Same room multi-player - a call to arms.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't think so. Horses for courses.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Homebrew version of Warlords on the Atari 2600 called Medieval Mayhem. Available in cartridge form but the ROM is downloadable too. However you need paddles - so the ROM is only of use to you if you have a 2600 and a Harmony cartridge.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh my work competition has widened.  It's now 
     - Unreal Tournament
     - Worms
     - MK8 
     - A TBD RTS game

Better get practicing...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Virtua Striker 3 competition in honour of the world cup is on in my office next week. Have a field of 12 so far.

Picked that game because it is Sega arcade style and therefore ultra-accessible. Really simple pass or shoot controls will remove all barriers to entry at the price of depth - but with the experience levels of the entrants and short 5 min matches in a knockout format that shouldn't be a problem.
  • Remember to explain the low hard shot technique of holding the B button down to shoot then tap B again when the player is about to hit the ball. You can score some lovely goals like that.
    Another nice touch in this game is that every goal gets a score based on its 'beauty' so you could give a bonus prize to the highest scoring goal of the tournament.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't know about that cheers. Good idea re goal rating too - that can be golden boot award.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Remember to explain the low hard shot technique of holding the B button down to shoot then tap B again when the player is about to hit the ball. You can score some lovely goals like that. Another nice touch in this game is that every goal gets a score based on its 'beauty' so you could give a bonus prize to the highest scoring goal of the tournament.

In 2 player does it matter which team you pick? I was going to assign a team to each person - not sure if in 2 player there's a difference between Brazil and Australia? Maybe I should let people pick their own team when playing to stop people complaining?
  • Thats a really good question. The honest answer is I don't know. There are no visible stat scores for each team, they just have their own formation and strategy option. I always play as The Netherlands (no real reason) but now I'm interested to see if Iran are at a similar level.

If I was to stick my neck out I'd say they are all the same!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I tend to agree - given the skill level of us lot I doubt it would make a difference. The main determining factor would be the skill of the goalkeeper I suppose.

I assume that there is a difference in one player campaign mode though.

Just in case I will crank the difficulty level done to the minimum. Will disable offsides as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First 3 matches in our office World Cup Virtua Striker competition completed. I was wary about goals getting scored as it can be hard enough to score in these games - but we got a result in each (albeit 1-0).

Golden boot award for most beautiful goal - current leader on 225pts. Some way to go as I believe you can get up to 700pts in that.

The game is quite fun to play and the big screen means we are getting a few spectators. Have a field of 14 which is a decent turnout.

• What a pleasure it must be to work in your office Davy when you do this! I'd love it.

Do you allow yourself to partake?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yes - I beat our token Scotsman who was allocated Scotland.  A tight 1-0 win for me playing as Portugal. Looking at it I don't think team selection makes a difference in 2 player. 

So I'm through to the last 8. Logistics being what they are re getting people with free time during a working day - even at lunchtime (our lunch is flexible between 12 and 2) this will probably last as long as the real thing. 

I'm also our 2 time Christmas Tetris tournament champ...Go me. But when it comes to our gamers league I am a journeyman.

Our gamers league last year consisted of Monkey Ball, Tank (Atari 2600 version), Virtua Tennis, Tap Runner , Typing of the dead and Tetris. All excellent same room games. Worth noting that 4 of those games are by Sega.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bumpity bump.

The sheer delight of same room multiplayer yesterday. And it didn't even require a brand new spanking work of genius.

The simple pleasures of Wii Party - a somewhat overlooked little game that sneaked out in the latter half of the Wii's life. It's a compendium of party games (of course) but it being Nintendo's own is a cut above the usual dross with a nice blend of skill and luck so that winners can claim credit and losers can make excuses.Myself, the 2 teen daughters and Wifey spent an hour or two with this little gem after the relatives pissed off. Genuine LOLs and cheers.

I ended the day with wee bit of Mushi Futari and Trials when the girls went off to watch Eastenders though....
  • Just came across this website and could think a suitable place to post until Ian's game index thread came into its own:

http://www.co-optimus.com/games.php?type=couch

Basically a website that lists a games multiplayer credentials. It would be better if it went back a bit further (Currently PS2/ OG Xbox are the earliest) but still a decent reference tool for future gaming nights.
  • Will the Switch create a mini revival in local multiplayer?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I take heart from the fact that such an info source actually exists. 

