Pile O' Shame
  • monkey wrote:
    Anyone with Mark of the Ninja on their list, it's probably 6-7 hours in length and is really good.
    Yes.
  • I got maybe 10 mins into HL2.

I'm thinking Bodycount will be the first I attack. Quite short and I won't care about doing everything.
  • I forgot to add that I can't be arsed to finish Mass Effect 3, which I borrowed over a year ago, and I've also got Call of Juarez: Gunslinger to play.
  • Mass Effect 3 has the one of the finest endings of any game. It even comes close to State of Decay.
  • I assume that's sarcasm despite not playing State of Decay. I don't think my list is too bad, I've got...

Assassins Creed Brotherhood
    Revengeance
    Uncharted 3
    Bastion
    Braid
    Mark of the Ninja
    Monster Hunter 3
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Mario Galaxy
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Xenosometing
    Skyward Sword
    Lone Survivor (sorry!)

Oh, shit, erm, also, Demons Souls.....
  • Braid, Bastion and Mark of the Ninja are 3 of the finest XBLA games there are, and all fully finishable in not too much time. I'd play them before any of the others.

(When I see the name Mark of the Ninja now I can't help reading it as if it's about a Ninja called Mark. The sequel will be called Jeff of the Samurai.)
  • I'd never enjoyed a game like Bastion, and doubt I ever will again, but Bastion was so fantastic I finished it in two sittings.  Take away the story/character interaction and TLoU isn't a great game.  Take away the charm/voiceover and the same could be said of Bastion (and a great number of other games worth playing, that perhaps aren't outstanding in terms of mechanics - Limbo springs to mind, the actual puzzles in Stacking are mostly unremarkable and so on).
  • Skip cutscenes, don't bother with codec conversations, and Revengeance ends up being really short. But why would someone play a Metal Gear game wtoit cutscenes and crazy codec chats, eh?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd never enjoyed a game like Bastion, and doubt I ever will again, but Bastion was so fantastic I finished it in two sittings.  Take away the story/character interaction and TLoU isn't a great game.  Take away the charm/voiceover and the same could be said of Bastion (and a great number of other games worth playing, that perhaps aren't outstanding in terms of mechanics - Limbo springs to mind, the actual puzzles in Stacking are mostly unremarkable and so on).

This is the exact sort of statement that blows my mind regarding this game and many others for that matter.

So are you saying its not a good game? Not fun?

I don't get it when people gloss of average gameplay with graphics, story or anything else. Games are about gameplay, that should be by far the number 1 aspect of judging a game.

I'm not saying good stories etc are not welcome in games but they should only make a great game better not an average game great.

Video games are not movies, I think its sad that the lines are being blured.

The experience of Space Invaders or Multiplayer Street Fighter cannot be recreated in a book or in the cinema.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Not so much a pile o shame as a wall o shame.  A good 80% of this lot I haven't quite got around to playing...yet.

7B48FD80-C3EC-43E7-86E8-D46205016C16.jpg
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Not so much a pile o shame as a wall o shame.  A good 80% of this lot I haven't quite got around to playing...yet. 7B48FD80-C3EC-43E7-86E8-D46205016C16.jpg

That is some nice sturdy shelving you have there!
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • I don't get it when people gloss of average gameplay with graphics, story or anything else. Games are about gameplay, that should be by far the number 1 aspect of judging a game.

No. A game doesn't have to be just/mostly about gameplay and gameplay doesn't necessarily have to be the number 1 aspect. Games shouldn't be so limited in their scope. If so, then we need a separate term for 'games' like Journey, Dear Esther, Stanley Parable, Gone Home etc. which are all great experiences.
  • @Raiziel: for shame! Love the room though.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I don't get it when people gloss of average gameplay with graphics, story or anything else. Games are about gameplay, that should be by far the number 1 aspect of judging a game.

