Super Mario Super Thread
  • Don't worry moot, it won't be any harder/easier than any of the others. You have missd out on some truely magic Mario moments by not playing past the credits though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 3D Land before the credits is a 7/10. 

After the credits, it's an 11.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Seems a bit daft to focus on bare credits completion cos that really means nothing for Mario games. As long as it takes longer than 20 hours to 100% I'll be fairly happy although I imagine it'll take longer than that.

I've been playing a bit of the Challenge mode on NSMBU again, checked the Activity Log, 42 hours. Nowhere near finished with the Challenge mode. Can't really moan about the pound per hour ratio with that one, even once the fee for NSLU is added.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I might go for the 100% in this one then.  I opened all the levels in the GBA port of SMW, does that count as full completion? 

Just a credits run on Mario games is still exceptionally entertaining though; the twelve hours I spent with Galaxy 2 was magical.  Red Dead Redemption might be a slightly odd but not entirely out-there comparison: I rarely play open world games, and when I do, I pretend they're linear experiences and go from required task to required task.  Am I missing stuff that people enjoy, or even what fans might consider the 'true' experience?  Yes.  Am I still enjoying myself on the way to those credits?  Yes.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I might go for the 100% in this one then.  I opened all the levels in the GBA port of SMW, does that count as full completion? 

Am I still enjoying myself on the way to those credits?  Yes.

1) All 96 exits?

2) Thats all that matters
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • played some sunshine over the weekend:

Mario controlled like a dog. It might have been the controller but...im not that convinced it was. The whole fluff thing was also fiddly shite. If felt like Mario trying to crowd into that third person shooter with narrative market and felt a complete botch.
  • 8 hours to the credits is an excellent length, pretty much spot on for me.

Other than 64 (which I cheated with, as previously mentioned) I've never actually clocked a Mario game, so how long the content after the credits lasts is pretty much irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned.
  • I opened all the levels in the GBA port of SMW, does that count as full completion?
    1) All 96 exits?

Yes.  I checked a guide along the way (actually, iirc you opened one of them up for me too), but that's the only Mario game I own that I can say is done and dusted.  I hear you did the last two worlds after I left on Saturday.
  • Yeah you did everything then. SMW was the first one that was easy to complete and the challenge was getting 100%.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Seems a bit daft to focus on bare credits completion cos that really means nothing for Mario games. As long as it takes longer than 20 hours to 100% I'll be fairly happy although I imagine it'll take longer than that.

I've been playing a bit of the Challenge mode on NSMBU again, checked the Activity Log, 42 hours. Nowhere near finished with the Challenge mode. Can't really moan about the pound per hour ratio with that one, even once the fee for NSLU is added.

Just checked my activity log, took me 38h51m to 100% the main game, haven't done the challenge mode yet though.

Also I completed SMW on the VC last night and that only took 3h48m, granted I've done that before so didn't get massively stuck but its interesting nonetheless.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Whoever said Sunshine is the Wind Waker of Mario games I sorta agree with: it's one of the weakest entries in the series.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Whoever said Sunshine is the Wind Waker of Mario games I sorta agree with: it's one of the most misunderstood entries in the series.
  • I've only played a small bit of it but its pretty bad. Even the lauded platform secret bits are kind of crap because of the camera and Mario takes an extra drunken step (I've only played one of them but I could not even BEAT it despite it being world 1)

• I said it and I meant what Igor said, obviously.

Equally obviously I haven't played it in about 10 years so fuck knows how well it stands up. But back in the day I loved it.
  • Sunshine's biggest failing was introducing those stupid islanders. They are the Jar Jar Binks of the Mario series.
  • オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Every video I watch seems to make the game look even better than before! Can't wait :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Looks like a mixed bag to me. Some of that looked dire.
  • Looks incredible to me.  Most importantly, it doesn't appear to have even the faintest whiff of rush job.  I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that I'll love it.
  • I'm sure I will, on the whole, too. When I finally play it, blowing on the microphone is going to be a low point of the entire year, though.

• Some of it does look a bit unimpressive. Touch and microphone bits? Whatever. Lots of coins on a train? Whatever. Captain toad levels look like they might be good.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    it doesn't appear to have even the faintest whiff of rush job.

I should have edited that straight away.  The Kart section clearly whiffs of rush job for example, but the overall package is becoming so fleshed out it doesn't feel at all like the stop-gap I thought it might be.  Bring on the couch multiplayer.
  • Does feel like they're putting in too many different things though. I want lots of platforming bliss with new mechanics.
  • These trailers make the game look awesome - but thats when the action is zoomed in close and everything looks super colourful and pretty...

Actual gameplay is very much Mario Land 3d with bells and whistles, which many here will be fine with - looks to me they've done their very best to pad it out and chuck in extra bits.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm really confused why people keep imagining that this game is some kind of slapdash rush-job when it's had two years for development, same as every 3D Mario post-Galaxy.

Dunno how extensive that speed-run thing will be but I'm increasingly convinced I'll be playing this for a lot more than 8 hours or whatever it was.
  • I've just realised what the familiar feeling irksomeness I'm getting from it is. It's like they've crossed standard Mario with Mario Party.
  • @ere
    Cos M64 Sunshine and Galaxy had pretty large gaps between release I imagine.

• It looks shit. They've reused elements from the 3DS version. Like pipes and stuff. Lazy.
    "Workmanlike" in fact.
  • Isnt number 9 free with all the gba games?

Nice to see the mario 128 clones finally used.
    0mario-128-2.jpg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    omg i can see things from 3d land like coins and goombas rushhackjob portsequel i'm calling it now whooooo

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!