It makes sense to start from PS2/Oldbox on as that was when local modes started to disappear from games.
  • It's kind of interesting how short the period was. In the nes era simultaneous play was really a novelty (see super Mario bros and double dragon going for alternate plays). So really the heyday was just one generation. My guess would be the peak was pes6 on ps2 but even then it seems like it was quite rare.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some of the early NES games had a 2 player mode that was the optimal way to play. Balloon Fight and Ice Climber are two examples.....but yeah the era was quite short lived and was at its peak in the early arcade and 2600 era.

Quite a few shmups still have 2 player simultaneous modes but the hardcore tend to look down on those. i think it's an under-rated way to play those games - especially something like Raiden III that compares scores and %enemies shot down at the end of each level.

Sports games kept things going for a while too of course.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a chance of snagging a projector and screen from work that isn't required any more and would end up in recycling. If everything works out I can see me trying to get some game nights going at home.
  • Thread revival!

Well to tonight I had 8 of my old mates round playing a whole host of multi-player games, it was brilliant.

Started off with Speed Runners ( bone) which no one other than me had played before and ended up being the smash of the night, think sectional micro machines and you've got it.

Rocket League bone
    The premise of the game sounds shit but it is ludicrously good fun to play

Virtua Tennis 2 DC
    Possibly my favourite of the night. Even watching this is great fun and animal.sfion wisr still looks great

Mario Chase Wii u
    One of the simplest game mechanisms yet it plays out so incredibly well.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    animal.sfion is my favourite typo
  • Great selection (haven't played Speedrunners yet myself, but it's coming).  How did you Rocket League, is it split screen?

Towerfall Ascension might be worth a look if you host another one of these, superb game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Eric has a bonus multiple for using a projector.

Top Stuff.

And agree re Virtua Tennis 2 (and 1). Absolutely superb game. Did you get to try 2 vs 2?

Is Mario Chase an update of Pacman Vs on Gamecube? Genius little gameplay model that.
  • One player runs away/hides using the Wii U gamepad screen, while the other players attempt to catch him by collaborating on the TV screen (split screen).  "He's in the blue zone!" etc.  For something so magical (wording stands if you've played it) it's a crying shame there's so little content, it really could have done with a few extra maps as DLC.  Still, light as it is it's possibly the best thing on the Wii U and definitely the best example of the console's USP.  As far as same room mp goes with a mixture of players who have and haven't played it it's a [10].
  • Typo stays then, I thought I drafted this out, didn't realise I had posted it. I'm feeling a bit rough today.

Rocket League is split screen and as davy said, on a projector it works pretty well as there's no viewing issues.

Virtua Tennis 2 was 2vs2 winner stays on and was glorious.

Also played Micro Machines turbo tournament 2 over the usual 96 variant as the track selection is different, no bathtub or toilet seat dragster racing.

I've just got a new amp that lets me play two sources separately or at the same time so while 4 players were playing Rocket league on the projector another two were playing SFV on the TV via the PS4.

• Moot is bang on. Why there was no added dlc maps on Mario chase was criminal. Could do with a small indie ripping off the formula for the switch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Rocket League is quite possibly my game of this generation. I don’t think that anything else has provided quite so many hours of evergreen fun. It feels like the good old days of sports games before they became ludicrously complicated.

There are often games with badgers going too.
  • Eric wrote:
    Moot is bang on. Why there was no added dlc maps on Mario chase was criminal. Could do with a small indie ripping off the formula for the switch.

It wouldn't work unfortunately, unlike the Wii U the Switch either displays on the TV or on the device itself, but never both.
  • Having said that, would be great as a system link thing for anyone lucky enough to have two consoles.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mario chase sounds like a reskinned Pacman Vs.

Players take turns to be Pacman. The player controlling pacman uses the GBA with link cable and sees the whole maze. Other players are ghosts on the TV and it's split screen with them; each having a restricted view of where they are. The maze segments are colour coded to aid teamwork. The ghost who catches Pacman gets to control him next. WHile Pacman you score points and there's a target amount of points to go for to win.

It's genius as the ghost players co-op but at the same time want to be the one to catch Pacman.

It was a light game too - but there were several mazes and you could set the winning amount of points too. It was free on a 2nd disc with R:Racing and Pacman World 2 as far as I know. It's the only reason I bought R:Racing.

Without Wavebirds the game cables would form a cats cradle though...  :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!