Super Mario Super Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really don't get the hate that some have for Mario 64's older handling and camera. Now maybe if I had played more modern stuff I'd feel it - but I find it's fine. I still really like it and will boot it up from time to time. Galaxy is better though - of course it is. Most of Galaxy's shines aren't that challenging - it's more about the entertainment value. I remember it being head spinning - clearing shine after shine and I had to stop myself from playing at times to ration it out......but there are a few stinkers - there was a purple coin level with disappearing floor tiles? I think that was the 120th one I got.

SMW felt like a backwards step from SMB3 initially. It felt smaller (it is - it has less levels). There are less suits as well but a lot of those were throwaway - the frog suit, the hammer bros suit, the Goomba boot etc were one offs. 

The more you play it the more you see that SMW is far, far more refined. You get the spin jump and Yoshi and those two additions really add quite a bit to the game. I prefer SMB3's Tanooki suit to SMW's cloak but everything else was a an improvement on SMB3.  SMW's map is a work of art in itself - and the branching level paths with the hidden exits are implemented in a far better way than they are in SMB3 that just offers alternate paths on some world maps.

I really don't think SMW will be topped. It would require a huge effort from Nintendo that wouldn't make a financial return so we really won't see its like again.  The "New" series of games are quite different but are solid - I really liked the Wii game in 1P but it's a different series of games and feels quite different.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Best chance of Mario World being topped is in Mario Maker 2 imo.
  • Having a chin scratch about Sunshine, my memories of it are largely that it's a great game most of the time, but it does have some of Nintendo's absolute nadir in it - specifcally: Sand Bird, Secret Pachinko, Secret Tossing Mario, and Secret Leaf Boat - all four of those levels are disastrous, and two of them are awful because getting to them is a chore, and failing them gets you booted right back to the start of a nightmare path to get back into them. Hateful design.
  • 3D land is bin tier for me. Just infuriating to play thanks to that fixed perspective camera.
  • Came across Secret Pachinko for the first time, in fact. The last coin just wasn't happening. Quit in a huff. Stupid game.
  • Mario Galaxy is an antithesis to a lot of the problems in sunshine imo. I think they wrote on a chalkboard all the awful things in sunshine and explicitly remedied them.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Having a chin scratch about Sunshine, my memories of it are largely that it's a great game most of the time, but it does have some of Nintendo's absolute nadir in it - specifcally: Sand Bird, Secret Pachinko, Secret Tossing Mario, and Secret Leaf Boat - all four of those levels are disastrous, and two of them are awful because getting to them is a chore, and failing them gets you booted right back to the start of a nightmare path to get back into them. Hateful design.

That's what a lot of my Sunshine memories entail.

That and being genuinely gutted at the lack of the back flip and long jump.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • In subsequent attempts I just don't bother going after those levels, no need to hamper my own enjoyment. There rest of it is great, I love its little special zones with their wooden blocks.
  • Yeah, they're the best of the game imo.

I'd love a game of just a hundred or so of those, in the same way the Captain Toad levels in 3D World spawned it's own game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Regs’ list is spot on perfect
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Played some more and shockingly SM64 has gone way, way down in my (over-inflated by time % memory) estimations. Sunshine remains a mixed bag (wtf are those long nosed freaks, + Tempy white knights it + F.L.U.D.D. the mechanical abomination). Still a great game by any other devs yardstick.
  • SM3DWorld is fucking ace with a small child. If you don't have one to hand borrow one and see its majesty.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • indigoDos wrote:
    Still a great game by any other devs yardstick.

Agree.  It's surprising how few have got 3D platformers right.  Chances are I said this recently but Astrobot really is up there with how the character controls.  Even without VR the movement would just feel right - coupled with decent stage design - which just isn't the case in most attempts.
  • Yeah gotta agree.

Being a bad Mario doesn't mean it's a bad game at all. Sunshine is still very good, from what I've played I'm thinking 8/10. Its just that many of the others are 9s and 10s.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah gotta agree. Being a bad Mario doesn't mean it's a bad game at all. Sunshine is still very good, from what I've played I'm thinking 8/10. Its just that many of the others are 9s and 10s.

I think it was an Edge 9 if I remember right (back when an Edge score usually meant something although they gave MKDD a 5 for some reason). It's a damn good game. It just had to follow Mario 64 and has Galaxy after it.
  • Ah I was about to post that I remember the Edge review! They ended with some negativity but I think said “it’s the second best platformer ever. Celebrate that” or something. Basically, it might not be the best, but it’s still second best (at that time).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    ygLJa15yt4lIcAE-DVokekIhdkI=.gif
  • I absolutely adore the delfina island tune - I think that and the music from the worlds without flood are may absolute favourite Mario tunes.  Can't get them outta my head.  There a lot to like in Sunshine but i still haven't completely unlearned the 15 years of right stick moves aim and i'm finding the shooting the water thing really tricky.
  • Its little QOL updates like that, that should have been implemented.

The ROM excuse doesn't cut it either as they changed the camera in 64 to suit modern sensibilities.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Also odd that in 64 they changed little things like 'Press Start' To 'Press +', yet in Sunshine the X Button by the Flied is still the kidney shape from the GCN version.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So basically, aside from the graphical boot and 16:9 aspect upgrade, 64 has more actual tweaks. From what I've played anyway.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They've really messed uo the cutscenes in Sunshine too.  It's like a horrible hybrid of zooming in AND stretching the image to fit the new ratio.  Worst of both worlds, yeah!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you aren't going to do it right then don't do it. Could have just kept the 4:3 and had nice border art.
  • That DF retro praised the cut scenes, odd that they missed that, they're usually spot on.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It’s really fucking clear what they’ve done. I’ve only played docked though so maybe I’m missing something.
  • In other Mario news, Tilly has started making levels for me in Mario Maker 2 that aren't trollface unpossible. It's in with a shout for best game ever surely.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Think I’m gonna wait until these have been remastered. A redone Mario 64 would be lovely. Also only played about 10 mins of galaxy 2.
  • You’re going to be dead by then. Nintendo are too lean to put too much resource in old games.
  • It’s really fucking clear what they’ve done. I’ve only played docked though so maybe I’m missing something.

They’re much better in handheld. Just put another 90 mins into Sunshine. Got to the second one of the abstract levels in the first world (dirty lake). Nearly killed me. I swear I walked this game in my 20’s, but my wife is saying I played it for hours.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!