Arcade gaming
  • Really wide tracks in the game mean there's less rubber banding but its a farce of a game. The playthrough speedrun is worth a watch if you have the time.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "rubber banding"?

I'm guessing you mean that there's less overtaking... Enlighten me?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • The game artificially cgives back markers a boost to catch up
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's what I thought. But then arcade racers are notorious for 'rubber banding' in multiplayer at least, so wanted a bit of clarification.
  • You really shouldn't get any rubber banding in mp- maybe the game resets you on track generously if you crash but surely it world break any mp?

Usually it's in sp where despite doing 2 perfect laps and leaving everyone for dead, you can make a slight error on the 3rd lap and be passed by vehicles that have magically caught up with you even though you'd been flat out throughout.

Motorstorm was particularly awful for this, especially in the later races.
  • Not sure how wide tracks would mean less rubber banding. Surely the width of the track doesn't affect whether the game gives people at the back higher speed?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Not sure how wide tracks would mean less rubber banding. Surely the width of the track doesn't affect whether the game gives people at the back higher speed?

I wanted to ask that...

But I can't really question the reasoning on the design of the game by a forumite who calls himself Mario Kart...

My first thought was that the wider tracks give more space to evade attacks, thus nullifying the common cause for any kart to break the racing line... 

All important here, cause' you can't confuse a racing game checkpoint system with an element of chance.
  • the mt mechanic doesn't boost much so its a very item based. Items on a narrow track would fuck everything up so they've widened the track. This means more avoidance during combat meaning that the rubber banding is less than other iterations. Its simply not needed so much compared to where the tracks are more narrow.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I find the rubber banding in outrun 2 disgusting
  • Catch-up is par for the course on MK, always has been.

You can disable it on Outrun 2:SP (consoles), which, just whilst I'm here, is one of the best games ever kthx
  • I mean, how boring would MK races be without catch-up? Pretty fucking boring for a lot of them, I'd say. I was a demon on that game (snes + 64) in my yoof and I doubt my bro would've stuck it out so much if he was always miles and miles behind.
  • I though Mario Kart dealt with it by giving you lightnings and blue shells if you're losing and nothing but banana skins if you're winning.
  • its more than that
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are plenty of racing games that rubber band in multi-player to keep the interest up. I believe Sega Rally on Saturn even had something like that - so it's been around for a good while.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Catch-up is par for the course on MK, always has been. You can disable it on Outrun 2:SP (consoles), which, just whilst I'm here, is one of the best games ever kthx

You rate it that, highly? Interesting...

What about Forza?
  • Haven't spent enough time on Forza to pass judgment really, but I'm pretty much an out-and-out arcadey-racer, and I think Forza falls into that PGR-like, half realistic (looks) half arcadey (mechanics), right?

With OR as well, it was the first game I ever worked on back in QA - first day in the office, "what am I doing boss?", "er... there y'are, stick on multiplayer OR2 for the next month or so." Brilliant.

Outrun 2006 SP C2C course, Goal A, 288 GTO, Shake the Street 80s BGM - heaven. Do that all day, just long, lazy drifts, Sega blue skies, Clarissa or Holly in the passenger seat, not a care in the world.
  • There was an OutRun 2 SP arcade cabinet at Minehead Butlins.

I'd never played the arcade version before. It was brilliant, obviously.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Haven't spent enough time on Forza to pass judgment really, but I'm pretty much an out-and-out arcadey-racer, and I think Forza falls into that PGR-like, half realistic (looks) half arcadey (mechanics), right? With OR as well, it was the first game I ever worked on back in QA - first day in the office, "what am I doing boss?", "er... there y'are, stick on multiplayer OR2 for the next month or so." Brilliant. Outrun 2006 SP C2C course, Goal A, 288 GTO, Shake the Street 80s BGM - heaven. Do that all day, just long, lazy drifts, Sega blue skies, Clarissa or Holly in the passenger seat, not a care in the world.

I still fuck with Daytona... I like the second game alot, but when the first Gran Turismo came out and took the whole 'edutainment' angle, my perspective changed instantly.

Can't fuck with your sentimental attachment to the game though! :]

How the fuck would anyone ever leave that job, eh?
  • A new Daytona apparently on its way from SEGA.

