Super Mario Super Thread
  • Does m64 have tight design In its world space? Iirc There are levels which have a tight linearness (ghost house, clock) and world ones which are just a collocation of toys in a similarly coloured box.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Dunno about tight design, but there are lots of opportunities to zig-zag up and across walls, and those pretty much all feel innate to its comparatively small worlds, rather than ‘here's yer wall!’ amid a relative expanse.

Mario 64 could've benefitted from subterranea and more flight, neither of which have ever been a focus in 3D Marios. Mario World's a repetitive game, but some of its ideas'd translate well to 3D, such as platforms that move vertically at the same time as horizontally. Those are still rare in 3D Marios.

If Odyssey doesn't have some kind of sky level, it should. And tunnels are only fun if they're incorporated into enveloping worlds as strategic offerings, not awful left-or-right linear levels by themselves.
  • Been playing through 3D world on the wiiu. It's actually a pretty brilliant game in places. Some of the level creation is the most interesting i've seen. Some of it's gorgeous, really gorgeous. Love the mariokart themed level and the variety of hidden items makes it genuinely satisfying when you find something. The camera is a bit annoying in places but it's seemingly outweighed by interesting level design. It's nice to have more variety than the usual themed worlds of NSMB. I'm no where near finished as Im on world 6 and apparently theres a starworld too but I really like this game.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yeah it's wonderful. Totally agree on the variety. They even spun out the whole Toad Treasure Tracker game from it.
  • In places? It's class throughout.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • didn't realise there was so much love for it. 

There's one level around world 4 which has different graphics, it starts in like a foresty area and is gorgeous. 

Also love the levels on the back of that dinosaur thing. The controls are dodgy as fuck but i couldn't care, it's jokes. 

The mariokart track is also good because it's got sections like princess slide in m64 which is actually fucking fun. 

Love the toad sections (i've got toad too but not started it, will play it after I finish this). Also love the level where there are 6 stars to get but you have to re-do each mini game to get to the end.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • It's great for kids. Otherwise it's pretty dull until the very last couple of worlds.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's amazeballs. It's the first game the boy and I played together properly and it was an absolute joy in MP, especially coop MP where one of you is only 5 yrs old (I think it's him). I'll always love it for those times we had.
  • It kinda reminded me of the fist time I saw Knight Lore on the ZX Spectrum.
  • Its definitely the hardest one to 100%.

The last couple of Worlds are tricky and the last two levels are flat out the hardest 3D Mario has ever been, yes even more than the last level of 3D Land.

There's a lot more to it than people give it credit for, its just fun as fuck tbh.

That said the 3D Land/World games rank below the proper 3D and 2D games for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • We've still to complete Crown World. That 25 (?) star speed thing is a killer.
  • We've still to complete Crown World. That 25 (?) star speed thing is a killer.

The Mystery House Marathon and Champions Road levels are insane. 

If you can do them your truly an elite Mario player, I've yet to do either.

I keep meaning to sit down one day and just play until I do them.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • mk64 wrote:
    Love the toad sections (i've got toad too but not started it, will play it after I finish this).

Brilliant game, I absolutely loved it. Probably in my top 5 for the console.

edit: It also has a very hard last level, glad to say I 100%ed this one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We've still to complete Crown World. That 25 (?) star speed thing is a killer.

The Mystery House Marathon and Champions Road levels are insane. 

If you can do them your truly an elite Mario player, I've yet to do either.

I keep meaning to sit down one day and just play until I do them.

Thanks for the praise ;) done all levels with all characters and got all stamps! Me and Mrs reg poured 40+ hours in
  • mk64 wrote:
    Love the toad sections (i've got toad too but not started it, will play it after I finish this).
    Brilliant game, I absolutely loved it. Probably in my top 5 for the console. edit: It also has a very hard last level, glad to say I 100%ed this one.

You did the Mummy Maze?
  • Yes mate, took a fair few attempts.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Couldn't ever finish the mummy maze so hats off to you.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm cracking on having recently done Bowser.  Star World seems funner than what's gone before.  Shall continue.
  • i've just re bought this (thanks Swirl) as I regretted selling it a couple of years back. It really is a cracking little game, certainly a keeper if you intend to keep hold of the Wii U. I'm sure Nintendo will re release it on the Switch in a couple of years.
  • I like the idea of going back for stamps but is there any easy way of working out which levels they're in? I.e. if I get to the end of the game and I need one more how to I find out which level it's in? 

I've got mostly 2-3 stars on every level. Some are cat dependent though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's a completion page in the pause or minus menu iirc that says exactly what you have in each level down to which characters you've completed it with
  • cool
  • Got have to get all the stamps. It's the law.
  • It kinda reminded me of the fist time I saw Knight Lore on the ZX Spectrum.

*Big HUG*
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    First thoughts about this game, taking a closer look at some of those e3 vids...

This game is suprisingly complicated when compared to other Mario games...
    This hat shit requires a great deall of Zelda like situational awareness.

No other Mario has asked as much from a player. Secrets aside.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • So it took the creator 480 hours to upload this on mariomarker. Took this guy alot less time (about 70 hrs) but this level is fucking insane. 

• 480 hours to upload?! That’s one rubbish internet connection.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • upload means to beat it.
  • To put a level on a player needs to beat it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!