No Man's Sky
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    and how many PCs might exist with that spec.

An absolute ton, my pc is 3 years old and soundly outperforms the new gen consoles, so yeah, plenty.

If they can tune it into it well enough, this game might be a good contender for the use of Oculus Rift-alikes for both PC and Sony's own effort. Would be very interesting in that regard.

It's worth noting that this is a game that looks very pretty because of the actual art design, not how much work the system is doing, from my own assessment of what i've seen at least. There's nothing too stressful going on and it's exactly the type of game that scales extremely well. The appearance suggests something like a PBR (Physically Based Rendering) approach in shader use but with NPR (Non Photorealistic Rendering) art design and textures - the stylised look is strangely physically plausible but completely art-centric. It's a very pretty effect and something i've been keen on looking into myself for some time
  • Ian Bell's website is ever so slightly ou

Sorry, got cut off. It's ever so slightly out of

Arse dammit, CompuServe, would you stay connected for two sodding minutes?! It'seversoslightlyoutofdate. Yay, did

• Surely we can communicate and select a destination to meet up? Can't be that hard if we all share the same map.

You can find a place to meet up, like the guy said you can follow the actual course of other people's journeys, it be EASY to meet up? No chance, you have billions of systems to start in, everyone will be hundreds/thousands of light years from each other. It will take an extremely long time to meet where you arranged

JMW - Ian Bell's involvement in Frontier was 'supplying algorithms for drawing planets and suggestions for control systems' Ian Bell power-bitterness interview. Frontier was imo an astounding programming achievement, as much so as Elite was. So no
  • All websites will look like that one day.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    krs wrote:
    Ian Bell's website is ever so slightly ou ... Sorry, got cut off. It's ever so slightly out of ... Arse dammit, CompuServe, would you stay connected for two sodding minutes?! It'seversoslightlyoutofdate. Yay, did ...
    It's had over 220000 hits. That's a lot more than my GeoCities site ever got, until I switched the counter to a .gif
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Surely we can communicate and select a destination to meet up? Can't be that hard if we all share the same map.

You can find a place to meet up, like the guy said you can follow the actual course of other people's journeys, it be EASY to meet up? No chance, you have billions of systems to start in, everyone will be hundreds/thousands of light years from each other. It will take an extremely long time to meet where you arranged

Yeah if everyone is spawned on opposite ends of the galaxy you're fucked, but you can hope that of everyone here with the game you'll be close enough to someone to attempt a meet up. The closer you get to the centre the more chance you have of running into a badger.

If not, and it's so big that arranging to meet up is futile due to the time to travel the distances involved, then the journey to the centre of the galaxy would be futile too wouldn't it?

If the galaxy is the face of a clock, and I spawn at 12, you spawn at 3, we could plan to meet up somewhere along the line between the centre and 1/2 and exchange space pleasantries, couldn't we? Or am I talking shite?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Well, if there are 10mil systems on the outer ring, then you have a 1/100000 chance of spawning in a system next to one of us (if there is 100 of us, which I don't think there are).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Imagine we spawned in as neighbours Goobs?

Would fucking ruin the game for me that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, me too, would be shit.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    and how many PCs might exist with that spec.

An absolute ton, my pc is 3 years old and soundly outperforms the new gen consoles, so yeah, plenty.
    I know there'd be a lot, and it will probably run on a pretty scabby machine at 640x480 if you turn the grass off, but I have no idea how many that is.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • If this game randomly generates content but once something's been 'discovered' then it actually exists so other players can see it too , wouldn't the memory requirements for a game of this size be absolutely fucking huge. Or am I misunderstanding?
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Each planet only needs to exist as a seed code. Probably 0.1kb or something. It'll render it from the seed when you get close.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I asked the same thing earlier in the thread. Can't remember the answer I got off Chump, maybe something to do with storing it all server side.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Each planet only needs to exist as a seed code. Probably 0.1kb or something. It'll render it from the seed when you get close.

Ah yeah, I remember that bit about him getting philosophical regarding whether or not the planet exists if no one discovers it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, the seed generates the same planets for everyone, so they exist without existing.
  • If you watch the Braben talk on the previous page it explains it all, more or less. The amount of storage needed for generating the entire universe is probably less than 16 bits. Literally enough 0s and 1s to represent a six digit number even. Everything then uses a sequence based on that number to generate itself, modifying its nature or existence based on an extensive rule set governing how the universe behaves

The sequence is the same for everyone
  • I would live to work on procedural rendering. Flying around Just Cause 2 would bug me because the procedural landscape was fine but the stuff they laid on top was stupid.

Why the fuck does the road bend? There is nothing for it to go around. Why does that tiny island with four shacks on it have a massive suspension bridge connecting it to the main island? Who would build a military base here when 1km north would have access to the river and be able to choke that whole valley?

