Anime and Manga
  • Sotheby’s have a Totoro poster for auction, if anyone is a big fan and has a tonne of money:

https://www.sothebys.com/buy/b505b7a0-4818-4a70-b76c-e70ff9c56c8c/lots/ba57a383-8ef8-4f67-868e-28684dc0cace
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • What the fuck? It's just a poster, it's not the original or anything as far as I can tell. That's fucking crazy money, I get it's linen backed and all that shit, but man, surely you can buy a ridiculous quality repro of it for a fraction of the cost?

Each to their own and that, but that seems insanely high priced, amazing as it is. DAT PINK TEXT *chef kiss*
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Eventually went for £8,750. Crazy is an understatement.
  • I am 4 volumes away from catching up with where Berserk currently is.

I originally read up to the end of the Golden Age arc a year or so ago, and now I have just finished the Falcon of the Millenium Empire arc. Fucking hell. Just... fucking hell. It's such a monolithic, well realised piece of fiction.

At this point Miura is over 30 yers into writing and illustrating it solo, and the release schedule has slowed to a crawl, but the level of detail and artistry he packs into each volume is totally unreal. 

For a Manga that just started as a tiny uni project about a guy with a big sword, it's come so far.

zN5yMtd.png

739ybtP.png

arW3Rtg.png

64Gqewg.png

pFGO1AD.jpg

H2bBWgE.jpg

Saxtxjy.jpg

s7L9AcE.jpg

rH9ODZu.jpg
  • Can't remember where I read up to but in the end I think I started to find the sexual violence against women to be too much. It started to leave a bad taste.

The art was always incredible though.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Can't remember where I read up to but in the end I think I started to find the sexual violence against women to be too much. It started to leave a bad taste.

The art was always incredible though.

Same, but always appreciated everything else which is a shame.

Those new films were kinda ok too. Well, the animation got a lot better by the third.

Oh and there’s a Urasawa exhibit in London in June, will deco try and catch that.

• It's definitely the worst aspect of it, but the way I figure is that it's a really small part of it, it's never glorified, and if millions of people are able to stomach game of thrones why not Berserk?

I'd always heavily caveat any recommendation of Berserk with a warning about the content, but it's also a manga that's full of hope, and well rounded characters of all ages and sexes.
  • Not that I begrudge anyone for giving it up, I just think overall it's part of the story and whilst it's unfortunate that it's such an extreme topic to cover, I don't think it's ever that gratuitous. 

Problematic, sure.
    Oh and there’s a Urasawa exhibit in London in June, will deco try and catch that.

Very envious.
  • I dunno Tempy, everything that happens to Casca during the eclipse, culminating with her rape by Griffith, is pretty fucked. I think she gets raped by some of the regular demons during the eclipse as well but I could be wrong as it's been a while. That whole scene is a lot.

Plus that time (a topless) Farnese is taken hostage by Guts and she's almost raped by a possesed horse is pretty bad.

There's a fair amount of it that I would class as gratuitous.
  • I think it’s meant to be pretty fucked. The Eclipse is a horrific event, but it’s not coming out of nowhere at all. Casca’s fate is grim and awful, but I don’t think it is gratuitous, personally. The fallout from what happens has been dealt with for 200 chapters since and it’s never considered a throwaway thing at. Griffith is taking everything he can from the both of them, it’s utterly horrendous and that is entirely the point. I think subsequent situations Casca ends up in are more glib and disappointing, but as horrid as the Eclipse is, I feel it justified itself.

I think Berserk is far from perfect in this regard, but is Game of Thrones much better overall? Genuine question here as I haven’t read it or watched much, but i hear there is a lot of invest, rape, nudity, prostitution and murder in it. There’s a good examination of it that someone wrote that I’ll dig up. Miura has moved away from rape as set dressing recently as well, I think at last count is over 100 chapters since it was portrayed.

There's definitely a lot of nudity in Berserk, and it's nearly all female. I've found it ridiculous that every female character is basically the same body type too, compared to the vast array of men. Miura isn't perfect by any stretch, but whether or not this is cresting a low bar or not, I think it's better than a lot of manga.

Edit: here's the essay: https://anitay.kinja.com/the-strugglers-pain-a-survey-of-sexual-assault-in-bers-1788202286

I guess i just find the idea of it all being gratuitous as something I disagree with. It implies it has no point, when in fact it is the whole point. The trio's relationship with sex and abuse is a huge part of their character. You can argue it shouldn't be necessary, but Miura wrote them like this and he's dealt with it for a long time.

Farnese's horse demon is crass, Wyald's entire arc is awful, the Troll chapters end in a pointlessly crass way too, Casca is submitted to more than she should be, but to disregard it all as gratuitous misses a chunk of context.
  • And y'know maybe I am wrong. I just think the good stuff in Berserk far outweights the bad, which I have been conflicted over during my time reading it. I have recommended it to Ev with great difficulty, because I think it's masterful when it gets things right.
  • It's me, the boy who won't grow up.

