Arcade gaming
‹ Previous12345
  • So I'm currently at a bowling alley and of course there are some arcade games. And they all look awful. 6 lightgun games, 4 driving games and two driving/lightgun games. Plus the obligatory Dance Dance something or other. Graphically they look shit too, about two gens old compared to home systems.

Not even a fighter to be seen.

Is there anything good going on in the scene? Any recommendations for games or arcades worth a visit? Or has it had its time now?
  • Heart of gaming or HOG as it's known.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Most Saturdays we'd go down Whitley with pockets full of change and then normally end up having to walk home because we'd spent it all on the likes of Smash TV and APB.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just watched a video on YouTube about hog. It looked like there was only fight games, is there anything else?
  • mk64 wrote:
    Heart of gaming or HOG as it's known.
    This.

I think they have more than fighting games, but that is the focus.
  • Arcades in seaside towns are especially depressing these days.  Even Mr. B's in Leysdown is wall-to-wall fruitys.  The most fun I can have in their is trying to spot which cabinets have been unplugged and pushed into the elephant's graveyard in the corner.  Outrun was there a couple of years ago, facing the wall.  What a waste.  Does the Tracadero in London still have games (or even exist)?  Last time I walked past all sorts of building work was going on. 

The Catford Bridge Tavern has now closed, so their MAME cabinet is currently in storage.  A sad state of affairs, because it had a vast number of games on it and a decent stick.  As much as I'd love to visit a decent retro arcade, having one in my local pub was absolutely incredible.  I've offered to buy it if they don't pull their finger out, we've mentioned petitions etc, but it seems there's a push and pull over who gets it between the managers that moved to different pubs.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Just watched a video on YouTube about hog. It looked like there was only fight games, is there anything else?

There is...

Last time I went, they also had a House of the Dead cabinet, and a Naomi cabinet running Border Down.

They also had/have Donkey Kong and a few other NES classics, Galaga (I think) and Puzzle Bomber. They also appear to have a good number of PCB's in storage.
    Edge did a feature on the place which showed which games they had at the time.

Where the place has potential, is in providing a large open space to play just about anything... What I would like to see them do, is buy a couple of racing seats, and hook up Forza 5, because racing game cabinets are expensive.

And just imagine if a place like that kept a few Oculus Rift set ups in storage...

I do like fighting games, alot, but with the state of the industry, the owners have to realise that HOG (for it's name alone) can be bigger than just that...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yup. And the idea of paying by the hour is brilliant. Rather than the quid for five minutes model you normally get these days.
  • If anyone is interested, there's an event on in Blackpool 3/4 May, which could also be turned into a Northern 'stock'?

http://www.playblackpool.com/
  • WorKid wrote:
    Most Saturdays we'd go down Whitley with pockets full of change and then normally end up having to walk home because we'd spent it all on the likes of Smash TV and APB.
    Spanish City + assorted Sega hydraulic cabinets = a wonderful gaming childhood.

• What is the Spanish City adored?  Obviously I could Google it, but asking on here is more fun.  I know Knopfler thought it was pretty when he was a kid.
  • Bottom pic needs a subdued widdly solo when you click on it. Sad stuff.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    We finally got the Daytona Machine to link up! And all that was need to place a small bit of cardboard in the right place! Ah, the beauty and simplicity of yesterdays technology! Thanks to Phil Lindridge for supplying the piece of said card, and urging me to take the time to try!

Coo!...

I'll be there this weekend, if only for Ultra SF4.
  • What time? Meet up? I'll text you.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • i'm away camping or would rep
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    What time? Meet up? I'll text you.

Good call. :]

You should suggest a time otherwise I'll just drift over there on a randum, as it's almost a walk for me to get there. The more the merrier btw...
  • The only arcades of merit in Australia are in Sydney or Melbourne; I live near neither.

The closest thing to an arcade where I live is the cinema which has a skilltester and next to that 2 semi-operable daytona cabs.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I have prior engagement on Saturday at 4:40pm so Sunday may work best. They open??
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Should be, but I don't know how long they'll have the test builds for.
  • Vela wrote:
    The only arcades of merit in Australia are in Sydney or Melbourne; I live near neither. The closest thing to an arcade where I live is the cinema which has a skilltester and next to that 2 semi-operable daytona cabs.

I went to an arcade in sydney almost every day I was there. It was by a cinema towards china town. Had 3rd Strike
  • Should be, but I don't know how long they'll have the test builds for.

