Anime and Manga
  • Kengan ashura? Similar to Baki?
  • Frosty wrote:
    HxH was the good shit.
    It's good. I think it tails off after the first 50 episodes.

YR kidding me. Chimera Ant Arc is the GOAT.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    HxH was the good shit.
    It's good. I think it tails off after the first 50 episodes.
    YR kidding me. Chimera Ant Arc is the GOAT.

That was ok, but it wasn't a patch on the Corollo Lucifer shit, and Kurapika's epic revenge arc. I wish they drew the Kurapika story out actually. How he was so severely limited, but so driven by rage...

I enjoyed some of the characters in that (Chimera Ant) arc (the King and his guards were interesting), but by that point, Bleach flashed before my eyes, and it felt like I could find better things to do with my time.

I basically like to think I'm a snob who looks down on that shonen shit, but the truth is I'm old, and much prefer when the studios wrap up the stories.

If it takes more than 50 episodes, my suspicion overrides my sense of suspense.

Also, tbh, I've not watched a good series in ages. 
    But at some point, I want to watch the rest of One Punch Man, and Psychopass 2.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I mean I wrote a big article up there about HxH, and for Gon and Killua's story there's no better ending than the Chimera Ant arc.

If you like Kurapika and Chrollo then I guess it makes sense that you find Chimera Ant less enjoyable because it's about Gon and Killua instead, but it's an utterly required capstone for their story. 

The current arc in the Manga, the Succession Wars is all about Kurapika again. The great thing about HxH is that Togashi has been doing this game decades, he knows the genre inside out and he subverts it at absolutely every turn. Even the Chimera Ant arc, which on the surface looks just like the Cell Saga, is so much smarter than that.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I mean I wrote a big article up there about HxH...

Wait... Where?

I'll read that.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Can't imagine it will have a huge audience here, but I wrote a piece about Hunter x Hunter and why it's one of the smartest bits of shonen out there. Full of spoilers though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bear in mind, I watched this close to 4 years ago.
    Bits are coming back to me in patches.

Killua's family was jokes.

I think what happened with HxH for me, was very similar to what happened to that Heroes TV show that was on a few years back, where the first series was exceptional, but then the wheels fell off in the sacrificial ritual made to appease commercial forces. 

For me, the characterisation is mostly excellent, and some aspects of the HxH world are just as well constructed (the many aspects of the hunter scheme itself. for example... I suspect that, and the character work went hand in hand).

But beyond that, the locations and supporting characters that show up had a kind of 'build as you go' feel to them that really did jar with me. I understand that's an expected flaw to all instances of the genre, but that wilful lack of discontinuity is of greater service to the production team and the advertisers, than it is to any cogent narrative.

Again, I think the characters are great, and some care was taken to ensure that they did some interesting stuff, especially (for me) when Corollo was introduced. But if you look carefully, the Chimera arc was almost a facsimile of the sequence of events that took place with Corollo in season 2.

edit - However, it was still fun to watch. Like I say, I just hate the concept of Shonen, and I'm getting old.

Anyway, I like your analysis of the characters, though I barely remember it all well enough to know if I agree with them perfectly.

Was a good read, all in all.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also, waddup' with Japanese anime and missing fathers? On some alimony shit.
  • You keep ascribing stuff to a production team and stuff but it’s all done by Togashi. Like much Manga it’s a solitary affair beyond the editors they have, and Togashi tends not to get heavily edited. The current arc is faintly famous for having a lot of characters, something like 60+ introduced on the space of a handful of chapters, due to the nature of the Succession Arc. The on the cuff nature of characters isn’t really a marketing thing, it’s just how Togashi do.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You keep ascribing stuff to a production team.

Oh yes. Unapologetically too. Can't speak for the manga, but before HxH, I'd never watched a series with so much padding.

I swear I can remember an episode that literally put Gon on the edge of a cliff to end the show.
  • manga is serialised, so chapters tend to end with cliff hangers quite frequently. HxH is famous currently for having had its last arc dragged out over years because of Togashi’s personal life and back injuries that effect the quality of his art and and release schedule. There’s also the oft repeated joke about Berserk’s crew setting foot on a boat for a short trip only to be stuck on it for ten years because Miura take forever to release new chapters. It’s the nature of the beast when serialised, but I highly doubt many of these long terms pros are dragging things out.

The adaptation of HxH is a lot like JoJo in that it has no filler, it’s basically what was written but animated. It’s not like Naruto or Bleach where up to one third of the episodes are entirely made for broadcast, they don’t have to wait for the mangaka to complete arcs, the story being told is long since finished.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. I had heard about the creator's health, and I've never been the rabid fanboy type anyway (as in, entitled and vicious. Cartoons, games, music, books, etc... All hard work. Even the things I deride are on the shelves, while my stuff is not).

