No Man's Sky
  • AJ wrote:
    I've not played it yet but, from what I've seen, I'm starting to think I preferred the old visuals; they seem to fit the '60s sci-fi book cover aesthetic the game has better. Guess I'll be sure in a of weeks when I finally get round to playing it.
    I dunno, I feel like the new visual flourishes are a lot more spectacular than the original stuff.

A lot more splashes of colour around the place for one.
    AJ wrote:
    Everything seems just a bit too noisy, though.

Now I think about it, it's just a different style of cover. There were totally ones with this level of detail.
  • I do kind of agree with Andy there.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tbh the game does offer some great vistas but so does Elite Dangerous. The more I play NMS it feels like the game is trying to fit into an ED shaped hole.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    In my head, the NMS experience is like combining Elite Dangerous + Subnautica and feeling less than the sum of its parts. Both games I loved.
  • For me it's like combining Pokémon Snap and Second Life. Probably a little better than the sum of its parts.
  • Had a little look at my old save and a quick Google. Here's the skinny on what I've gathered:

Old equipment that's compatible with the new game is wherever it was before the wipe. Old equipment that isn't has been turned into scrap which can be harvested to build new stuff. Most of my important shit was still on me.

All ships and freighters seem to be where they were left.

Bases have been archived, to reinstate them, you have to find a base terminal in the wild; placing one yourself won't work.

Assuming the scrap is equivalent in quantity/rarity to the equipment they replaced, it all seems pretty fair to me.

The sound is now fucked.

The controls are now floaty as fuck. Combined with the slow walking speed, navigating space stations is horribly painful.

The default motion blur is a bit OTT.
  • AJ wrote:
    Assuming the scrap is equivalent in quantity/rarity to the equipment they replaced, it all seems pretty fair to me.

That’s not really the point, though. There’s no easy way to replace what you had. The game just turned all my kit into obsolete shite. There’s no easy way to get the blueprints or upgrades to immediately replace everything you had, or what’s equivalent.

I don’t see why they had to make stuff obsolete, in the first place.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole blueprints thing.

Top be honest, making new equipment is basically what that game mode is all about; I'd question whether you wouldn't be better off playing the other mode now anyway if the thought of doing more is objectionable.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Must be a fairly decent update, the mountain of second hand copies Game had are all sold out.
  • Yeah, pretty decent. The common consensus seems to be that it's pretty much reached the point that we originally promised now.
  • Obligatory, “I was more than happy with what I got at the start,” post here.  I mean, 80 hours. That was before they updated a single thing.
  • That can be really infuriating. Over the years there's definitely been several games I've been head over heels in love with that have gone on to be patched beyond all recognition. I find I tend to just admit defeat and move on to something else whilst treasuring the memories.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I don't really get the palavar when it comes to Gravitino balls when the alien eggs are easier to get and much much more valuable.
  • Alien eggs??? Not seen them
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Occasionally I've come across abandoned bases which are riffing quite hard on the Alien reference scale and they're surrounded by eggs. Enough to call them uncommon rather than rare. Dunno if they're a NEXT feature.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There’s much better ways to make money. Generally mining and refining or making stuff. Like freighter fuel. Heat converters pre patch used to be worth 250k each. Not sure if they have become obsolete.
  • Can you crossbreed and farm the aliens yet?
  • Alien eggs??? Not seen them

Hello. I'm still alive.

The Alien eggs are your route to getting rich quick if you are starting from scratch. You find them in nests of 5 or 6 egg surrounding Abandoned Buildings. These look like normal outpost buildings but the front door is smashed in and there is a computer terminal covered in goo inside.

There are usually 4 or 5 clusters of eggs surrounding the building. Each egg can be harvested and they release a glowing core. Each of these is worth 100k each. If you can gather all of the cores then you can easily make 3 - 4 million credits in about 10 minutes. 

-Finding Abandoned Buildings : The seem to appear fairly randomly across the surface of inhabited worlds. They may show up using the signal scanner that you can build but I have found most by flying fairly low and slow over the surface and pressing 'c' to scan the vicinity. They appear as 'Unknown Buildings' and a flypast will tell you what you need to know once you are familiar with the structure.

