Anime and Manga
  • Sort of, heh. I mean it's been going since the mid 80s so it's not too bad, but you can almost treat Steel Ball Run as a one off as it's a sort of soft reset of the whole series anyway.
  • It's much more digestible than pretty much any other long-running popular manga, aye. Araki is a class act who values your leisure time.
  • Finished Steel Ball Run, what a killer ending
  • I am not enjoying the episode of Stardust Crusaders with the peado orangutan and the sexulised child.

Why does anime have to be like this :(
  • Japan is very behind on... things.

Meanwhile:

There is no way they're capturing the scummy dynamism of the source material here but I can't resent Hayashida getting the kind of payday she richly deserves for basically one of the best and actually sweetest pulp series ever drawn.
  • I have no confidence it will be any good to be honest
  • Yeah we don't need to watch it, and that's fine.
  • Kengan Ashura part 2 (next 12 epsiodes) released on netflixs. Thats me sorted then. Love fighting anime.
  • Kengan Ashura part 2 finished. Bloody hell. Amazing if stupidly violent anime. Tournament continues in part 3, i cant wait
  • Watched all of Canon Busters on Netflix which was amusing enough. I liked the premise and the art. And the story was an intriguing enough.

Watched all of neon genesis evangelion which started off really well but went a bit off the boil when it started to get quite chatty near the end.. The mechs beating up aliens was cool.

Just started neon Kengan Ashura part one. Loving the art style and the fights are pretty epic.

Watched the first few episodes of Sword Art Online but didn't really click with it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Baki on netflix is worth a shot if you enjoyed kengan ashura.
  • Kengan Ashura is amazing - so much action, so much violence, so many fighters!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Kengan Ashura is amazing - so much action, so much violence, so many fighters!

Glad someone else appreciates it. Good man.
  • You'd think they'd stretch it out.. but nope.. here's a massive fight! Here's a massive fight! Have another massive fight! boom! love it. And the little back stories for each contestant.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Watching HxH with Evelin.

We’ve reached the Chimera Ant arc. It’s so
    good. So good. Enjoyed Greed Island a lot more this time
    round too.

OSU!!!

@brooks - I watched the latest Dorohedoro trailer - background art and music seem utterly perfect, as
    does getting the guy who voices Okuyasu in DIU and Knuckle in HxH to voice Kaiman, but CG animation still makes me feel ill.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think this Anime thing is for me. Attack on Titan is supposed to be a good 'un right? But I can't stand the shrieking characters and find myself laughing at how dumb they've made all the Titans. It really takes away from the drama.

I'd stick with it just to laugh at the daftness of it but there's so much bollocks to sit through it wouldn't be worth it.
  • I don't think this Anime thing is for me. Attack on Titan is supposed to be a good 'un right?

Lol noooope.
  • Honestly if you just want to dip and retain a good mood, skip anything after the mid-to-late '90s to be largely safe.

Anime is just a national aesthetic - pick a genre you actually dig in any context and go from there I would.
  • A favourite genre of mine is preposterous splatterpunk, for instance. I certainly have a list of goodies for that!
  • I don't think this Anime thing is for me. Attack on Titan is supposed to be a good 'un right? But I can't stand the shrieking characters and find myself laughing at how dumb they've made all the Titans. It really takes away from the drama.

I'd stick with it just to laugh at the daftness of it but there's so much bollocks to sit through it wouldn't be worth it.

Give kengan ashura a go on netflix. Its great. If you like fighting.
  • AoT is absolute shite and I never got the appeal of it.

Think the safest anime for most folk to get into these days is One Punch Man as it’s a simple enough spoof that’s genuinely good. It’s only a shadow of Mob Psycho 100, but the latter is more a deconstruction than a spoof.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    One Punch Man is indeed the best shout.

Think we watched the first season of Attack on Titan. I do know there are plenty of people that like it, but I didn't see it either.
  • Yeh i stand corrected. One Punch for sure. Forgot about that.
  • I tend to watch more reality-type or smalltime sci-fi based stuff now and not OTT stuff. Like the Makoto Shinkai stuff or recently In This Corner of the World.

Not seen much anime before, Paul? Why not start with Miyazaki or Takahata stuff? Or even Akira and the old classics, Ghost in the Shell etc
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've dabbled in Ghibli stuff before. I was thinking about the TV series mainly. I bounced off One Punch Man early doors. I'll try some more out, cheers everyone.
  • How come you bounced off OPM, what did it?

Anime is very weird, like Brooks says it’s a national aesthetic, but more than that it is a huge part of their society in terms of it permeating everyday culture. You’ve got magazines like Jump which are ruthless publications that take promising artists and throw them to the grind stone of producing high quality art weekly, with the end in sight being very rare. A few artists transcend that, and end up getting to do what they want, and other publications exist (but are nowhere near as huge) but the end result tends to be a very specific type of product that caters to a pre-existing audience. Anime can be worse, as it takes in more cash thus corners are permanently cut for profit or premises are doubled down on for sales.

In the end it’s a lot like any media, there is a lot of it and undoubtably much of it is utter garbage, but even some of that garbage has moments of brilliance. If you can’t deal
    with the way certain things are done - characters going from well illustrated to little comic squiggles in reaction to “humour” then you’ll struggle as they permeate a lot of series, as it’s the aesthetic. You either warm to it, learn to tolerate it as a cultural thing that works there but not here, or it grates on you forever. As a fan/slave of being a critic of anything I like, a lot of anime is worth it despite its worst elements, but I think overall they tell stories at a pace and in a manner that I just prefer over our serialised stuff over here.