I'm just expressing an opinion.

I liked the ants a lot, but I feel it was a little drawn out in a similar way perhaps to how some people suggest Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a little drawn out.

The Corollo arc actually suffered from that a bit too, but that arc had texture for days and days... Like the girl he seduced to steal her power of foresight... That's a very edgy idea to put into a kids show. And that was just one idea of many, iirc. 

The Kurapika thing too was a very well observed illustration of the relationship between genocide/racism and greed, all wrapped up in a way that makes for quite a detailed introduction to the subject for a young audience.

Really clever work in places.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Kengan ashura? Similar to Baki?

Trailer looked similar in that there's alot of hand to hand fighting. Still not watched epsiode 1 as I've not had time.
  • Chef kiss on choice of soundtracker

• Holy shit that looks really good. Would be worried since the last few adaptations have been awful. Actually, knowing that the anime series, the gyo film and the live action films are all terrible, has there ever been a good Ito adaptation?

Hope this is one, anyhow.
  • Tempy wrote:
    You keep ascribing stuff to a production team.

Oh yes. Unapologetically too. Can't speak for the manga, but before HxH, I'd never watched a series with so much padding.

Try Claymore, or whatever it’s called. Multiple episodes just to cover a single fight, each episode inching the narrative forward by millimetres. Infuriating stuff.
  • And it doesn’t even cover the whole manga
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. I liked the imagination in Claymore, but it was frustrating as fuck to watch. Especially to towards the end of the series (I think it was only one series).

Love the artwork of the manga (though I've not picked it up to read). One of the best I think. Really fantastic stuff. Though I don't consume many comics generally.

Has that stalled, or is it still in progress?
  • Finished years ago
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    @nina 

I am glad you liked it. I like both EoE and the final two parts. They're sort of intersting when viewed side by side, and EoE definitely has some interpretations of the things that are going on. It is very much tied to Anno's experience of depression, and in truth the terrible way he ended up leaning on people to help him.
    Finished EoE last week. Enjoyed it less then the main series. Felt like it was trying to hard at points, the original series leaves a lot more room for your own thoughts and ideas about what's going on.

Couple scenes that stood out as odd to me:
    Spoiler:
  • Been watching a show from the late '60s called Sabu & Ichi's Detective Stories, really digging how the sheer lack of resources pushed the team to get very creative with the shots. Plots are always straightforward crimefighting on Olde Japann with a bit of pathos flung about. The range of facial drawings makes me hate modern anime's dollface bullshit all the more. There's a Jew's harp all over the soundtrack for some reason.
    Anyway it's chill and people should check it out.
  • Scotland Loves Anime just announced their 2019 lineup for Glasgow if anyone is interested (Tempy).

https://glasgowfilm.org/shows/scotland-loves-anime

I'd like to come over to see Makoto Shinkai's follow up to Your Name, Weathering With You but I don't know if I can make it. Your Name looked absolutely beautiful on the big screen so hopefully somewhere local plays it in Ireland.

Was kinda hoping they'd have the new One Piece movie but that was probably wishful thinking.
  • Not going all the way up there from London just for that, no matter how much love Shinkai!

Should be able to see it in London in 2020:

http://blog.alltheanime.com/
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Up to epsiode 5 of kengan ashura. Just replace the title with baki and you've got another fighting brawling anime. I love it, up my street.
  • The tournament fighting in Kengan Ashura is quite good. The Nentendo (yep not a spelling mistake) corporation fighter was funny.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I just found out I can get the last 4 Pluto manga that I still need to read via my library. Don't have them at my closest one but they can have it sent over. Will get on it after I'm done with the Sandman.

Really happy with that, need to find out if they have more good stuff. My branch has a lot of Marvel.
  • Any buzz for Sound & Fury in here?  It's a Netflix made companion piece for an upcoming Sturgill Simpson album due at the end of this month.  Names attached are Takashi Okazaki (Afro Samurai creator) and Junpei Mizusaki (Batman Ninja director).  Do these chaps have chops?  I've heard of Afro Samurai but I don't know whether it was any good or not. 

• Powering through Steel Ball Run at the minute, it's a great refresh of JoJo. All the Stand abilites are fully insane, the illustrations are amazing (i've been flipping back and forth between originals and official colours) and the violence/body horror stuff has really jumped up a notch since he moved from JUMP
  • *looks up SBR on wikipedia*

There is a lot of JoJo.

This must be what it's like for people who think about getting into One Piece with it's almost 1000 chapters.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!