No Man's Sky
  • g.man wrote:
    Genuine question.

I built a base in a crater last time I was on.
  • This VR update has probably wiped it.

I could never understand why they made 'base building' a thing on NMS, considering it's a game where your supposed to keep on travelling to the centre of the universe.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • They probably saw people like me who never left the planet.
  • It was probably also a way to appease fans after the backlash. They were clear it was never supposed to be a multiplayer / base builder type of game - it was lonely exploration.

But after launch and all the shit they got, I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to compromise on that to try to rebuild good will.
  • I loaded it up lately and found it to look pretty awesome. I almost immediately got a freighter. Which was nice. But the space combat is a just a mystery to me. Even attacked by 3 lowly pirates I get trashed every time. Any tips?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • g.man wrote:
    Genuine question.

Sorry, I’ve been meaning to get back to this.

Right from the get-go, it was an incredible exploration game. And, as you explored, you could harvest materials, which would allow you to improve your kit, be it the multi-tool, your suit, or your ship. And as you did so, you could travel further, survive longer in harsher environments, harvest materials faster, and improve your kit further. A basic numbers-go-up game. It works for the likes of, say, Stardew Valley. But, where the draw there is greater yields of crops, charming interactions with locals, and watching your farm become more elaborate, with No Man’s Sky it was about visiting incredible planets, and seeing the weird and wonderful wildlife.

At the time, I grew tired of the ‘nothing to do’ bullshit. If exploring a sci-fi landscape to seek out every bit of flora and fauna isn’t someone’s bag, that’s fine, but it was unfair to say, there was nothing to do. I wouldn’t buy a cricket game and say, “But if I don’t want to bowl, bat, or field, what is there to do?”

Equally, I understand that some people were aggrieved by Seany-Sean’s over-excited, over-stepping the mark interviews. Personally, I often thought it was obvious that he was trying to appease games journalists for whom exploring a seemingly impossibly large universe wasn’t enough, but I appreciate why people were angry. But, again, just because some things weren’t there, I still think it was unfair to say there was nothing there.

I’m pretty sure I played for over 100 hours, before any patches, exploring star systems, visiting every moon of a planet, reading the weird snippets of the history of different races.

As for what’s been added? Base building, farming, ship classes, freighters, planetary-rovers (and racing them), crashed freighters, NPC-driven missions, a story to follow, a creative mode, a survival mode, a permanent-death mode, more complex trading, more detailed faction/race standings, more detailed underwater environments, with specific exploration and missions... this forthcoming VR update is something like the seventh major update to the title since it came out. The list of update and patch notes on the website is something to behold.
  • Cheers Andy. 
    Still doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but it's certainly impressive how they've supported it after such a rocky launch.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They've got the money so why not repay some naive mistakes? In fairness it was massively overhyped beyond their control and they never needed to sell out to shareholders so why not? Such a small team, so much money.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Money isn't the root of all evil, shareholders are. So says a drunken me.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I might have to buy this again if only to experience taking off from a planet in VR.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I enjoyed the experience. I always had something to “do” and didn’t feel ripped off as the missing things like MP didn’t really concern me. I was amazed they managed what they did. Went back several months later to try the base building and it was fine. Will probably go back to try VR but only if they drop the PC price.
  • I loaded it up lately and found it to look pretty awesome. I almost immediately got a freighter. Which was nice. But the space combat is a just a mystery to me. Even attacked by 3 lowly pirates I get trashed every time. Any tips?

I've been running away! You seem to be able to outrun pirates, even without boosting. Combat difficulty has been ramped up since the last update, presumably to give a reason to souping up your ship's guns and armour. I'm taking the Elite Dangerous route - build a combat ready ship before even considering getting into dogfights.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I am glad to hear that they have fixed the ship to ship combat. Dogfights were always ridiculously easy, to the point of them being pretty pointless of bothering to engage with.

Played about 40 hours upon original release. Left feeling it was a hollow, vacuous experience. Returned after the updates and invested easily triple that time again, hunting down Exotic ships, smashing through space rocks in my space buggy, and enjoying the new story content.

No intention of becoming a space cadet again though. I'm done.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I'm either going to get back into the game for the VR or if the biomes are improved - otherwise after about 120 hours I can't help thinking I've seen most things.
  • Iv put in a lot of hours and forgot more than I learned and have so much to see yet.
    I still ain't travelled thru a black hole yet and have found 3!

I'm not touching it again till vr where I will restart once again and possibly be lost for a long long time.
  • I was looking at PSVR kits last night and they haven't really come down in price have they? Still essentially the cost of a console. Which is a bit surprising considering the lifespan of the PS4 is nearly at an end.

Toyed with the idea of getting one for Skyrim and NMS, but these are games that I've broken the back of a long time ago, so no amount of visual trickery is going to suck me back in.
    I've been running away! You seem to be able to outrun pirates, even without boosting. Combat difficulty has been ramped up since the last update, presumably to give a reason to souping up your ship's guns and armour. I'm taking the Elite Dangerous route - build a combat ready ship before even considering getting into dogfights.
    Ah ok that must be a recent change then. I remember not being able to outrun them previously.
  • I was outrunning them in an A class fighter. Now got an A class explorer and the handling definitely feels different.
  • Hmmmm Im still in a ship from the OG game. I may need to look into what class it is
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

You can ride the things now, Escape will be pleased.
  • Looking good.

And my word, that soundtrack still amazes.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Can this come to the Oculus Quest please? Thanks.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Looks brilliant. Cannot wait for PSVR
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    WOW! That looks like an impressive upgrade... Oh god, I’m going to end up starting a new game, aren’t I?
    Get schwifty.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    me too

SHIT
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Sigh.......I may too......BUT IN MUTHAFUCKIN VR!!!!

Cant wait to see some more shots Raz!
  • I hate to be that guy but Sean said in a recent tweet that at least 20% of the new content would be nothing to do with VR or multiplayer. But all I'm seeing is the ability to ride giant space crabs. Which was hardly on top of the most wanted list.

Many players have called for a lot more interactivity with the NPC's, who stand motionlessly at their space station terminals all day long. But it's clear that with this renewed effort to improve multiplayer, players (and the interactivity between them) are set to remain the main actors in the game and the drivers for change in the Universe they've created.

We Were Promised Jetpacks! (and they were definitely fixed in an update) But Beyond is obviously seeking to extend NMS life span artificially through VR and by doubling down on multiplayer. I applaud them for their persistence in trying to turn NMS into the game that other people wanted it to be. But I think I need to find another title to wander alone amongst the stars.
  • There's also farming / cooking stuff added, though it may have been omitted from the trailers as it isn't particularly visually interesting / attention grabbing, in trailer form. They've also added delivery quests tied to those things. 

I can't remember what else there is, but there's certainly new mechanical / single-player additions. They've just done a not great job of letting people know that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!