Super Mario Super Thread
  • HD Sunshine is required.
  • Problem with Sunshine is it that failed to match Mario 64. It's just not as well made.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Problem was the camera :(

I was very much into moving the camera about myself at the time, so that didn't bother me. In fact, I had to keep telling myself to stop adjusting it unnecessarily in things like Rayman where it was used more cinematically.
  • JonB wrote:
    Problem with Sunshine is it that failed to match Mario 64. It's just not as well made.

I think I know what you mean but your choice if words are very poor
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Sunshine was a little glitchy too.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • But nothing like m64
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I'll defer to the experts on that one.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Was it glitchy? I never noticed.
  • Neither did I and I clocked it at least three times back in the day.
  • It was glitchy, poor camera angles, invisible walls. ie not as well made.

And nothing to match the inspired level design of M64.
  • That's poor design, not glitchy. Not that I remember any invisible walls, apart from possibly out in the sea on the hub, mind.
  • Galaxy was poor. M64 is still the best one. I really want to try the 3DS outing at some point, and will keep an eye on the new job with the cat suit and 4 players and that.

Is a bit hard though because I've never had any love for Mario the character or his general universe. Even though under analysis there's nothing terribly vanilla about any of it, that was my initial impression and I can't shake it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mario World is best. You're all wrong.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Now't will ever best the feeling Mario 64 embued myself and many others with - such is the case with revolutionary titles. However I found Mario Galaxy very close indeed - far better than I had anticipated - I even went as far as to collect all 120 shines.

M64 also benefits from efforts that arise when playing with limited resources. The smaller amount of storage available forced the issue re squeezing ideas into a smaller number of levels - and it is all the better for it. Galaxy could be accused of being a little bit wasteful of resource - when you have more space to fill you can afford to leave lesser quality content in. However the worst of Galaxy's levels could really only be accused of being forgettable - but it would a tough act to have that many levels all being memorable. The "worst" levels are pretty good...
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Super Mario World is one of my favourite games of all time. It was the first console game I ever played. Me and my brother got a SNES for Xmas and I have never been so excited about a Xmas present.
  • First console game I ever owned. Got SNES SMW pack for 13th birthday back in 1992. Wanted the new SF2 pack, but I ended up being glad that it was sold out and I got the SMW pack instead with its 2 controllers, composite cable, and being £30 cheaper.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • pandajimmy wrote:
    As brilliant as they are, the Galaxy games are way too linear for my liking. They're solid in every other department - the way Mario handles, the music, the ingenious level design - but sometimes I just wanted to forget about collecting stars and rabbits and just do some exploration instead. The thing I really miss about EAD1's stuff is the roomier level design. And they knew how to do hub worlds - full of hidden nooks and crannies and just fun to faff around in.

Thats a great point. I remember exploring Bomb-omb Battlefield and getting a Star that I wasn't even meant to get, couldn't do that in Galaxy.

Vela wrote:
    I found sunshine quite difficult and gave up back in the day. But I loved the hidden no fludd levels and dreamt of a game just made of those.

We got two. <3

This.

Sunshine is the only one I never got 120 Stars in. Think I fell about 15 short. Missed all the 30 Blue coin ones and about half a dozen regular ones I believe.

One I remember doing my head in was the Yoshi fruit one in the Harbor level. You had to get a certain fruit for Yoshi which was a pain in itself, then you had to spit the fruit out at fish to creat platforms which only lasted a certain amount of time. If Yoshi fell in the water he died. Royal pain in the arse.

I also seem to remember that you could only tackle the Stars in a certain order. I basically had to do that one before I could get others. 64 had much more freedom in that respect.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just preordered 3D World! :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Nice, where from?

Amazon seem cheapest atm at £39.99
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Game.

I was in the store buying Pokemon, and couldn't resist.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Is there anything to be said for a game of Mario 2?

While not a true Mario game, it's a damn good platformer with a lot of freedom to play as you like.

Much better than the real Mario 2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I quite liked the "real" Mario even though it was largely more of the same.

I take it by Mario 2 you mean the Doki Doki Panic sprite swap? I really liked that too - I played the All Stars version of that - played it loads - took me a decent amount of time to complete it too.

The enemy characters became part of the Mario-universe - the shy guys and Birdo are the main additions but plenty more of the enemies ended up in subsequent "true" games.
  • I have very fond memories of Sunshine, leaping on top of the buildings in the village with the Fludd was loads of fun for me back then.

I'm ashamed to say I traded in Galaxy before I finished it because I just kind of stopped playing it, which is stupid because I can't seem to play anything for longer than two weeks these days. And inevitably I've been dying to play it again, perhaps I should just get Galaxy 2, still £35 on Amazon though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sunshine really annoyed me - when I first got it I traded it in after a week or two. I re-acquired it some time ago and have always intended to give it a second go after reading more about it.
  • Speaking of all things Mario, these are my two favourite themes of Mario videos doing the rounds.

Kaizo Mario

And The Green Demon Challenge
  • I love SMW hacks
  • I have no idea what was going on in the second video at all.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    You activate an extra life, then try to collect the 8 red coins and star without the life catching you.  It's great fun, I've only managed it on Cool Cool Mountain though.  The video of them doing it on Shifting Sand Land is the best.
    I got 120 stars on SM64 again recently, the last one ended up being one that Toad gives you which was a bit of an anticlimax.  It still has the best "handling".  His acceleration, speed, jump arc, wall kicks that actually have to be timed, a long jump that can be performed again immediately without the irritating pause you get in Galaxy, the dive etc.  He's never been as fun to control since

Also, Galaxy's almost-a-double-jump spin attack can go away please.
  • Ah, gotcha. Were those disappearing into the flowers bits always there, then? I don't remember them.
  • SMB (NES), M64, Galaxy and SMWorld are four of my top five favouritest games ever. OoT being the other.

This new Mario looks pretty good too. I can't wait to see how she handles.

Sunshine is criminally under-rated. The WindWaker of the Mario franchise.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!