Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeees,
    Spoiler:
    Is down! Thank fuckety fuck.

Free Lunch + Amped Strike was my friend, but with a white mage to keep the team healthy (cos they couldn't instakill) & to double MP, and a singer to boost P Atk. Still needed to avoid charm and bezerk and bollocks but got there in the end!!

Except it's not really the end still...
    Spoiler:
    awaits still and I guess the final final final boss. I Lv99 now & got a good few jobs mastered, so hopefully I won't need to grind no more!!!
  • Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    BOOOOM!  It's done people, true ending am get.

Actually pretty straightforward with the same team as above - didn't die against phase three of you-know-who, or against final final baddie.  Ribbon helped in terms of CJB's spoiler I think - basically had my white mage a double HP + status-free, with a special that revives the whole team & gives them 2BP and half their magic back, and I was pretty invincible.  Then my free lunch tanks and jobs a good 'un!

Will write more thoughts tomorrow - but overall a pretty positive experience.  I actually didn't mind the chapter 5-8 lark, though I think sprinting through that contributed heavily to the spike I hit immediately after.  The meta nonsense after that was vaguely entertaining too - and post game I'm confused whether I saw my reflection of the DS screen in the celestial realm, or some AR magic involving the camera!  Suspect the former but kinda hope it was some Tearaway-esque nonsense!!

More thoughts tomorrow - but many thanks to reg in particular for making me play it :-D and to others for the help along the way!!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ok, so I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Into chapter 3, got 1 new job asterisk, doing my second sub scenario and have done a little bit of the main quest there.

I was noticing that once you hit a job level 9 it's gonna take 3500 points for the next level. I don't get enough points from fights to level that up quickly, so am switching around a bit. Stat wise, is it better to pair jobs that have the same rank in weapons? I have Tiz now as a
    Spoiler:
    , I got the second job/ability to 9 and the main job is the only other one I have that has an S in spears. I tried to Google for it, but it keeps giving me "best job combos" with jobs I don't have yet, and I rather not have that spoiled. I know a little bit where the story goes, with the change halfway so am not looking for more things spoiled. (I'm happy that I know about the change, and also that people that pushed through it think it's worth it).
  • Honestly with most jobs I got to a near enough point with each, then changed to new jobs as they became available. Usually means carrying one party member for a short while til they get some new skills with a given job.

Most of the maxing out can wait til the last chapters, but if you want to grind now, double encounter rate and auto battle in some good exp areas. I think some forest area on the right of the map is useful. Near yulyana woods or the flower festival from chapter 2.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm not really maxing out now, trying to get to level 9 or close. Think from level 8 to 9 needs 800jp, then it's 3500 pretty soon after. Some of the level 10+ job abilities aren't useful yet anyway, like using high level magic.
    Was just wondering if the weapon ratings matter much for the 2nd job you can choose. So if it's better to mix two jobs that are both S class in swords for example.

It's a good system, but it has a lot going on and it takes a while to get used to it. I still don't know what I need to do with the items that are used for compounding. Love all the different outfits for the characters.

I think it's best to wait with grinding till about chapter 5? Read something earlier in the thread, will check again once I'm there.

Am a bit further in chapter 3 now, finished my sub scene, got a new job asterisk and progressed the main story a bit. I'm really enjoying this, but it might help that I don't play that many rpg's.
  • I honestly cant remember much about compounding. Might have just relied on one or two handy combos and left it at that. Weapons, I just equip the best stats.

Otherwise its been about 3 or 4 years since I played it. From memory I think you are playing it how I did - I worried about the maxing out later on, and even then it was never essential, just something I enjoyed doing. 

I'm not going to guess where you are story wise, but I enjoyed it very much which Im happy to discuss later on when youve finished. I think consistency wise it works as a nice, self-contained adventure not unlike Chrono Trigger.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah, I know I'm a bit late with this game, I just wanted to finish it before Octopath. Might even pick up the second one at some point.

Guess I'm just gonna use the "optimize gear" option for now, while I'm still leveling the jobs. Not sure if I'm gonna get them all to top level, you have to do every job for every person separate right?

Story wise I just
    Spoiler:
    The thing I like most about the story is how light and fun it all feels, there aren't really any dark forces around so far, just very simple good/bad, white/black and it leaves a lot of room for some jokes. The kids believe in the good in so will take on any battle with a positive attitude. Pacing also feels good.

I should get a copy of Chrono Trigger again. I played it on flash card, got to the end, and it turned out I needed something from the start of the game. Never finished it. I see it around quite a bit here, and luckily DS is region free.
  • The second is worth it if you like the first, but it’s basically the same maps, with the same jobs, just some different characters and a different story.

The story GOES places in the first one though, gets a bit heavier as well and the characters go through some meaningful changes.

If you can find chrono trigger around definately pick it up, I have a DS copy I’ve been meaning to finish one day, and last I saw on ebay they were £40+ here. Like you I’ve never finished it either...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Am quite a way into chapter 4. Was looking at the ign walkthrough (I'm almost out of mp on my healer and wanted to know how much longer before I can sleep) and it has chapter 5 as "undefined". It really must go places ehh?

