No Man's Sky
  • I love marmite but that extra mature stuff wasn't good.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    krs wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Good thing Elite: Dangereux and Star Citizen are coming out then.
    It's weird how there are three of these kinds of games coming out at around the same time. Don't you think it's weird? I think it's weird.
    I do think it's weird, Kim, since you asked.  Very, very weird.  Unusual.
    Mayber it's just a coincidence.
    Mm, mayber.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Has Peter Molyneux forever tainted ambition that goes beyond "familiar genre with new mechanic"?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    I love marmite but that extra mature stuff wasn't good.

That's all I buy now. 

Nice one Marmite. Splitting your fandom into yet another game of halves.
  • krs wrote:
    "This is a game made for people who make YouTube videos of games, the Let's Play generation," says Murray.
    Ugh. Blech. Thbbbtt.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing, Official Forum Woman, it just means lots of people can see what someone else is doing

Well lets hope its not like Frontier then n0face! He did say gameplay wins over science though, when Frontier's extra mature came from the opposite attitude
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    krs wrote:
    "This is a game made for people who make YouTube videos of games, the Let's Play generation," says Murray.
    Ugh. Blech. Thbbbtt.
    Charles Thibbit?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Has Peter Molyneux forever tainted ambition that goes beyond "familiar genre with new mechanic"?

Not if you deliver on your promises.

I'm deffo on the train of hype for this, even if it ends up being a [5] I'll still dive in just to see how it all comes together. Most interesting concept in years, probably since Mincraft.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Has Peter Molyneux forever tainted ambition that goes beyond "familiar genre with new mechanic"?

Well... yes. He's made a bunch of games that are iconic mould breakers/genre makers and that legacy is why he can talk such bollocks now and still be endured. I think Bad Pete started when Project Ego/Fable turned out to be bloody rubbish, i think possibly not entirely his own fault, a heady stench of Microsoft lying about their technology and executives thinking they have opinions that arent crimes against nature holding the purse-strings hug low like a deathly miasma on that game, and silly Pete is still falling for it
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    krs wrote:
    Ugh. Blech. Thbbbtt.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing, Official Forum Woman, it just means lots of people can see what someone else is doing

Well lets hope its not like Frontier then n0face! He did say gameplay wins over science though, when Frontier's extra mature came from the opposite attitude
    It'll just my luck to be stuck on the shit side of the galaxy where everything is brown and only slugs for company a billion light years from all the fun stuff but at least I can check it out on youtube.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Or pay a small £4.99 fee for a wormhole to the fun sector.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Times are hard for Crichton.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Not if you deliver on your promises. I'm deffo on the train of hype for this, even if it ends up being a [5] I'll still dive in just to see how it all comes together. Most interesting concept in years, probably since Mincraft.

Funny thing is, if Elite: Dangerous (Let's call it Elite 4) has a similar template to Frontier but with more action, multiplayer and the same ability to land on planets (coming as a future update, so: eventually) it has the possibility to either smash this or give just as strong and liberating an experience, just with a totally different mood. Hello Games have the aesthetics absolutely perfect to me, its a beautiful game, the promo song was perfectly chosen, David Braben is still to my mind one of the most genius touched programmers i've ever seen in the history of videogames, he made this genre, he went on to make games that are masterpieces of programming wizardry (The last commercial game to be programmed in ASM apparently was by him, and it was Rollercoaster Tycoon 3??? why the feck would you program a game like that in ASM?).

So anyone with their eyes on this should without even a shadow of a doubt should be following Elite: Dangerous closely. I hope Brabens watching this game and feeling pleased with it. In fact its time for a google search
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm liking the cut of your jib in here Cuckoo, particularly as I've never played Frontier. Looks like the devs have though, and have tried to give some of the issues found there a swerve.
  • Yep that's quite right Sparky and I think Braben himself would be very happy with it. The reason I think that is because i couldn't find his opinion on No Man's Sky but i DID thanks to neogaf find this piece of wonder

I think this sums the whole concept up absolutely perfectly, from possibly the most qualified person on earth to talk on the subject in the context of games

I do love that it seems to be such a 'british thing'. Where is star citizen being made? Will that reflect how it comes across?
  • krs wrote:
    Ugh. Blech. Thbbbtt.
    Well I think this game is damn suited to YooTube vids. considering that on your own play through, you wont see but a tiny fraction of the game.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • krs wrote:
    Ugh. Blech. Thbbbtt.
    Well I think this game is damn suited to YooTube vids. considering that on your own play through, you wont see but a tiny fraction of the game.
    You're all focusing on the wrong bit. The highlighted does indeed cause dry wretching.
  • But if you want people to buy your game en masse then it's a forgivable 4 words (I agree though)
  • What's wrong with the let's play generation? I can gather more from watching a game being played than most reviews. It's not even a bad term. I know exactly who they mean.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Doesn't each player start on their own new planet? Either: they created say 100million planets and each player is given one the number has to be bigger than the potential number of players Ever. Or a planet is generated for each player.
    pantyfire wrote:
    Each payer starts on a planet at the out rim of the galaxy. That he has said. Not sure if it is 'your' planet or if there is any such notion of owning anything other than your ship and your gun. He has said you will randomly be spawned on a planet when you start so meeting a friend or rendezvousing at another planet is extremely unlikely. I guess you spawn on a 'known' planet in a known system then off you go, exploring and discovering unknown systems and planets until you get to the centre, the path you take i guess, is up to you.

He did say the first ever person to play, when they open their map, will see only unknown next the all the systems and planets. The bit panty talks about, about it being unlikely to bump into another player, suggest to me you will start on a planet that no one else started on (but I would assume it isn't possible for it to be guaranteed to be undiscovered as players seem able to do what they like). There must be a huge number of solar systems that are generated to enable this to work.
  • What does a game like this usually shift? If there are 20m PS4s in homes by the time it comes out, it'd do well to shift 2m I'd say. PC seems a more natural home for this kind of game but I have no idea what specs it will need and how many PCs might exist with that spec. Plus it might be too consolified for the usual SciFi explorer PC crowd.

If they split the PC and PS4 versions you might only need a couple of million outer rim worlds. Maybe even have a point of no return so the outer outer rim is exclusively supernoobs.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @goob: Millions I expect.
  • Not a fan. Pretty much everything he's done since Elite says Ian Bell was the actual genius.
  • Imagine this is the Elite thread.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    *hnnnnggg*
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Decent batsman, but genius? Nah.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No Man's Pageturn
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    If they're going for a galaxy comparable to our own Milky Way (I hope they are) then look forward to a mere 300 billion stars, most of which will have a system of planets around them.  Let's say only 10% of those stars have a single habitable planet around them, that's 30 billion.  Then let's say that only 5% of those habitable planets represent those around the edge of the galaxy, that's 1.5 billion possible starting locations.  Phew!  The platinum trophy should be for the first time you make contact with another player.
    Get schwifty.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    @goob: Millions I expect.

Many many millions,

The outer ring, or circumference must be in the millions, in order to provide a planet for every player. If it was 2 million, then what could you realistically expect to see in the whole galaxy? 60/70 million?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Or what raiz said :-(
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Surely we can communicate and select a destination to meet up? Can't be that hard if we all share the same map.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!