Full info on their FB page:

"More info for #ultrastreetfighter4atHoG . Bit long winded this one, but please read as it contains important info.

There will be NO Ultra Sf4 set ups to play after midnight on Friday and Saturday. This is because the Capcom representative will be removing the hard drives from the 20 set ups in his absence (a guys gotta sleep, right?) and then returning with them the following morning. I fully understand and support this, its important that this title is not leaked or stolen. Its a great chance to work with a company who clearly values what we do here, and whom has given us many great memories over the years.

We will open the doors at 11am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, closing at midnight on Friday and Saturday, and 11pm on Sunday. This is to ensure everyone makes their last train and noone is stranded.

Now, we understand that some of you wish to come for 2 or all 3 days of the event, so here is what we can offer, and the rules regarding it.

1) Pricing. A three day pass will cost £25. A two day weekend pass will be £20. This will entitle you to stay overnight in the building also (more on that and what it offers further down). Please note, to take advantage of these offers, you will have to pay on the door when you arrive. We accomodate wherever possible as most of you know, but this time there is no 'can I see how I feel later?' or 'so and so is covering me, he'll be down in a bit'. This weekend will be far too busy to chase people, and on top of this, many have stated they want to attend all 3 days already. Naturally, noone is forcing you to stay here, you are welcome to leave and return the following day if you have purchased the required pass.

2) Facilities. Whilst Ultra will not be available past midnight, we can set up some ps3's and 360's for people to play. There will be a number of arcade machines running, mostly Super Turbo from the 20th anniversary arcade tournament, however it may be that we can change some of the machines to run other games such as 3rd Strike, PROVIDED it doesn't interfere with what the Super Turbo crew are doing.

All games will be turned off at 2am. Reason for this is that people will need sleep, and neither me or the HoG staff wish to be waking people up during the day who are falling asleep on the couches because they were up all night. In the day, we are open for business, which in this instance, means games

3) Formats. The event is being held on Xbox360, we will not be able to provide controllers so you *MUST* bring your own. If you have a converter to use PS3 sticks or pads, this is fine.

We are hoping to sell basic snack food and drinks at this event. People are welcome to bring food, there will be no use of kitchen facilities this time around though due to the scale of the event, and this applies to everyone. Also, noone is permitted to order take away meals to be delivered, again, this comes down to the scale of the event size, trying to locate someone to tell them that their hawaiian with extra pineapple has arrived is just not happening. People are naturally allowed to go and buy meals and bring them back. Dominoes pizza is a 5 minute walk, as is Subway, a nice Lebanese restaurant, numerous breakfast bars and a nice, healthy and affordable cafe housed inside an Asda Superstore.

Im sorry if Ive seemed abrupt in this post, but this is the HoG's first liason with a company publicly debuting a software title here, and it MUST go smoothly. Remember, I'm a gamer myself and I know how 'comfortable' we can get

If there are any more ultra inquiries, post here, and I'll answer asap. For Super Turbo 20th, please message me, thanks.

Mark"
  • Lebanese restaurant, yeassss
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    If anyone is interested, there's an event on in Blackpool 3/4 May, which could also be turned into a Northern 'stock'?

http://www.playblackpool.com/

I could do this.

psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Not exactly a traditional arcade but for those who like pinball http://www.pinballparlour.co.uk/museum.htm

I still haven't been but will try and visit in the summer.

Some amazing machines on their flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/87287574@N03/
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Just found out there's a database of locations for pinball machines in the uk!

http://www.pinformer.co.uk
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Nice find.

There are exactly two machines near me.
  • I had a look at the latest Mario Kart Arcade GP the other day and it didn't look great: I'm not sure what Namco were trying to accomplish, but the driving model looked like pants and when Karts collide with each other they don't actually do anything. Hard to explain that last bit.

And the less said about the items the better.
  • do you mean they dont do much like in daytona when cars are side by side and judder? 

I'm not a big fan of the arcade mk's. Abusing the franchise imo
  • That's it, it just doesn't feel like the designers expected you to want to barge opponents out of the way.

After seeing DX, I'm definitely not a fan of arcade Mario Kart, seems like Namco gets more out of that partnership than Nintendo. Course design was also dire, and it's not like they had to make the tracks less crazy to accommodate for new controls like in F Zero AX: motion controls on Mario Kart 8 work great on all its tracks no matter how complex.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!