Stuff for "Creatives" and whatnot..
  • I was gobsmacked a couple of years ago, when I had to explain to a seasoned, degree-qualified designer, why you couldn't match screen colours on paper.

I used the word 'gamut' and she glazed. Genuinely hadn't got a clue what I was talking about. The standard of colour reproduction education in our industry is staggeringly bad.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • The standard of any practical, production-based education at the moment is shocking. We have a hell of a time finding any young designers to hire who actually know how to choose paper, or artwork a file.

I know it sounds a bit ‘old man shouts at cloud’, but it’s really getting to be a problem. Glasgow School of Art especially – they don’t teach anything practical. It’s four years of creative expression but not a thing about how to put ink on paper.

I’ve started recommending to our work experience kids that they try to get a job in the repro department of a printers after graduating, so that they can learn some practical skills before they try to get a creative position anywhere.
  • Stuff like that is a problem across the board I think.
    Basics that set up kids for industry aren't taught. Fucking none of them can use filing systems properly, not one.
  • Yup. I think all designers should have to do a year at a printers. It'd massively raise the standard.

Of course, the good side of this (for us oldies) is that print designers are getting rare. And commanding a decent day rate.

EDIT: @Liv. Honestly mate, do not get me started on the filing issue. It wouldn't be so bad if they were at leats consistent in their weird structuring. But it seems like they make it up as they do each job. One job has linked files in 'Links', another in 'Supplied', another in various folders scattered across 3 servers AND THEIR LAPTOP DESKTOP / DOWNLOAD FOLDER AARRGGHHH
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's laziness in just replicating the structure of files as they were sent. It is infuriating. I can understand you guys taking that colour chat beyond me, I just use a couple of websites to work out complementary colours and shade on shade combos for highlighting alternate lines, or giving clarity to charts, that sort of thing
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • "I'm looking for a missing linked file, it says it's on your desktop and is called
    DEEZNUTZ_FINAL 03.tiff"
  • LivDiv wrote:
    "I'm looking for a missing linked file, it says it's on your desktop and is called DEEZNUTZ_FINAL 03.tiff"

Photoshop layers/file structure are the worst for this.

- Blue layer
    - Blue layer copy
    - Blue layer copy 2
    - Untitled
    - Untitled copy 7

Gnnnnnnhhhhh
  • I'm quite bad for that, but then my PS files aren't particularly complex.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm quite bad for that, but then my PS files aren't particularly complex.

I regularly have to dive into PSDs with 200-300 layers and the naming conventions of most designers are shocking. I have no idea how they remember what they’ve done when half the layers are unnamed.
  • Yeah sod that.
    At the very least group up related stuff.
  • Nah fuck it. Just use the option + pointer click to jump to the layer or jump near the layer and find it from there.
    I'm not ocd'ing layer names and colour groups. .
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • You are the devil.
  • I have to create 3 concepts for a poster about bananas today.

The temptation to do something hideously inappropriate (a la Crazy People) is very strong.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Do them extra bendy to position yourself as exclusively catering to the very specific needs of 52% of the market
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I have done motion graphics on the side of visuals for a while now. My mograph skills aren't up there yet but bit the bullet and made a showreel.
    I would really appreciate any feedback, anything I'm doing wrong or specifics I could add etc.
  • Needs more boobs.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • *googles shape tool weighted wiggle physics*
  • Cool! Love seeing a showreel, reeeeeeally need to update mine, mines about 3 years old now.

The contents of showreels are often difficult to judge without context. What I would say is your choice of music probably lends itself to faster cuts to the beat (particularly early on - maybe every 4 seconds) but I know from experience how difficult it is to shave a few seconds off a particular scene that you want to show off (don’t be afraid to time remap to speed things up).

Hope that helps. What are your aims of the showreel in general?
  • That's spot on mate. My very close mate (like brothers for over 10 years) is an editor and he said the same in regards to the early cuts.
    I agree. Plan is to do an updated version around June time, tidy up that end and add some more worthy content. I just wanted to get something out there.

Cheers for the feedback.
  • And yeah, know that feeling of old showreel. My visuals portfolio suffers the same.
  • Just watched McQueen on Netflix.
    Never been fully into fashion but always found his work intriguing.
    Fashion was his application but I wouldn't put him with clothes designers, he fits better with the concepts and ideals of the modern art era that ran concurrently with his career.
    In terms of origin and work he shared the ethos of the likes of the Chapman brothers, Hurst or Emin. Not so much about grand expenditure or personal application but finding the idea and appreciating those that can bring that vision to life.

Further on the same theme he was daring, political, sexual, violent and fun.
    An embodiment of the 90s, an era I feel blessed to have grown up in that had a mindset that I very much miss.
  • It’s an outstanding movie, isn’t it? I got to see it in the cinema, and consider seeing some of his classic catwalk finales on the big screen an absolute privilege. Gave me actual goosebumps.
  • He was good in The Great Escape.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Just been given half a day to fully 3D model this room.

Half a day.

This room.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA
    6CmTrPv.jpg
  • I'll see if Turbosquid have anything.
  • Just search for ‘squiggly bits’.
  • One ceiling art please.
  • My man needs a 3D scanner to generate a point cloud of the room you can then convert to a mesh in a 3D modelling package.

Even that would take at least a day and at the end if it you still wouldn't have any material finishes defined!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!