Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yeah will do, it won't be for a week or two as I am so snowed under.

Definitely burning the candle at both ends and the middle at the mo...
  • I always refer to that style as "cut-out" but no idea if that is a proper term for it.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I always refer to that style as "cut-out" but no idea if that is a proper term for it.
    I'm guessing you call it that because of the Photoshop filter?
  • For anyone that wants to learn or develop AE skills Bible

Secondeded. 

Spot on, easy tutorials. Guy who does them, Andrew Kramer, is funny too. And knows how to talk into a microphone.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I always refer to that style as "cut-out" but no idea if that is a proper term for it.
    I'm guessing you call it that because of the Photoshop filter?
    Yeah you are probably right there.

@three1ne
    Yeah definitely. His plugins are great too.
  • We use Lynda.com as a training resource, it's a subbed service but there are a bundle of tutorials for most creative programs. I've been trying to work through their Unity training as diversion to the day job, but scripting chapters delivered with a monotone American accent and a busy workload tend to make it slow going.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Mod, that's simple 'flat' design with a drop shadow mate.

EDIT: Also, a contact sheet of 8-10 designs, plus revisions for £100? Either he lives in India and his rent is £3 a week, or he's a bad designer. STRONGLY recommend to anyone who cares that a designer that offers you more than 2 or 3 options has no idea what they're doing or what your brand is about. Scattershot/blunderbuss approach by average designers is to chuck a load of designs at a client and see what sticks.

A good designer listens to a brief, researches the brand/market/competition then offers a couple (just one sometimes) of effective solutions based on the client's needs. This takes time and, unless they're working for £1 an hour (in which case they're no good), cannot be done cheaply. A logo design will cost in the region of £250-300+, a full branding package may cost many times that, depending if it includes a website, vehicles, stationery, brochure etc. etc. If a freelance designer in this country wants to charge you less than £25 an hour, walk away. Would you trust a plumber that only charged £10 an hour?

And don't get me started on the nightmare that is crowd-sourced design. A surer way to screw your brand there isn't.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Regarding Mod's question, the way I usually see particular styles described is "like Designer X" or "similar to this series by Designer Y", so easiest thing is to find some work by bigger names that looks like it. Not that I agree with strictly specifying to the designer what style they should be using, though; developing the style should be part of the design process.
  • Saul Bass would be your man for the style Mod pointed to.
  • And not being able to remember things like that is probably one of the reasons I only just scraped a pass in my graphics degree.
  • I want to display size of companies (preferably by logo) in a size order. 

I was thinking 

Level 1 - list one company
    Level 2 - list 5 companies
    Level 3 - list 8 companies
    Level 4 - list 6 companies 
    etc
    etc

How do I do that in word? i think i'm close by being in smart-art but its not giving me much freedom. 

Is there another chart i need or another program better suited?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I want to display size of companies (preferably by logo) in a size order.  I was thinking  Level 1 - list one company Level 2 - list 5 companies Level 3 - list 8 companies Level 4 - list 6 companies  etc etc How do I do that in word? i think i'm close by being in smart-art but its not giving me much freedom.  Is there another chart i need or another program better suited?
    If you roughly scribble it out on some paper and post up a picture I am sure that there are plenty of us here who could do something for you.
  • ok cheers, i'll do it now
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Ok, so knocked this up and then thought i could probably do with a title on the left for each line/division of companies. Something to look like this with equal size boxes but the ability to insert new companies at will would be great. 

8oyn.jpg
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    How do you want it, AI, JPG, etc?

I'm not sure I'll get chance today, how quick do you need it? Also colours? And what labels?
  • Saul Bass

Yes.

Related, and for anyone currently studying/wanting to get into design: THIS.

EDIT: Also - MOTO, I'll be starting to look at your stuff tonight. Anything else that I need to know or that you've thought of (including contact details etc. for the van graphics) chuck 'em in an email mate. Ta.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    How do you want it, AI, JPG, etc? I'm not sure I'll get chance today, how quick do you need it? Also colours? And what labels?

It would be good to get it in any file which I can then edit it in the future. Need by tomorrow. Colours can be anything although if its branded with Toshiba colours its going to look more professional. 

Labels would be 

Tier 1
    Mobile Operators
    Service Providers
    MVNO's
    Carriers

What i'm looking for is something which gives me a template i can adapt for updates and can then do my other verticals too.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    WooHoo!
  • Good link Jaco but that sight is an advert mess, for a design sight it is terrible. Will have to check it out with ad blocker at home.
  • Good link Jaco but that sight is an advert mess, for a design sight it is terrible.

I know. Always amazes me that some 'design' site are so damn ugly and don't seem to understand the damage that the advertising can do. Ah well. Content is King, allegedly.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm going to be alright as my van is going to look fucking brilliant.
  • Nice. One of those things that's so beautifully simply it amazes you it hasn't been done before.
  • That is really rather nice, Dan.

Can anyone recommend a Neville Brody tome? (As in, of his works, not an auto-bio/bio.) There seem to be a number about and the quality appears to wander somewhat...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Mod, that's simple 'flat' design with a drop shadow mate. EDIT: Also, a contact sheet of 8-10 designs, plus revisions for £100? Either he lives in India and his rent is £3 a week, or he's a bad designer.

He's actually very good. And lives in Uruguay, so close.
  • Jaco wrote:
    That is really rather nice, Dan.

Can anyone recommend a Neville Brody tome? (As in, of his works, not an auto-bio/bio.) There seem to be a number about and the quality appears to wander somewhat...

This is the only one I'm aware of:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0500274967/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1383603564&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

It was published in '88 though - I've never been a massive fan of his stuff personally.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Cheers for the email Jimbob, I'll forward it on to my business partner and I'll run through it myself soon enough. I'm knackered tonight and I have weights tomorrow so I'll probably be knackered then as well!!!

On another note this isn't my work ethic but I do like the look of these cups!

10678775634_ed2f18eaf8_o.jpg
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I have had a quick squint Jim as I realise it is a bit rude not getting straight back when somebody has put the effort in, soz bud!

I've dropped you a preliminary email.
  • No worries mate. You're a busy fella.

Edit: Thanks Dan, will check it out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!