The best bits for humbugs; a christmas thread
‹ Previous1234
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    So here it is it's december.

There'll be some festive things that happen, I am sure that you look forward to. Perhaps a particular local haunt that sells some vicious brew at this time of year? Or perhaps you've got one of those lego advent calendars or even one of those Whisky ones?

For me it's the survival of the worlds biggest straw goat, as locals try and torch it or vandalise it to some degree.

https://twitter.com/Gavlebocken

Oh yeah, I'm hoping a place called the Kaz in Liverpool opens it's winter garden again and also I am looking forward to mince pies. There'll be some other stuff that will no doubt come to mind.

Here is goat...

oLaVqMz.jpg

Your turn...
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Here in Brum we have German Market, which is basically walking around in the cold eating big sausages and drinking beer.

Haven't been in a few years.

I just love the whole Christmas experience. Watching classic/bad Xmas movies such as "it's a wonderful life", "scrooged" and "the holiday". I know it's naff, but sometimes a bit of naffness is good :-)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    We had the turning on of the Christmas lights in Brentwood on Saturday which was as dull as it's been for years. Or celebrity switcher onner was some guy dressed as The Snowman.

Best thing about this time of year for me is Starbuck's Eggnog Lattes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    beano wrote:
    worlds biggest straw goat

When I get home Imma build the world's biggest echidna made out of pizza boxes and discarded Lionel Richie CDs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Our continental market in Belfast, while consisting of a lot of beer tents and reindeer burger & Bratwurst stalls is relatively small but worth a visit.

christmas-market-450x235.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Doesn't every major city in the UK have one of those now?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pretty sure - there seems to be a "circuit" with the same types of stall appearing everywhere now. Still - it's setup here conicides with the lights being switched on and marks the start of the season as it where.

Our beer tents tend to be rather lively too.

• I do like a good Christmas market.
    Incidentally, the German Christmas market in Manchester (where I live) - which marks its 15th year this year - is apparently the biggest in the UK and had a turnover last year of c£70M.
  • Do you live in Manchester igor? I may spot you sampling the delights of a giant dead hog at the Christmas market then.

I am v. excited about the Christmas markets. I go every year, about 2 years ago it started snowing while we were walking round it, magical. I'll also be heading to the Cornerhouse again for their showing of It's A Wonderful Life.

My advent calendar was a cheap one from Aldi, I dislike all these branded ones which have nothing to do with Christmas. I was also hoping it would have that cheap, plasticky chocolate taste from not being foil wrapped but alas. Still pretty good though.

Just about to put a Christmas film on too :)
  • I only drink sherry on Christmas Day, which is ridiculous because I love it (really love it). Same thing applies with Chrismas pudding. I had pigs in blankets last month so I can't include them.

Christmas Day is also the only day of the year when I drink steadily from about 11am, paying no heed whatsoever to mixing grape, grain and Baileys. Best day of the year, and I'm not even cooking this Christmas.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I got in to sloe gin last crimbo, and port ofc. That I will be looking forward to. And asleep by nine!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I do like a good Christmas market.
    Incidentally, the German Christmas market in Manchester (where I live) - which marks its 15th year this year - is apparently the biggest in the UK and had a turnover last year of c£70M.

We go every year, I'm looking forward to this year as the little one will appreciate it all more. Booked next Tuesday off to go during the day, as the weekends are bonkers. It's my favourite smelling place.
  • beano wrote:
    sloe gin

The undisputed king of gins.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a shame I don't use the trains much anymore. I enjoyed hearing carolers sing Silent Night coming home from work waiting on the platform.
  • beano wrote:
    I got in to sloe gin last crimbo, and port ofc. That I will be looking forward to. And asleep by nine!

I made my own flavoured gin this year.  Taste the Difference Sainsbury's gin, cranberries and blood orange peel - infused for six weeks.  I didn't add sugar because I don't like sweet gin, but I did add poppy seeds so I could call it the Poppy Seed Bandit for an in-joke.  It tastes like arse tbh, but I've only had it straight so far, and it looks superb.
  • Took bubby to the German Christmas market in Vancouver yesterday. She fucking loved it:
    rtSdmdG.jpg?1
  • Where's the comedy reindeer/elf hat google? Surely she's the perfect age to subject to that kinda thing. Think of the embarrassment opportunities when she's older.

My favourite part of Christmas is the food. I'm having a party next weekend and the menu's been planned out for ages.

Looking forward to Christmas lunch too. The best bit is living off leftovers for a week. Practically drooling already.
  • See, the thing is, I get way more looks from the ladies if she looks cute and styled than if I dress up her up in an outfit.

Saying that, I did put her in an elephant costume at Halloween. She looked ridiculous.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Was it an undead Elephant?
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Was it an undead Elephant?

Hah. Nope. Just a random elephant. We took her to the local mall to go 'trick or treating'. Watching a 14 month old baby, in a shitty elephant costume wander around a mall was amazing!
  • Surely one of the best bits of a child is dressing them up in ridiculous costumes.
  • Ah man love xmas markets, Where is the London one? Is it good or just an overcrowded pain in the ass?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hit the market this evening-went with wifey and our 2 teen daughters - I am now £65 lighter for the experience.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah man love xmas markets, Where is the London one? Is it good or just an overcrowded pain in the ass?

I was at one in Hyde Park a couple of years ago - was pretty big. Cirque de Soleil had a show under a big top (was very good).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah man love xmas markets, Where is the London one? Is it good or just an overcrowded pain in the ass?

There are quite a few around, take your pick.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    decorations up tonight....wifey back from a booze up in Poland tomorrow and will no doubt add some finesse. This is the first time the teenage daughters did the internals - significant. However just noticed about a 2ft stretch of the icicle-style lights outside aren't working - fuck it. Up the ladder again tomorrow to see if i can disguise it by overlapping the 2 sets I use to cover the front of the house.

Also can't find the rugby ball style external electrical connector I use for a rope light I string along the top of a fence I have at the side of the house - it means it is somewhere in my shambles of a shed - will have to go looking for that tomorrow too.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Here in Brum we have German Market, which is basically walking around in the cold eating big sausages and drinking beer.

Haven't been in a few years.

I just love the whole Christmas experience. Watching classic/bad Xmas movies such as "it's a wonderful life", "scrooged" and "the holiday". I know it's naff, but sometimes a bit of naffness is good :-)
    Oh how I hate the fucking german market, every year I end taking the kids and every year I feel like stabbing myself in the eyes to make it stop. It officially marks the point I will no longer visit town for the rest of the year.

• n0face wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Here in Brum we have German Market, which is basically walking around in the cold eating big sausages and drinking beer. Haven't been in a few years. I just love the whole Christmas experience. Watching classic/bad Xmas movies such as "it's a wonderful life", "scrooged" and "the holiday". I know it's naff, but sometimes a bit of naffness is good :-)
    Oh how I hate the fucking german market, every year I end taking the kids and every year I feel like stabbing myself in the eyes to make it stop. It officially marks the point I will no longer visit town for the rest of the year.

Oh god bless you. You know that makes you officially old, right?

I'm going to the markets next week. CANNOT WAIT. Even though I can't really eat or drink anything there I can usually find a stall selling some kind of chocolate monstrosity to eat.

I might go buy our tree tomorrow and get all festive in here. I am the last bastion of taste and class when it comes to Christmas round here.
  • Yes, yes I did make a video of my Christmas Decorations. What of it?
  • Man, that is fucked up.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!