Been binging JoJo's Bizarre Adventure recently. Just onto Diamond is Unbreakable. I am not sure if Araki is a moron or a genius, but I don't really care at this point.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Post the baseball pic
  • tumblr_nnok3tkRa81rg7el7o1_1430499017_cover.png
    Even better, it's a videogame in the show
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh, THATS Baseball
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Where are you watching JoJo @Tempy? We just finished what's on Netflix and I enjoyed it a lot, my brother says there's more though.
  • 9anime.net is your pal.
  • Where did you watch up to out of interest?

When I am at home I have a good link to a torrent site for BluRay rips with corrected Subtitles - no more copywrited bad names getting altered! - and no more violence getting censored.

When I am at Ev's I use her CrunchyRoll sub, which has the above issues but at least it has it all available!
  • Brooks wrote:
    9anime.net is your pal.
    #

Are you still into JoJo's or do you think it's bad trash now rather than good trash
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I think Netflix ended with the end of part 2
    Spoiler:

I'll check the Brooks link, was thinking of giving cruncyroll a go but censored violence sounds like a no go.
  • Ah nice, you got through Battle Tendency. It's fun, Stardust Crusaders is INSANE and I love it, the concept of Stand battles was probably a lot fresher at the time but man do they still go to some absurd places with it. JoJo is an old man in this season too, and I absolutely love him. Can't pass up an opportunity to post this gold:

• Jojo is in a league of its own, looking up the mangas in like 2005 was a top 3 all time japan media decision. It has always been supremely good trash.
    My only complaint about the shows have been their disgraceful underfunding, these should've been cost-no-object expressions of the source.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Sorry if it’s the wrong thread but the animation style seemed a fit so here goes.

Have unabashed love for this Kpop tune but unaware it was game related until yesterday, when this vid popped into my feed. Holy kow, the visual flare here is spellbinding.

Best quality stream and headphones advised.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Cup Noodle One Piece add with Zoro. I'd enjoy it if they did one for each strawhat.

https://twitter.com/cupnoodle_jp/status/1131016830045134850?s=09
  • The British Museum has a manga exhibition running form 23 May to 26 August. I’ll be going at some point. 

https://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/manga.aspx
  • I quite liked Red Garden. I especially liked the coda episode.
  • After getting well into JoJo but wanting to wait for Vento Aureo to finish before continuing, I wanted something else to fill the gap.

Decided to tackle another one of the highly regarded Shōnen series, as despite their limited scope and target market being a good deal younger then me, they have a lot of appeal (because i’m a child).

So I decided to do Hunter x Hunter, something is always avoided cos it looked dumb. Turns out I was an idiot cos it’s really good. Each arc is very distinct, and it’s clear Togashi has been refining his ideas for quite a while as everything feel very well honed and developed. I wouldn’t say he properly subverts expectations, but he definitely takes a lot of the genre hallmarks as really twists them in interesting ways.

Gon feels like an honest take on your typical Shōnen protagonist, utterly primal and devoid of any understanding of the larger context of events around him, and a totally inability to see beyond his simplistic moral compass, which I guess is a commentary on Shōnen as a whole. There’s a lot more to it then that, but the fact I finished all 148 episodes of the 2011 anime two days ago, and genuinely cannot stop thinking about it (mainly because the penultimate arc is a grand sweeping epic that’s clearly based on things like the Cell saga but pushed to horrifying extremes) is a really good sign I guess.

I need to take a break from boys punching things so I think I’m going to read Monster, but I’m so happy I took the time to watch HxH and JoJo’s. There’s something really fascinating about how these series write and break a lot of rules that tons of lesser series just don’t quite understand.
  • I'd always avoided it for similar reasons. Think I'll need to watch it now after such a glowing reccomendation.

Same with jojo. I watched a couple episodes of the first series and didn't really like it but the later series have such a good reputation I feel I need to go back.

What was the deal with the crunchy roll episodes of jojo? Something wrong with them or did I misread something?
  • They have translation and censorship issues, nothing huge though. A lot of the Stands and character names in JoJo reference popular music, so you get characters like AC/DC renamed Ascidici etc, nothing wild.

Thing about JoJo is I think you can pretty easily ignore the first three series and jump straight to Diamond Is Unbreakable and you wouldn’t miss all that much, expect for a primer in what stands are, and how banging Statdust Crusaders is.

Couldn’t do that with Hunter x Hunter though. Absolutely need to go with it from the start, which is a big ask. The first arc takes a while to get going, but the quality raises with each subsequent arc (although Yorknew/Phantom Troupe is better than Greed Island IMO). It’s a tough thing to recommend as persevering with such a long story is always daunting especially when it takes a such a long time to unfold, but the moments that make the series stand out only really work because of how coherent it is from the beginning. Shame that the current story in the Manga has been plagued with hiatuses for years, it seems like one of those that may never finish.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I enjoyed the bits of JoJo that are on Netflix (US), really need to get onto the stuff after that. B doesn't care for it that much anyway so would probably be fine with me continuing on my own.

Am only about 10-15 episodes into HxH, and the first two episodes I was afraid it was gonna go Naruto, but it's already quite a bit of fun. Interesting characters and some good animation.
    Last episode we watched:
    Spoiler:

I'm not sure if Netflix has all the arcs, think it has 3 or 4 seasons. Curious to see where it goes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!