Super Mario Super Thread
  • Except WindWaker is now universally accepted as being excellent? whereas perhaps the tide hasn't turned for sunshine as much (and probably gone down since the Edge [9]days).
  • Is there anything to be said for a game of Mario 2?

While not a true Mario game, it's a damn good platformer with a lot of freedom to play as you like.

Much better than the real Mario 2.

I really like it and like the rest of us had no idea about it not being real until All-Stars came out. I was always a bit crap at it though, which I now put down to it not being a true Mario game, lol

I do prefer The Lost Levels though. People complain that the Lost Levels was a lazy sequel which was more of a level pack but couldn't that be said of Galaxy 2? Nintendo even said themselves that Galaxy 2 was started with the leftovers from 1.

Never understood the negative vibe Lost Levels gets. What was the reason Nintendo of America decided to reskin Doki Doki Panic instead of release the real 2 again? I've heard 2 stories, one being NoA thought it was too hard and the second being they also thought it was too similar.
    Vela wrote:

Kaizo Mario

that hack looks insane, I'd love to give it ago. If thats how hard level 1 is I couldn't even imagine how tough it gets further in. Is that the one that does the rounds on eBay sometimes? There's that, Mario Kart and Zelda ones I've seen on there where they've actually been put on carts and had boxes, instuctions made.
    Vela wrote:

And The Green Demon Challenge

this is a great example of why M64 is so good. Two friends playing a pointless challenge and cracking up having fun in the process.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Never understood the negative vibe Lost Levels gets. What was the reason Nintendo of America decided to reskin Doki Doki Panic instead of release the real 2 again? I've heard 2 stories, one being NoA thought it was too hard and the second being they also thought it was too similar.

There are probably a number of factors..

1. Lost levels was initially a disk release for the Famicom disk system - for a Western release they would have had to code in password support or on=cart backup - probably thought it wasn't worth the effort.
    2. They probably also thought that even on cart it would not be to Western tastes (wrong in my opinion) Not sure about the "too" hard story.
    3. Doki Doki Panic was a flop that Nintendo produced with licenced characters from a Japanese TV company - I guess Ninty decided to squeeze sales out of the title by swapping the Mario sprites into the game - a sequel that they thought would be more to Western tastes plus they get mileage out of a flopped game.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I heard that it was the thing about NoA thinking it was too hard. Whatever it's history, Mario 2 is one of my favourite NES games probably just behind the real Marios. It was a lot of fun.
  • I found it odd they chose Mario 2 as a launch game for the GBA.
  • The real lesson of the whole franchise is avatar physics. They nailed summat incredibly valuable back in the day.
  • Somehow them made the NES's A button feel analogue. Super Mario Bros. is the parkour simulator.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sunshine is gash.

You all gush about the Galaxy games but haven't even fucking played them properly. "Ooh, I'm too busy spawning to get all the Stars!" Fuck off.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • As in dropping sprogs. Not that that's my reason for not getting all the stars.
  • There are some incredibly hard SMW hacks.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I never saw the Galaxies as any more than some brief, throwaway fun, compared to the time I was willing to put into really finishing things on SMW, Yoshi's or M64. There's lots of good little levels based around a clever mechanic, and then you get the star and move on. Enjoyed them lots at the time, but never felt any desire to revisit.

It may also be that by the time they came out I found the whole Mario thing a bit too familiar. It's been a lot of games over a long time and perhaps there's only so many times they can repeat the same schtick before it's just sorta, 'yeah, this again.' In a way it's a testament to the Galaxies quality that they kept my attention at all. But I've had my fill now.
  • Not a pathetic attempt at bragging but I've collected every last star/shine several times over in Sunshine, both Galaxies and every other Mario game I've ever played, with the notable exception of  SM64, which I never got around to finishing for some reason. I'd actually put Sunshine at the top of my list overall, though Galaxy 2 comes a close second.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Except WindWaker is now universally accepted as being excellent? whereas perhaps the tide hasn't turned for sunshine as much (and probably gone down since the Edge [9]days).

I think Wind Waker at the time had the Jackie Brown factor going against it.
  • I got all the stars in 64, but I was totally cheating by using quicksaves on an emulator.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Not a pathetic attempt at bragging but I've collected every last star/shine several times over in Sunshine, both Galaxies and every other Mario game I've ever played, with the notable exception of  SM64, which I never got around to finishing for some reason. I'd actually put Sunshine at the top of my list overall, though Galaxy 2 comes a close second.

I never meant to suggest that your opinion was ill-informed, merely that it is shit and wrong.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Different strokes and all that, eh?
  • Sunshine is the only Mario game where I've spent hours just clambering around purely for the fun of it. More than any other Mario game I've ever played it encapsulated the boundless joy of exploration that is at the heart of the series. SM64 was the first to do this but it wasn't until Sunshine that you were given a fully-fledged playground to explore to your heart's content. The Galaxy games were indeed a little too linear in this respect and the hub worlds were rather dull level-selectors and little else.
  • Sunshine has a bucket load of character.
  • Not all of it good, unfortunately.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can 1CC SMB1 (could 1 life it using warps back in the day) Both NES and All stars versions. My hi-score on my PAL All stars cartridge is 1.4m

Completed Lost Levels (though that was on the All Stars version that saves your progress and haven't attempted it as Luigi)

Completed SMB2 (all Stars)

Completed SMB3 on the NES one Saturday (took around 5 hrs - no saves or passwords - no chance of finding time like that nowadays)

Found all 96 exits on SMW (though I did have to cheat a little bit - using a magazine for some of the trickier exits to find but only really cheated on maybe half a dozen)

Still to get around a dozen stars in M64.

Haven't made any progress on Sunshine.

120 shines on MG1

Only started on MG2

Completed 1st run through of New SMB on Wii (collecting the big coins now)

@Brooks is quite correct - the inertia and friction in these games is alchemy.

• Sunshine is the only Mario game where I've spent hours just clambering around purely for the fun of it. More than any other Mario game I've ever played it encapsulated the boundless joy of exploration that is at the heart of the series. SM64 was the first to do this but it wasn't until Sunshine that you were given a fully-fledged playground to explore to your heart's content. The Galaxy games were indeed a little too linear in this respect and the hub worlds were rather dull level-selectors and little else.

Word!
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Even though you get theoretically higher up in levels in sunshine I still find m64 levels much bigger (= better)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • For me SMB is totally not about exploration. Its about a race to the finish.

There are too many linear levels for it to be a game about exploration. You can try and break the game by going off piste but usually you've been out guessed by Miyamoto et al.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mario was never about exploration for me....I like the linearity of it peppered with little secrets and oddities that can be found if you do a little bit of exploring.

I like a little bit of poking about but not too much...the large coins in NSMBWii are starting to prove elusive but I quite like coin hunts as side tasks in Mario games generally.

The real genius of SMB1 is the duality of the levels - they play quite differently depending on whether you are normal Mario or super Mario - and it has been done in such a clever way as to appear to be quite simple.
  • It's well worth getting them all in nsmb wii
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    It's well worth getting them all in nsmb wii

It's how you unlock World 9 isn't it? I have unlocked the 1st level in that - hard as nails - must get back to that.
  • Yeah, you need to get all coins per world.

Well worth it for a special final level.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I bought GTAV from Birdorf, but apart from that, and Mark of the Ninja (finally, hopefully), December is the month of Mario for me.  I'll be buying 3D World at launch, which is midway through my fortnight off, and plan to finish NSMBU (I reached the end of world 4 iirc).  Saving leave for gaming has worked out well for me in recent years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!