Still enjoying it, didn't really have any trouble with anything so far, apart from always being low on mp (ethers and turbo ethers are expensive). Stuck with the same team so far for chapter 4, don't know how hard the end will be and didn't feel like risking leveling new jobs.

Current team:
    Spoiler:
    Doesn't give me any real job combo bonuses, need to play with that a bit more after this chapter. Seems to be normal to level to 99 for everyone who plays this, so I guess I have plenty of time to experiment. Am at 52 right now. I'm pretty sure I'm not playing it smart enough, as I think I could avoid some damage if I actually use job skills.
  • There's a super easy grind point in the game, think it opens up in/after chapter 5? But yeah you will easily get to lvl 99 and max out any jobs you like. I think I maxed out a monk or two with the ability to do more damage with no weapons equipped, which obliterated most things.

Oh yes, chapter 5 goes and goes ;)

This is making me want to play it again! I even bough 4 warriors of light on DS to play one day which was their previous game.
  • haha, so did I
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Chapter 5 is a make or break moment
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Looking forward to it!

@Cosmic thanks, I'll keep an eye out for good spots on chapter 5. I have Ringabel with a monk job to level 9 right now, so only need to add another one. Did a little bit of grinding in the command center (? the big place in chapter 4), it was giving me some good money, 1000+ exp per fight and a bed nearby. Gonna try to take on what I assume is the last boss in this chapter tonight.

Must say I was more annoyed than I liked to admit when
    Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Getting closer and closer to chapter 5. I need to get some grinding in though, a new job sub quest has opened and I want it. Recommended level for taking that on is somewhere between 60 / 65, and I'm at 55. Want more money anyway as I have hardly bought and armour things since the second crystal. Spend all my money on weapons and items.

Must say that some of my new weapons have some nice attack effect animations going on. Still loving the art direction.

There's hardly anything that bothers me in this game, I could do with cheaper turbo ethers, and it would be nice that when I've examined a monster, it would be added to the bestiary. I keep forgetting weaknesses.
  • I genuinely can’t remember using ethers in JRPGs. I always keep them stocked and hold onto them as they are always expensive, and then by the time the last boss rolls around I use up my elixirs and stuff instead.

I think I’ve used one or two in lost sphear so far as there was a boss who sucked up MP during most attacks.am up to the last boss and think I’ll just use my elixir reserves though...

Edit: oh doesn’t bravely default rely on tents quite a lot? Maybe you should be using those at save points etc?

Edit edit: no there are no tents, I think I equipped white mage onto a melee character, healed everyone then equipped their previous job again. Or just turned off encounters?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I genuinely can’t remember using ethers in JRPGs.
    This is why I think I'm not using the battle system the way its intended. I might need to default more? Did the earth crystal temple last night, which is a pretty big one and has loads of going a floor up, down again, go up on a different corner etc. I had to heal quite a bit so once I was on the last floor I needed to heal but was out of mp. Both on my red mage and Ninja with white magic. I haven't thought of the swapping jobs between fights and it's no big deal in the end. I'll just buy a turbo ether at the adventurer before going into the last area of a dungeon. It's just that 150mp doesn't seem much when you have over 400.

I've also used a teleport stone to warp to the start of a dungeon and walked back to the inn with encounters set to 0. That gave me a couple extra fights on my way back, and since the route through a dungeon usually is pretty quick once you know the way I didn't mind it.

At least I know where I'll grind for the chapter 4 sub scenario, just outside the room with a bed to heal myself. Seems to be the best spot so far, often 4 enemies, 1000+ exp decent JP and PG. I want them eggs and fancy weapons.

Sub Scenario I'm talking about
    Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ok so that's chapter 5 started. Only did one sub scenario so far, to see what the rewards were
    Spoiler:

Might do all of them, see how it goes. Vela has a good strategy a couple of pages ago for grinding in chapter 5, guess I'll be doing that for a bit soon.

I have no real idea where this is going yet but I'm enjoying it. Feels like some soap opera that takes itself way too seriously and I love that. I like the characters, they're a fun bunch.
  • Had a go on the Bravely Default 2 demo.

The general aesthetic is absolutely lovely. The world and backgrounds that seem painted on, the smooth traditions between exterior and interior, the speech bubbles and tea stained menus. Gorgeous.

Voice acting seems good enough, although some of the delivery seems slightly wonk, nothing massive.

Combat is bravely default, so that’s fine.

RNG on items seems a bit shit - took about 15 to 20 wolves to get 5 wolf pelts for a side quest.

And there’s a jarring chasm between the quality of the models, which are all very Unreal Engine and have shiny armour and hair and stuff, and the battle animations...which are pure jank. Try doing a physical attack with a black mage and see what I mean. Character models very modern, animation...very much not so.

Some UI issues - floating item descriptions which can insure vital information isn’t good, but hopefully they can clear that up.

Overall, it still needs work, but it is good enough for me to keep an eye on it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!