No Man's Sky
  • It better.
  • "Anomaly" is the least bizarre - it's basically a bloke in a spacesuit.  It's good if you want to look like you're in Daft Punk, or fancy playing yet another game as a stormtrooper, I suppose.

No cock and balls option sadly, though some of the "traveller" ones are pleasingly weird.  (All the options are broadly humanoid though.)
  • Looking forward to giving this another go, once I'm not working non-stop any more. Are there more detailed character customisation options, or is it just race?
  • AJ wrote:
    Looking forward to giving this another go, once I'm not working non-stop any more. Are there more detailed character customisation options, or is it just race?

You can fiddle around with various aesthetic elements - a variety of different heads, torsos, gloves etc.  Then alter the markings and colourings for each bit.  So essentially lots of preset parts you can chop and change.

As far as I'm aware none of it actually changes the game at all though.  (So if you choose to be a Gek, I think you still have to learn the Gek language.)
  • Sounds reasonable. Do the presets look procedural or pre-defined?
  • https://i.imgur.com/8wXyzdg.png

Still pretty, still pretty boring.
  • Ooh, very nice pic.
  • AJ wrote:
    Sounds reasonable. Do the presets look procedural or pre-defined?

They're predefined, albeit with lots of possible combinations.
  • Oh well. Should be fun to fiddle with, anyway.
  • Said the vicar to the, er.....
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Violinist?
  • How are you vindicated by the opinion of someone playing the game for the first time?

I'll be interested in what you make of the scale in this update, as barring some stuff like increased draw distance it's still the same game underneath. The planets are still planet sized, moons moon sized etc. so there's a pretty good chance a new starter like Elm would have been as impressed by the sense of scale as almost everyone else was at launch.
    There is a distinct possibility that I was being a little facetious there :) But by all accounts the scale has improved and I'm excited to try it out. Hopefully later
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m mildly tempted to jump back in.  Had a quick look around yesterday and all my hard work with base building looked to have been wiped. Kinda feel like I’d need to start again.
    Get schwifty.
  • Didn't everyone's bases get packed up or something? IIRC, you can pull it out again.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That would be something, I suppose.  Virtually all my suit, ship and omnithing upgrades were also obsolete too.  At some point Hello Games are going to have to say, “Right everyone, we’ve finished fucking around with the elements and everything you work on from now on is actually safe.”
    Get schwifty.
  • Another good reason to play in "free" mode.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Based building is much much better.

You can stick a base computer anywhere then build anywhere near it. Doesn’t seem to be a tight limit like the old version.

It’s also a better system now where you refine base materials to better materials for manufacture.

If you are a new starter I’d suggest building a refiner and mining cobalt then refining it in ionised cobalt. You can sell that for around 220k for about 400 units. Can build a million pretty quickly.

I’ve just found a shit hot ship on a planet with 36 slots and now you can just add the ship to your collection and keep your old ship too. You just have one primary ship. I’m not sure what happens when you leave that ship. Guessing you can get it back from your based.

You can also find co ordinates for drop pods, build your own signal booster and it points it out.

I haven’t done this yet but you can also build an auto miner to do the grind for you.

This really is growing into great game and has kept me coming back to the PS4 more than anything else recently.

It probably appeals because I’m so busy with work that just switching off (by doing more work!) is a good way to spend the evening.
  • I might boot up my old save, have a gander and start fresh - might be a bit much to bail on though cos I’ve got a good ship and one of those massive orbiting ships as well.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s doesn't reboot your ship. Not sure about freighters.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    I might boot up my old save, have a gander and start fresh - might be a bit much to bail on though cos I’ve got a good ship and one of those massive orbiting ships as well.

A brand new game might be the better option, seeing as a lot of what you achieved before doesn’t really matter.  I’m sorely tempted to hit the new game button.  When I had a look around last night I felt like I’d been dropped into someone elses save game.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    3.5gb patch just hit. Guessing it’s bug fixing. Had an issue when I built my base on foundation legs rather than flat on the ground that the base chaps were all floating under the base. Hope they fixed that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Raiziel that’s a good call but I’d just restarted recently on the pre Next update so I was only a wee bit into the game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope doesn’t look like the patch addresses that but does let me get rid of the physical nanites I had left in my inventory.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    If I do start again I’ll delete and reload.  Game was acting funky in the 15 minuets I played.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yep there have been unconfirmed reports of current saves with the PS4 pro version wigging out a bit after the Next update. Best starting over.  Off to get me new hyperdrive now.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Gave this another good go today, not really feeling it, I got a lot of it at the time but even with the changes I sense I'm not going to get anything fundamentally different from the original play loop. 
    I started a new save and the refueling of the haz suit, engines etc was starting to wear quite quickly, maybe I should've tried it on the chill setting.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • You should, it's the only way to play.
  • If you choose chill, do you start with all the gear like terrain manipulator etc...?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • It's basically the same game, but everything's free. Don't remember if you start with anything extra, but it's really quick to get if not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!