Things like JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Akira, Berserk, Hunter x Hunter, One Piece - these are series that have lasted, or are still being made, after a decade plus, by a very small creative team - often one person and a handful of assistants/editors. It’s just really unique these days that one person gets almost near limitless creative control over something and is allowed to do whatever they want - audience be fucked - and it’s often exhilarating.

Contrast that with Star Wars, a series that has been going on for decades too, but has been helmed by different folk in different vehicles, all having different ideas for the time and manner and narrative that best reflects what they believe to be “Star Wars” and it’s a different kettle of fish entirely. Someone like Hirohiko Araki has been making JoJo for as long as i’ve been alive, and it’s been constantly evolving and taking on different stories forms for its different iterations, but it’s more consistently JoJo than any post-OG trilogy stuff is consistently Star Wars.

Later on i’ll write up a list of stuff that I would recommend most people, regardless of their exposure to anime, because I think a lot of the time really interesting one off things get drowned out by current trends. I’d also say that Manga is often the preferable way or consuming a lot of this stuff (Berserk comes to mind as something never done even a fraction of the justice it deserves in animated) but I know a lot of folk would prefer to just watch anime
    for the convenience, myself usually included.
  • I'll do a list later, but I think one of the best and most accessible Anime that is on Netflix these days is FMA.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I think this is the big one when it comes to easy to recommend stuff. It is a complete, finished work. It's only 64 episodes which betrays its impact, as for a time it was as popular as the biggest Jump stuff out there, though it wasn't in Jump, it was Squenix's publication and it ran for 9 years. It really is just a compact, muscular piece of storytelling with a bunch of great characters and an easy to follow plot in a world that feels like a mirror to ours, but with the addition of Alchemy. 

The titular Fullmetal Aclhemist is Edward Elric, a prodigious talent who lost his arm when very young due to a mishap with alchemy - a magic art that requires you to give something in the process. It's a powerful skill, and leads to a lot of brilliant battle sequences (Japanese stories seem obsessed with rules and give and take for results in a way that isn't really a focus over in the West, which makes something like OPM quite an outlier). His brother loses even more - his entire body, nearly losing his soul before Elric binds it to a suit of armour, leaving him a husk. They join their nation's military in order to gain access to secret information so that they may find the Philosopher's Soul, a legendary item that should allow them transpose without cost, in order to regain their humanity. On the way, they get dragged into a bunch of conflicts and conspiracies that wind tighter and tighter to the core of the world.

The story is well considered, and I think it avoids a lot of the typical pitfalls as Arawaka is a woman, which is rare for Manga, so a lot of the weird sexy girl tropes that can happen in these stories is avoided. It leans into more Western feeling stuff as well, but the stakes are high and it just feels so thoughtfully written, swinging from emotional to funny to terrifying to just exhilarating by episode. It suffers from a weak start as the team didn't want to spend hours retelling the same early beats that had already been covered in a prior adaptation. After that it really finds its feet, has a great cast of characters that range from endearing to awesome, and a fictional power system that allows for some great combat with wonderful illustration, and the quick thinking expected in battle anime. 

I genuinely feel that way a lot of the the loose ends in FMA tie up put a lot of other Manga to shame, and unlike a lot of other long running stories that run out of steam, it always feels like Arawaka knew exactly how she wanted to end her story, and where she wanted every character to end up, as such it just feels considered, complete, and perfect little story that is tied up with a ribbon.

If you can tolerate this guy's voice and manner, he pretty much sums up how much of a perfect package it is.

Also, Subtitles. Always subtitles. Never dub (unless it's Cowboy Bebop)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cheers for the effort Tempy, I'll give it another try. I'm not sure what put me off OPM, I don't remember anything sticking out I just didn't have the urge to put it on after the first couple of episodes.

I do have to admit I always go with the dubbed version given the option though, how can you enjoy the animation if you're reading subtitles? Also I find the "foreign dubs are always better" thing to be bizarre, you'd need to understand the lingo to judge, Shirley? Unless people just like the sound of someone babbling incoherent nonsense while they read? IDGI.

I checked who voiced one of the characters in AoT last night because they were so shrill I was put in mind of Lemongrab from Adventure Time. It wasn't him (Justin Roiland, creator of Rick and Morty, is that particular squealer) but I did notice that the character is played by a woman in the Japanese version, so I'll probably still come a cropper there.
  • The direction for dubs tends to be bad. They just don't convey stuff well in my experience, and there have been reports of Western VAs being told to read things very statically and without the emotion they're supposed to portraying, they also often aren't reading a direct translation of what's being said, and that can be even more off putting. It's supremely rare that I've come across a dub I enjoy more than a sub.

As an example, the downloaded copies of HxH I have always start dubbed in VLC and it's just distracting listening to them if they start before I can hit the voice options - the voices just don't suit the characters at all. 

They have Steve Blum who voices Spike Speigel from Cowboy Bebop (pretty perfectly I'd say) as Menthuthyoupi, who is a giant primal monster - it just doesn't fit at all, and is incredibly distracting, whereas the Japanese VA sounds much closer to what Youpi looks like. This happens a lot, Tone, timbre and a whole bunch of other things are more important than just the words being said. I've got to the point where I can recognise certain voice actors from one character to another, often their mannerisms fit certain characters really well. On the other hand, recognising Western voice actors as certain characters is just distracting too, like Steve Blum in the above example.

As for enjoying the animation and reading subs - it tends not to be difficult, dialogue scenes are often sparsely animated, action scenes have less dialogue.
  • It also could be I can just recognise bad Western VA easier than Japanese VA, and I don't feel I lose anything from reading subs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!