Jobsboard MEL
‹ Previous12
  • Hi all,

Cheeky promo thread. One of the things that I started when I was working as an employment consultant last year was Jobsboard MEL.

I mentioned it in the website thread at one point, but didn't feel the need to spruik it as you guys are in the UK and it's a very local idea.

Anyhoo, now I'm back only working (paid) mornings, I am not only looking for work myself, but also getting back to a bunch of the things I wanted to work on more but didn't have time to attack properly.

So, be my guinea pigs.

Here's the Jobsboard Blog on my website. That should give you the gist of what Jobsboard actually is. (Since I'm only quietly working on the site in spare time, and it's still only mostly the template from squarespace, I will happily take criticism and comments on layout (and I'd be interested to see if you guys can actually leave comments on there), but it's absolutely a work in (limited) progress.

I need help with the following:

- Facebook page likes. (Those of you I have on FB are about to get an invite) Feel free to like and then block the feed if you're in the UK. (I don't know if that's good or bad for my page, but 6 more likes and I get access to some random analytics.

- I do probably need some help with the website, but may end up hitting up some more local friends on that front, still, if someone wants to have a fiddle with squarespace for free. . . .

- have a look at the other social media pages, would love some feedback. 

- Thoughts on a logo/typeface appreciated.

Cheers.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • heh. Looks like the blog is password protected, and set to go to my FB page. Taking the password off now.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My main suggestion is that you need to cut down your copy quite a bit.

Look objectively at you content and what you are trying to say and reduce the number of words by about 50%.

Then run through and see if you can reduce them again.

Use bold or bullets or 1,2,3 to get across key points. People scan read online.

Also use smaller simpler words rather than longer ones. Not that necessarily people are stupid, rather that they want to read as quickly as possible.

For example, don't use vacancy when you can use job etc.

Get across the proposition and benefits straight away.

I've only looked at on my phone and looks good as a site, can't comment on the rest of stuff until I look on desktop.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'd put a call to action to the various social networks after the first paragraph.

So something like "read enough? Sign up today for FREE"

Then the links to the social networks

• Agreed - it looks like what it is, a blog post - you want people excited you may have to clarify (read: shorternize) the message a bit.

Is this supposed to be the thoughtful detailed part, or the ATTRACT USE THIS part?
  • Face, throw me an invite and I'll like it for you.
  • Cheers for the feedback guys. Very much appreciated. 

Re the length: because the entity which is Jobsboard kind of only lives on social media, and because the point has been to keep things simple and visual, I haven't had a place to actually go into more depth and explain things. Hence the long windedness, to an extent.

I agree I need to shorten it though. Part of my problem is trying to convey how it works, who can use it and why they would. 

I'm tempted to do separate posts for employers, jobseekers and the public. 

Can I be cheeky and ask anyone who's read the post to post here how they thing Jobsboard MEL works? That will definitely help me refocus my writing.

@dante: cheers, but you shouldn't need an invite. That's the point. You just find Jobsboard MEL on FB, twitter, tumblr, flickr or instagram and like or follow. I'll be interested to see if you guys can find it, and/or if it shows up in searches and such, because the FB page, at least, is set to Australia only. That's by design, because the point of the site is to find local jobs. I'm hoping to build it up in melbourne first, and then it's easy enough to set it up for anywhere. At the moment #jobsboard is the trigger, but as it gains momentum I may change it to #jobsbaordmel and then it's easy to have jobsboardsyd etc etc.
  • Found on Twitter and now following.
  • Cheers. On twitter it shouldn't clog up your feed too much. I'm only wary of getting people on FB to like it if they're not in Melb. You probably don't need to know that a cafe in QV is looking for a barista.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Throw me a Twitter request and I'll follow.

But holy hoops, the size o' Chris!
  • Done.

Created a Instagram account called Jobsboard MEL as well. Actually getting some follows there too. Although they will only see what I have taken pics of, not ads posted by other people.

Still, starting to get some traction.
  • I seem to be able to find everything but the FB.
  • Well, that makes sense. As I said, I have deliberately set it up to only show up in Oz. What if you put in facebook.com/jobsboardmel?
  • It redirects me to the homepage
  • heh? Which homepage? Your FB homepage?
  • All good. That's actually good to know. Actually happier that it keeps it to Oz.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Face, I've just sent you a friend request on Facebook. I couldn't find JobsboardMEL on there.
  • Cheers. 

Re FB: See above, because I only have it set to Australia, it just doesn't appear for you, so don't worry about the FB like.
  • Fucking hell. Twitter is hella useful.

had a call from the managing director of one of the major job ad websites in the country. have upped the amount of content and also sat down with Streat Cafe's yesterday talking about the idea. Struggling to know how to turn it into a business, but it may well lead to some work for me anyway.

Have just joined Hub Melbourne too. I needs me a collaborator/business partner.
  • Read the front page and while it makes perfect sense it could probably be condensed and simplified massively, then have a separate page with the gory details.

The front page could probably just summarise the process in 3 pictures with 1 sentence each to describe the process and payoff.  Dropbox does this really well.

If I can't get the gist of something online in about 5 to 10 seconds it's over.  I've read that for most people they make up their mind if they are going to stay on a web page in less than that, more like 3 seconds!  But your idea could well be expressed in a really quick way, so that's cool.  And good luck!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Ooh if we're promoting things can you all like my FB page, LEEMAC DESIGN, though there is something in it because we will be giving some freebies away inc. Roof Wraps for vehicles. :)
  • Good shout again Billy. 

Meanwhile, my PC has chosen right now to be shit again, so it's a toss of a coin if I can go home and use it every day. Killing me right now. And we have no ready funds to pay for a new laptop.
  • @skerret. I need to talk to you. let's play pool.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I keep meaning to say when I follow the link to the facebook page it puts me back at the index- almost like it doesn't exist or is blocked.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    BTW, it's a wonderful idea.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • It is blocked. Australia only. 

Which is actually good. As it's currently designed to be Melbourne only.
  • I mentioned in one of the other threads, but I'm wondering if hootsuite or the like allows auto retweeting of pics with the right # from anyone, not just my own accounts.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Well I put a link up on facebook, lot of friends are expats over there, figured they could share the shit out of it or at least keep it in mind.

I thought IFTTT did that- maybe yahoo pipes could solve it. Not certain though

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/

or http://tarpipe.com/, which was my preference when I needed it because the UI was better than pipes
  • Cheers. IFTTT (and Zapier) only let you control stuff related directly with your own accounts. Instagram is the only one that lets you trawl with a # from anyone's account.

Will have a look at this pipes lark now.
  • Cloudwork looks nicer, but seems severely limited. Yahoo pipes looks clunky as fuck, but possibly very powerful. Awesome. 

Great find. Will definitely explore that a bit more today.

Have an interview with a possible intern/volunteer today.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!