No. A game doesn't have to be just/mostly about gameplay and gameplay doesn't necessarily have to be the number 1 aspect. Games shouldn't be so limited in their scope. If so, then we need a separate term for 'games' like Journey, Dear Esther, Stanley Parable, Gone Home etc. which are all great experiences.

I can't see that at all. moot said Take away the story/character interaction and TLoU isn't a great game

Can he or yourself elaborate on the quality of that games gameplay because from that statement it doesn't sound good.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Oh, he's completely wrong, if that helps.
  • Oh right. Not sure why it matters too much as all someone needs to know is "the game is amazing and is running away with B&B GOTY". Anyway...

He is wrong indeed. Game played fine to me. Won't win awards for its 'gameplay', but I rather enjoyed moments of staking the cordyceps and taking them out one by one. When I came across clusters occasionally I would set traps using bombs and stuff and lure them, that kind of thing. I also thought the way the guns handled was pretty good.
  • I do own the game and will play it but I find it alarming that as gamers we're accepting a game with average (judging from moots comment) gameplay as our GOTY.

That said I actually like the sound of it on the back of what you just said elf.

Maybe I've just taken moots words the wrong way or maybe he's not made himself clear enough but either way it's not the first time I've heard that about this game.

Like always I will ultimately judge for myself.

I do stand by my original point though...
    Video games are not movies, I think its sad that the lines are being blured.

The experience of Space Invaders or Multiplayer Street Fighter cannot be recreated in a book or in the cinema.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • "Software-on-a-games-console of the year" then. I note your point, but I just look at it differently and cannot agree. So we agree to disagree then, yeah?

I can write lots and lots about games and movies and blurring lines and all that jazz, but I'm not one to write much. I just don't think it has to be one or the other, games can successfully mix the two and I think Last of Us is the bestest one to do that.

I mean. The gameplay in Half Life 2 wasn't exactly amazing, but see how much praise that gets! The shooting is rubbish compared to Halo. (I love them both almost equally.)
  • Yeah but Half-Life 2 wasn't very good.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Half Life 2 was piss-poor.

I generally agree with the 'games are about the gameplay' argument. Having said that, I loved The Walking Dead, and that was as much down to the story as the gameplay, although the two slotted together so well that it's kind of hard to know where one ends and the other begins.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    ...I loved The Walking Dead, and that was as much down to the story as the gameplay...

The Walking Dead didn't have any gameplay, though. There were no mechanics to the game. (That is an exaggeration. There was minimal gameplay and mechanics.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The gameplay was in the decisions you made.
  • In other news, I might keep the following from my Piles and play them (at some point):

Eternal Sonata
    El Shaddai

The following don't seem to be worth anything and I may chuck into the FTAGH thread:

Far Cry 2
    Deus Ex HR
    Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
    Contact
    Sleeping Dogs (didn't check value, this belongs to Daviedigi so I need to return to him or chuck into the thread)

No idea what the following are worth:

Yakuza 3 promo copy
    Gyakuten Saiban 3 (Ace Attorney 3 Jap version)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The gameplay was in the decisions you made.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well now, I'd never thought of that. Good point, well made Elf.
  • I do own the game and will play it but I find it alarming that as gamers we're accepting a game with average (judging from moots comment) gameplay as our GOTY. 

Except the gameplay isn't average. Don't judge it from Moot's comments. Judge it from mine as well. The Last of Us is absolutely the game of the year, and that includes the gameplay.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Isn't it like films. Sometimes you want a nice well acted drama and sometimes you just want some people killing each other. Both films can be considered good, just in different ways.

Not all games have to have amazing gameplay to be amazing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I still want a film to be a good film whatever the genre or subject matter.
  • The story and setting of the Last of Us are what has put me off playing it. Fuck that post apocalyptic, ultra-serious, grim stuff. Games are so heavy handed and ham fisted at doing serious drama. Give me something fun, not heavy ham fists.

• Rules, rules, rules.

Games can be anything they like. Restrictions won't benefit anyone.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!