Anime and Manga
  • Only anime I've ever watched all the way through is Death Note. That was good.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Fullmetal alchemist is on the to watch list.

For Kengan Ashura netflix gave you the choice of english dubs or original japanese with subtitles. I tried both but settled on the subtitles as it felt more immersive to hear the Japanese even though i dont understand the language.
  • FMA is honest to god incredible. Both OG series and the ‘faithful’ brotherhood. And the manga. All exceptional.

Also the dub for FMA is great, but yeah most dubs are not. I prefer dub these days as I usually get pulled away for some reason or another and need to listen in.

I bought Mirai the other day, looking forward to watching that.
  • @Tempy: out of interest, why Brotherhood and not the first version? I’ve not seen either so keen to hear your thoughts. 

Sorry if you mention it in your post, haven’t read it all as I’m gonna watch (one of the versions) at some point anyway.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Watch old badass shit like MD Geist and Mellowlink.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @Tempy: out of interest, why Brotherhood and not the first version? I’ve not seen either so keen to hear your thoughts.  Sorry if you mention it in your post, haven’t read it all as I’m gonna watch (one of the versions) at some point anyway.

The original version came out when the manga hadn't even finished, so it's basically all filler and no plot, and eventually diverges very early from the manga and finishes in its own place. Brotherhood is an adaptation of the manga, so it's the story as Arawaka told it.
  • Ah, didnae know that. Cheers.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • (Original is still really good imho)
  • It's not on Netflix AFAIK, and the ending of Brotherhood is so great I wouldn't trade it for the original.
  • I think it is actually on Netflix, along with that live action film.

I won’t defend that one.

Brotherhood is well worth watching over the original, for sure. It’s also much nicer animation and quality. I just love the original too, most likely because that’s just what I saw first.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I know there's not as much money in the industry as decades past but that CG element in the Dorohedoro trailer is pretty rank to look at.

Ever since visiting the manga exhibition at the British Museum it's given second wind to my interest. Currently into REAL (I dunno if not starting Slam Dunk first was a good call but the wheelchair angle interested me more), Monster, 20th Century Boys (the current volume I'm on, 17, must be out of print because everywhere is selling it for triple figures), Dorohedoro and Tekkonkinkreet.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh yeah 'n' this JoJo thing.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    20th Century Boys (the current volume I'm on, 17, must be out of print because everywhere is selling it for triple figures)

I remember this being the case for some volumes when I got them about 5/6 years ago, but managed to find the ones I needed in weird places like Waterstones or smiths or something?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Baki on netflix is worth a shot if you enjoyed kengan ashura.

Maybe I should have watched this first as it some how isn't as good as Kengan.

Watched the first episode of Levius and that didn't really grab me either.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I remember this being the case for some volumes when I got them about 5/6 years ago, but managed to find the ones I needed in weird places like Waterstones or smiths or something?

I think they're doing new collections now so I imagine it's gone for good. I'll have to wait till the new editions catch up to the same place.

• Bob wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Baki on netflix is worth a shot if you enjoyed kengan ashura.

Maybe I should have watched this first as it some how isn't as good as Kengan.

Watched the first episode of Levius and that didn't really grab me either.

I saw Baki first then Kengan. Baki is good and worth persevering with. Kengan is on another level though.
  • Why have I not watched Kengan? It's about blokes punching eachother, that's very much to taste.
  • Plus it’s amazing
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Things I look forward to in Dorohedoro.

Getting to see new Sorcerer Masks.

Getting to see how normal someone looks when they take it off.

Experience Hayashida's foodie / fashionista hijacking for a chapter.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Every time Hayashida never forgets to draw Caiman with a pillow stuck to his head.
  • Finding out what shit Ebisu is going to go through today
  • I’m watching the Asterix Wars on Netflix which apparently is another anime about a fighting tournament
  • Bob wrote:
    I’m watching the Asterix Wars on Netflix which apparently is another anime about a fighting tournament

Cool will check out
  • Didn’t take you lads for that type. Guess it takes all sorts.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Didn’t take you lads for that type. Guess it takes all sorts.

You may have to clarify that statement as ive not seen asterix wars. Is there something i should know? I like fighting anime like baki and kengan ashura though.
  • Looks nothing like baki or kengan.
  • It isn't really but it does involve a fighting tournament. It's not hyper violent either. I'm quite enjoying it.
  • There's only a handful of good anime on Netflix.

Anyone watching stuff on there and not watching One Punch Man or Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is just shooting in themselves in the foot. See my earlier impassioned post about FMA:B. After rewatching it again, it's still basically peerless, with some of the best animation in the biz. Bones outdid themselves, the alchemy fights in it are some of the best fights committed to animation, and the final few episodes have some best of the medium sequences.

Other than them you've got Steins;Gate which is interesting time travel based SciFi and Haikyuu which is the current sports manga power player - a bunch of cool lads play volleyball! It's very exciting.

As for stuff not on Netflix, people who like the gross bodies of Baki will probably like Terraformars (despite it being a turd of a show it has a lot of brutal violence in it, there's Hajime No Ippo which is a boxing anime that has been frequently lauded as brilliant.

If you actually watch One Punch Man (and you should, the first season is only 13 episode) then you can hunt down the superior Mob Psycho 100 which is utterly gorgeous and has a brilliant story that only takes up two seasons of your time.

Also watch, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo etc, anime made by crashing together music styles and western sensibilities with all the gracious animation and idiosyncrasies you'd expect from Shinichiro Watanabe.

If you like SciF - Psycho Pass and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Just not uh, Asterisk War? Life's too short to deal with 5s when you could be watching 10s
  • Also watch Trigun.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Trigun is a bunch of fun but you need to get with the times Mr gets-his-name-from-one-of-those-Manga-Video-classics-why-don't-you-just-watch-Baoh-instead-of-JoJo-you-clown

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!