How wonderfully random!

https://twitter.com/hashtag/DaytonaIsBack?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Wonderful stuff.  Look how much he's enjoying it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There is something about Daytona. For me it is the definitive arcade racer above all others.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    A new Daytona apparently on its way from SEGA. How wonderfully random! https://twitter.com/hashtag/DaytonaIsBack?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Awesome!

And don't get it twisted, I download Takenobu Mitsuyoshi shit.
    His Ridge Racer track is too much.
  • Why don't Sega just release an arcade racer compilation with all their arcade stuff on it? Take my money, for fuck sake.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • It's no secret that I love me a bit of Sega, but I've never been taken with Daytona at home. This might be due to starting with the CCE release on Saturn, which vastly improved the visuals but thoroughly borked the handling.
  • Ander Herrera spits Mark Clattenburg battle rap.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Much preferred SEGA Rally and Bird Show Racing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fuck gav got there first. Yall should play the luigis mansion arcade. Got that suitably chunky Nintendo FEEL on the hoover accessory and has a clicks rumble feature when sooking up coins.

Tl;dr it's legit
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also a fan of that dark escape 4d nonsense - Japan as fuck
  • Official name is Daytona 3 Championship USA

Daytona%20–%20%20The%20True%20Legend%20Is%20Back-1.jpg?itok=6-gfnApd
    Daytona – The True Legend Is Back

Daytona – The True Legend Is Back
    You read that right, Daytona is back and just as it was first time around in the 90s, it’s set to be a game changer. Daytona USA is the pinnacle of arcade racing and now Sega is ready to bring its #1 racer screeching into the 21st century!

It revolutionised the arcade scene when it was first launched in 1994, and this franchise can deservedly lay claim to bold statements such as iconic, classic and legendary.

This brand new version, Daytona 3 Championship USA, features three brand new tracks including a recreation of the newly renovated Daytona International Speedway. In addition, the original three classic courses have been remastered for the modern era. New cars and new game modes bring more for players old and new to experience.

Sega has gone all out on a cabinet design to do this global brand justice and make it stand out from the pack. The cabinet with 47” LED monitor is linkable for up to eight players and lit from top to bottom. It even has a moulded under seat engine! New game features include a live in-game camera system so you can enjoy maximum bragging rights as you overtake your friends! Also brand new to Daytona 3 is the ‘Live TV’ inspired spectator video billboard marquee with 27” display. This allows spectators to see what’s happening in the race, whether it’s a crash, a pass for position or to find out who’s winning or losing!

“This is a game changer. This is a premium game that delivers on quality, player experience and operator features that sets a very high bar for arcade video racing games. Importantly we have based it on the original game engine that gave us the amazing ‘AI’ and ‘catch up’ feeling that we all grew to love” commented Patrick Michael, Head of Local R&D.

The game also has an all-new party mode allowing operators to run special events easily. In addition, to assist engineers, there is the introduction of ‘Sega-IQ Intelligent Service Menus’; these are designed to offer prompts and troubleshooting advice when the onsite technician is maintaining the game.

“At SEGA we have always been passionate about developing the best arcade racing games, it’s part of our DNA, so to have the opportunity to work on this title that truly captures the spirit of the racing scene in Daytona is nothing short of an honour.” commented Sega’s CEO Paul Williams.

Whether players enjoyed the game back in the 90s or experience it now for the first time, they’ll find it’s easy to pick up and fun to master; with simple and quick menu options they will be straight to the starting grid. Confidence will come from the first lap and the competitive spirt will kick in as players find themselves challenging their rivals for the lead!
    Developed and manufactured to the highest quality, Daytona 3 Championship USA will feature in game rooms and FEC’s for years to come.

Have you got what it takes to take the flag again.... because Daytona is back!

Come and visit us at IAAPA on stand 1606 to experience Daytona 3 Championship USA for yourself. To Pre-order speak to Sega on +44 (0)208 391 8090 or +1 (847) 364-9787 or email on [email protected], or contact your local Authorized Sega Distributor.

DAYTONA is registered trademark of the International Speedway, Inc. and licensed to International Speedway Corporation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!