No Man's Sky
  • It's not exclusive is it? If I was Sony I'd get it in the bag. A fucking Indy from a 10 man team knocked shit out of AAA announcements.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Timed exclusive? but it looks like a seller to me.
  • Yeh, timed, by the looks of it. 
    Depends on the amount of time for me. 6+ months and good reviews, then I will get a PS4 for this alone. 
    3 months... I'd have to think about it.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I don't have a reason to get either next gen yet so the first good exclusive is going to swing me.
  • The dying years of PS3 have already talked me into PS4. No real reason to say it's going to be the same this time round but it's as good a guess as I can make 5 years out.

I already have WiiU but we all know that doesn't count.
  • Captain Blood?
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I cant help but feel a little cautious about this. The premise is to get to the centre of the galaxy...It could be a let down of Molyneaux proportions. Hopefully I can switch off thinking about the goal though and enjoy the journey.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Molyneux is striking such new lows with Godus that it's getting harder and harder to hit that level.
  • What's at the end of any game? It'll be "Congratulations! You still have millions of planets to explore but you've completely maxed out all your shit so the reward will be greatly diminished."

It gets harder as you get closer to the middle so you'll probably have to get two factions of star destroyers to face off while you fuck up their generators.
  • Ah I suppose. I do get caught up on story a bit. Bottom line Im damn excited about this game.
  • I'm setting myself up for massive fall over this. 
    The devs really need to come out and temper peoples expectations a little because my imagination and others is running wild.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • They have said one thing though. Once you die, that's not it. But you do lose everything. Back to square 1 in terms of resources.  Life pod gets re-inserted back into your starter-ship.

Makes me think that this game could be quite punitive really.  Deliberately so, to ensure getting to the centre of the universe ain't no doddle.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • The problem with this is there'll be nothing to actually do.  I worry it'll be shiny 3D Proteus.
  • I'm expecting a shiny Proteus. It's a 10 man team making a ruleset that to create a galaxy. Not a map 10x bigger than Just Cause 2, not a whole planet, thousands or millions of planets. All of the content is based procedurally created and procedurally laid out. Apart from things getting harder towards the middle, there's no level design going on here.

Fly to 9 planets and see nothing. Fly to the 10th and see some points of interest on the map. Maybe it'll be some valuable ore, maybe a wooly sabertooth rhino on a raping binge.
  • Hmm. I doubt each planet will be devoid of interest. But dont forget only a small number of planets are habitable. Not every single rock in the universe will be life sustaining. Then again they did say that ALL planets are visitable? Could be something like Mass Effect, scans of planets would flag up possible duds?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The duds will make the wildlife all the more interesting when you do find it though.
  • It'll be a game that the share function was made for at least.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Make the game compatible with Spore. A universe of Phallians.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    It'll be a game that the share function was made for at least.

There will be a massive temptation to follow someone on twitch once it's released. I may have to go dark on it until the Xbone release, don't want to spoil it for myself.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    There will be a massive temptation to follow someone on twitch once it's released. I may have to go dark on it until the Xbone release, don't want to spoil it for myself.

Can you spoil a universe that's randomly generated?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I reckon this'll be precisely the kind of game I hate. Like Journey or some nonsense. Looks nice enough buy devoid of any true interest.
  • Journey is more story than game.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:

Can you spoil a universe that's randomly generated?

Course you can, exploring and discovering shit for yourself is what this is all about. That first planet teeming with life will be amazing to find, watching someone else find it less so.

There's also stuff that they're keeping quiet about. I hope there's plenty to find that is a surprise to me once I actually play the game.
  • Course you can, exploring and discovering shit for yourself is what this is all about. That first planet teeming with life will be amazing to find, watching someone else find it less so. There's also stuff that they're keeping quiet about. I hope there's plenty to find that is a surprise to me once I actually play the game.

I'm still not convinced.  You'll fly to a planet, land, and go "oh wow this one's a bit more green than the last one."  Then after 6 planets of slightly different colours you'll find some sort of horse creatures and go "wow, I found some horses."  I'm not sure they'll manage to make it very interesting.

The fact that every time you get into space on the trailers there's a massive space battle going on means it'll have some shit, tacked-on story with missions etc too.

I just don't think the hook is going to work.  With Elite and its ilk you had total freedom but there was a structure; you could play a pirate, an outlaw, a bounty hunter, a trader, or work for some factions as a mercenary.  Lots of options, all free-form, and all relying on a bit of imagination.  That's what we need on a next gen machine.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good thing Elite: Dangereux and Star Citizen are coming out then.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What makes you think we're going to get tacked on missions instead of the emergent stuff? The interviews with the devs didn't suggest that at all. They've already mentioned pirates and bounty hunting etc. and said it's up to you what you do within the game, there are a few links on previous pages if you fancy looking this stuff up.

I reckon the trailers are a condensed version of what you'll be playing, I doubt that every time you leave the atmosphere of a planet there's a huge battle lighting up the cosmos.
  • Emergent is boring unless they script it.

Also, having a universe of infinitely randomly generated animals makes finding new animals rather boring and a little arbitrary.
  • I will basically be strafing worlds and denuding them of all wildlife to sell on to the Traditional Chinese Medicine market. Any kind of sandbox freeform game I tend to kill everything and sell the chunks.
  • It'll be the first game ever with an emergent war playing out that you can dip into as much or as little as you like, if that's the case.  Without it there'll be no game, it'll just be a pretty Proteus as I said.  Go look at our tech demo worlds with their unscripted animals and procedural caves!

There needs to be something you can do, but ironically having any story or anything to actually do will necessarily reduce the scale of the game.  And if they keep it freeform with lots of exploration, what are they going to do to make the exploration interesting?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!