I was beginning to question your other recommendations ;)

Liking Action Bronson and Little Brother, who you also mentioned. Not sure on Danny Brown at the moment, listened to his most recent album and there's a mix of good and ropey tracks for me so far but will give it some more time. Added Grafh and Flatbush Zombies to spotify now so will get on them soon too.
  • I feel like Kanye's got better at casting his misogyny as part of a calculated raging id character, but it's still fairly icky, yup.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    Cheers for posting that stuff DR. I'd written Grafh as Grafk in my drunken state on Saturday which lead me to some American kid who seemingly records his stuff at home. It's pretty poor quality and I was listening to it thinking 'is this the guy Dynamite thinks is one of the best rappers out there...?' Good to know it was my mistake as I was beginning to question your other recommendations ;) Liking Action Bronson and Little Brother, who you also mentioned. Not sure on Danny Brown at the moment, listened to his most recent album and there's a mix of good and ropey tracks for me so far but will give it some more time. Added Grafh and Flatbush Zombies to spotify now so will get on them soon too.

Awesome. Pez is also a fiend. He knows a lot about the UK scene iirc. Though this thread generally keeps it's own pace.

I forgot I mentioned Little Brother... They've disbanded, unfortunately, which is why I didn't push it. Think I'll look up Grafk for teh lols too!

Yeah. Sexism and hip hop.

What are you going to do about it, bitch...

Seriously though, the main issue I have with that, is how there are plenty of rappers out there who are undoubtedly skilled enough and cultured enough not to say certain things (of which Kanye is one), but say it anyway, because mofos will buy shit for it.

So... Is that a sad reflection of our collective nature, or should we all sit down for a group therapy session?

I mean it's all about the message, right*?

So why would sexism sound better in rhyme over an 8 bar loop than it would do in any other musical form... A strange question, certainly.

That's purely taking sales into account, of course.

*Tongue in cheek. Take a deep breath before posting a reply...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It'll be a long time before part of the appeal of hip-hop generally (same could be said of classic rock) is the opportunity for a kind of moral tourism. Unfortunately, we still rely on a fairly base set of memes to communicate 'edge'.
  • Erm... Michael Caine, Miley Cyrus.... M C Escher... M C Hammer and Martin Chuzzlewitt?
  • Miley Cyrus is the best.
  • I don't really have a leg to stand on with this misogyny talk, I like my hip hop hard and gangsta, which usually means a fair smattering of misogyny, especially from Geto Boys, so apologies for that.

Anyway, here are some favourites for both US and UK, all pretty old stuff tbh.

Love that opening line, "I started small time dope game cocaine, pushing rocks on the block I'm never broke mang" yeeeeeeah

Even I get offended at Bill's second verse in this, probably the hardest album I know.

Shit's just funky as well dammit, I miss old shit like this with a funky groove backbone, some twang guitar etc, all that cpu hip hop these days is shite.

Willie D

Cube + bomb squad = classic shit

Some UK next - appreciate this is all very acquired taste, I get ridiculed by a lot of mates for liking this shit, but what can you do eh? I got into grime when dating the ex and having to "breeze" through "bare ends" to meet her. Middle class white boy from the countryside like me needed some grimey shit to listen to, hood up, blend in. Worked a charm (I'm still alive).

"I'm eating chicken korma pilau and naan" - love UK flavour shit like that. "old school like Happy Shopper" (Dizzee) etc. Old Wiley was great.

Love Ddouble
  • I love Palmer Squares at the moment, especially Terminal Knowledge. He's an arrogant, snot-nosed little punk and he knows it.

• I would have liked that a lot more if I hadn't seen him at the same time.  I'll guess I'll have to get over it because that wasn't bad and I'm off to Google him.
  • @dynamiteReady - Jean Grae drops an awesome verse on this Cannibal Ox b-side:

• Preferred the first one though scrawl ;)

Edit: Of the TK tracks.
  • Haha - you saw me do the switcheroo. I love them both but for some reason I thought it'd be an idea to go with the shorter one.

Here's one that is audio only - Acumental up first and then Term K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!