- Harvesting Whispering Eggs : NOT SO FAST BUDDY! You can't just go harvesting these eggs willy-nilly. The eggs are guarded by a swarm of hideous and deadly creatures. As soon as you pop an egg open these creatures will quickly burrow up from under your feet and kill you. 

- HOW TO SAFELY HARVEST WHISPERING EGGS : This technique requires that you can build bases and have learned a few blueprints for basic buildings. You'll need to be able to build some wooden walls. YOU'LL ALSO WANT PLENTY OF EXTRA SPACE IN YOUR INVENTORY. Very important.

Step 1 - Create and Activate a Base Computer (you'll be deleting it later)

Step 2 - Locate the egg clusters around the building. You are looking to locate a cluster on on each side of the building.

Step 3 - Build a box : Build a 1 unit square box with wooden walls around a clump of eggs. A standard clump fits within a 1 unit box. DO NOT BUILD A ROOF!

Step 4 - Piss off the Swarm : Jetpack up onto the roof and locate the nest of eggs on the other side of the building. You now have two options.... SAFETY FIRST - Stand on the roof and harvest an egg pod. A small glowing orb will roll out. Also a bunch of nasty beasties will appear from below the nest. BRAVE AND STUPID - Jump down to the nest and harvest an egg - grab the glowing core then jump back to the roof. 

Step 5 - BREAK SOME EGGS : Now jump back into the wooden box. You are now free to harvest the Whispering Eggs within your box. The nasty beasties can't get in. HANDY HINT! Point your laser at only the top of the egg while harvesting. If you aim at the base there is a chance that you can destroy the glowing core if you leave your laser on for a fraction of a second too long. Expensive mistake. 

After a few minutes you will get a message 'The Swarm is Subsiding' and the nasty beasts will go back underground ( give yourself an extra 15 seconds for them to go completely) - You can now dismantle the walls and move onto the next cluster of eggs.  RINSE AND REPEAT ! ........................UNTIL! UNTIL!

Until you only have TWO clusters left. This is important. WHILE HARVESTING YOUR SECOND LAST NEST OF EGGS YOU MUST LEAVE ONE EGG UNMOLESTED! You will need this egg to be the trigger for the swarm for your final cluster on the other side of the building.

JOB DONE - You can now take your pile of glowing balls to the nearest trade terminal and make serious profit . I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE NOT LEAVING THE PLANET WITH POCKET FULLS OF VALUABLE BOOTY! Space Pirates can smell that shit from miles away. Sell it on the planet you are on if possible.

p.s. You can delete your temporary base. The eggs don't respawn as far as I know. Fucking sadface.

OPTIONAL EXTRA - I've  found that after a bit of practice I can box in TWO clusters of eggs and do them both during one single swarm duration. Saves even more time.

There you go. A quick and easy way to make money. Once you get a bit of cash in your account you can probably start doing some of the other get rich quick schemes like buying exotic base materials from visiting space traders on the Space Stations in and making profitable hi-tech items for big bucks, but the Whispering Eggs are quite a good way to kickstart things.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hiya Harvey.
  • p.s Another tip after you have a few million credits in your pocket. 

You know those broken space ships that you find at distress beacons? The look good and they don't cost any money to buy but they are crammed with broken shit that you can't get rid of? You do know that you only have to fix the impulse drive and launch system to get them flying? That's piss easy.

You also might want to know that if you can get them (and all the broken shit) to a space station you can trade them with the visiting Space Traders for not a lot of money. If you hang around in the hangar a while wait for a ship to arrive with a similar cargo capacity and spec, speak to the Trader / Pilot then you can part exchange your full of shit ship for a nice empty clean ship for as little as a million credits! Caveat emptor, you fuckin' space idiots. Enjoy your shit-crammed ship.
  • Nice to see you Voodoo!
  • Lo G!

I no longer game as much but was taken by a strange urge to fly around in some 1970s Chris Foss / Roger Dean / Rodney Matthews artbooks for a while. Tis quite nice.
  • Cool.
  • ...so...is that what counts as gameplay now?
  • That and taking pretty pictures. Join us!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    ...so...is that what counts as gameplay now?

*Cuts to g feeding a pig in Sea of Thieves*

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!