Bravely Default
  • I really like those combos. Also not as run of the mill as mine tended to get. I was full on double handed weapons and knights/valkyries etc. Even now my main line up is pretty boring 
    Spoiler:
    So got through Chapter 8 today, did all the sub quests too. It's actually FAR WORSE than I anticipated, but enjoyed getting them all done nonetheless.
    Spoiler:

Now onto the true ending! I bet it's a cake walk compared :)
  • Going to hang on to my black mage a little while longer, doing a staggered transfer to new jobs.

White mage is now a valkyrie
    Spell fencer will become the red mage
    Knight will possibly become swordmaster (I assume this is coming soon)
    Black mage .... time mage perhaps.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I have rebuilt Norende and am now lv51 at chapter 3 which has lovely music in the main towns. Also doing all optional side quests so I have two new interesting job asterisks.

It's a really enjoyable battle system. But I love being able to turn it off when running errands across the seas.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Your pretty well levelled for chapter 3! I also loved the battles in this, enough to keep doing them till the very end (and also in getting all the extra costumes- good pg grinding spots in chapter 5 too!)

I finished this as soon as I did Chapter 8, it's a pretty great ending. Over 90 hours clocked, which is rare.
  • Love in the Crossfire has been stuck in my head for three days.

Also I'm going to start more rapid job changes now. As soon as I get to Lv10 I'll change to the next most complimentary skills to get them all up to speed ASAP.
  • 55 hours in. Just about to start chapter 4 I assume going by the main mission.

Characters up to level 53 or so.
    Unlocked 14 jobs.
    Everyone has three jobs at lv10.
    Every other job at lv5.
    Have a golden egg.
    Almost enough for a growth egg.

And struggle to deal more than 1200 per hit with anyone except archers.

I need more weapons.
  • That sounds about right. I only dealt up to 7000 ish on level 99, and that was with fully leveled monk with natural ability equipped (no gear). Otherwise was dealing 3000-4000 generally.
  • Well, to give you an idea where I am now, Lv61, 60 hours in, Chapter 4.

Specifically:
    Spoiler:
    I'm currently alternating between the following jobs/classes:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I reckon I'm getting enough money to buy the good weapons soon. Is the traveller the best store, or is the town shop per region the best place?

edit: I do hit 9999 on a few specials though
  • Don't think I got anything from shops, mostly Traveller and chests in dungeons. 
    Spoiler:
  • Cool beans. I cant be far off the infamous chapter five I suspect. I am guessing but dont need confirming it might have something to do with all those locked blue chests.
  • Maxed out my first two jobs today. Spell fencer and red mage.
  • Oooooh, so that's what people were complaining about in Chapter 5.

Seems to be a bit harder too.
  • Oh my god. Just found a very effective way to run up job points.

Chapter 5.

Equipment:
    Spoiler:
    Job that's critical and skill:
    Spoiler:
    Support job:
    Spoiler:
    Put it in auto, enjoy.
  • So I understand why chapter 5 was disliked, but I'm chewing through it and now have 60% of my jobs mastered, as well as all characters Lv99. Going to do all the sidequests now.

It reminds me of (bad 90s scifi show)
    Spoiler:
  • Alright, that's chapter 5 nearly done. Total time taken was about 6 hours.

Progress so far this chapter
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Still have to:
    Spoiler:
    I found a very, very good strategy that has made all this fighting a breeze.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Pretty much turns every enemy with 99999 health into a five minute battle.

I must say, if you have a strong team and spend a little time doing effective grinding, ch5 is pretty easy because you dont even need to turn on random encounters. I have mine set to zero.
  • Also I bet I get the next 4 replies in a row.
  • I don't think the grind or the difficulty were people's main gripe with the game.

On the end of the final chapter myself, but I needed a break from the game to get there.
  • Yeah fair call, I think its pretty obvious why people complained about it.

I must just be in the frame of mind to enjoy it. I see what they were going for, and it's probably not as well delivered as it might be in other mediums with examples that explore a similar concept.

But I have a high threshold for tolerating bad (but clumsily earnest) stories. What I tend to dislike is po-faced bad stories (think Halo, Gears, Mass Effect and every other game with a god complex - writers and protagonists both).

As I mentioned earlier - Sliders is a good example
  • No, Sliders is a great example.

I love the game, the choose-your-own-grind even more so.  Just lost the wind from my sails for a bit when chapters 5 & 6 hit.  Messed with the stories/quests pace & flow for me.  Back on with it the last week or so & just final boss tweaking now.  Though I reckon I might be a few levels shy of winning comfortably.
  • With this post you also lose your bet.
  • Chapter 5 I thought was quite fun, glad it didn't go straight into the ending.
    Spoiler:
  • I think I've figured out the main villain per chapter 5. Unless I'm being lied to.

85 hours down. Got all except for one job too.
  • Chapter 5 down. Pretty painless to be fair.

Chapter 6 now. Oh look, I have a (item)
    Spoiler:
  • Called it. It was a bit of a clever reveal.
  • Well fuck.

I just realised I missed the precursor to this game of sorts on DS. The 4 Heroes of Light.

Now its impossible to find. Anyone aware of any UK stores worth checking that ship to Australia? Play asia and ozgameshop are sold out long ago.
  • Found one for a reasonable price.

Completed chapter 6 now, have only one job left to master for all 4, then it's everything levelled to the maxxxxxxx.

Never done that before in any jrpg.

96 hours on the clock.

And yeah, whilst ch5/6 grate for obviously some, I'd recommmend this for anyone who is a fan of scifi stories and scenarios and the impacts they have on people. It's part 90s tv, part stargate, part Greg Bear, part Bill Murray, part 16bit trope subversion.

All the game-balancing sliders (encounter rates, difficulty, auto battles, abilities and growth/golden eggs) really minimise the grind. If it were slow and frequent battles like FFIX, I'd have given up weeks ago.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    This really was a game of two halves for me. The battle mechanics, jobs and customisation were great, but the story, characters and voice acting were the absolute worst I have ever encountered in an RPG, and I've played a few. Oh, and those last four chapters and go fuck themselves.

Glad you're enjoying it, though, Vela.
    Get schwifty.
  • Its a real marmite vegemite game isnt it
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    In spite of my misgivings I'll still be in day one for Bravely Second, but that's probably more to do with the general lack of these types of RPGs being released these days
    Get schwifty.
  • Yep. There arent many like it these days for sure.

I'm up to Ch8 now. Nearly there...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!