I'd love to write the rules around that shit and set them free in a galaxy like NMS.
  • Just Causes landscape was procedural? I wouldn't think it was.. the story was too dependent on it being authored surely? Nice point though, a strong set of rules could feasibly create a much better game landscape than authoring could do - if the rules are based on a strong knowledge of how/where/why a feature exists, it could be much better than a team of level designers who don't really have this knowledge. Question is though, wether the rules would create good gameplay
  • That alone wouldn't. It should free up some guys to work on the important stuff though.

Edit - JC & JC2 were procedurally created from a topography map that was drawn by a human Sweed in their editor. The engine decides if it's sand, rock, snow, jungle iirc. I think the roads and cities are added on top of that. There are a few places where the land has obviously been tinkered with to accommodate a road or something.
  • Nah its a good point about getting to the centre of the galaxy. The closer you get the closer you get to similar neighbouring players converging. By the time people actually get near the centre of the galaxy Id id imagine there will be a clusterfuck of players mingling.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Sorry, there ain't going to be no clusterfuck.  Despite all the talk of players starting off in different parts of the galactic rim making the possibility of contact infinitesimally small, the odds ain't going to improve by the time you're nearing the centre. The reason?  Hello Games aren't doing a multiplayer title. 

This is a solo-adventure where the only 'contact' you get with other players are seeing the footprints that they might leave on the intergalactic map. In fact, it's a touch disingenuous of the devs to speak of remote chances of players encountering other players - they're instead intent on building parallel universes for would-be space pilots. Cosmonauts might share star charts and flag alien discoveries, but there's no actual mingling to be done in the vastness of space.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah...stay the fuck outta my galaxy you fucks! It's mine! Mine I say!!!
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Why are they even talking about it as if it's a possibility then? Twats.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    An unfair comparison probably but I keep thinking of Spore and how that ended up being naff. It's pretty tricky to have immense amounts of variety without putting in the effort code and design wise. Often it's easy to see products that have been created by a generator.
  • There are hints of a dark souls/journey style multiplayer.
  • An older quote I read made it sound like the only thing that would cross over from another player would be the "discovered by" data but at E3 he seemed pretty clear that you are I'm the same galaxy but really far apart.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Sorry, there ain't going to be no clusterfuck.  Despite all the talk of players starting off in different parts of the galactic rim making the possibility of contact infinitesimally small, the odds ain't going to improve by the time you're nearing the centre. The reason?  Hello Games aren't doing a multiplayer title.  This is a solo-adventure where the only 'contact' you get with other players are seeing the footprints that they might leave on the intergalactic map. In fact, it's a touch disingenuous of the devs to speak of remote chances of players encountering other players - they're instead intent on building parallel universes for would-be space pilots. Cosmonauts might share star charts and flag alien discoveries, but there's no actual mingling to be done in the vastness of space.
    ah ok. so if its just a shared map then yeah they should come out and say it. the way they are describing it sounds like there is a chance of meeting people. As in if two players do head toward each other they would eventually meet. If its the case of a shared map with no interaction then its very misleading the way the devs are talking.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • "You can meet and get an idea of other players, but the universe is very vast, basically, so the chances of you actually coming across someone are pretty slim," says Murray.

Journey gets mentioned a lot when talking about other players. Maybe it'll throw the odd player in but it's not persistent.
  • Reflecting on Braben's talk about things being added to Elite: Dangerous over time, even major gameplay features, it's not that absurd to see 'multiplayer' integrated further down the line, when the concept of players getting remotely close to each other becomes possible. I know nothing about network code but i'd assume small scale encounters couldn't be that hard to integrate in a game that is already stated to have online functionality, nothing being persistent - by the time people got to the center, and i'd imagine they've got the figures of how many hours play that would take even with luck on a player's side, they probably had plenty of time to work in MP. In fact I wonder if the sequel, with extensive MP, would be out by then.

Why would they have to specify wether you can actually rendezvous with another player at this point, the game isn't even finished, the subject isn't relevant, if it turns up as a possibility and revolt is brewing, it could just go in
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Why would they have to specify wether you can actually rendezvous with another player at this point, the game isn't even finished, the subject isn't relevant, if it turns up as a possibility and revolt is brewing, it could just go in

They made it relevant by talking about it in a way which suggests it's possible from the off, instead of being up front and saying either it's not going to happen or they have plans to add it in an update, depending on which is true.

State of Decay already pulled that trick, and it was a disappointment despite the single player game being very good anyway.

I don't see the benefit to them of talking up stuff that might not be in the game, now you really are getting into Molyneux territory. If you attract people off the back of non-existant features it will only lead to frustration and mistrust.

I'd be fine with the game being single player only by the way, it still sounds amazing, multiplayer can wait for a sequel for all I care.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!