Raspberry Pi
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    So there's a new Pi0 with WiFi and Bluetooth. Might get one to put Kodi on.

Now THATS a great idea
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Free to a good home: issues 40 to 45 of MagPi. Contributions towards postage appreciated but not required. Cross-posted to FTAGH thread.

Is there much weight to them Swirl? I've downloaded a lot of the PDFs but would be nice to have something physical.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Now THATS a great idea

Not sure if that's sarcasm but it'd put some life into an old TV.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • It would. Kodi on the pi model 2 can be a bit slow to process the streams though (there is a definite increase in speed between the two and three), so the new zero might be a little underpowered?
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Now THATS a great idea

Not sure if that's sarcasm but it'd put some life into an old TV.

Nope, genuinely like that idea. I do wonder if it's powerful enough but for the few quid outlay it's worth a try
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Is there much weight to them Swirl? I've downloaded a lot of the PDFs but would be nice to have something physical.

All six is over 2kg, so it'd be cheaper to send them as two bundles of three. They're the right size to do as large letters, so hopefully postage would be £2.40-ish all together.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I played a bit with OSMC on a regular zero as a handy portable media player but obviously lack of internet was an issue for streams. Worth giving a go anyway. I'll report back eventually.

@swirl,decent heft to them then? If nobody else has claimed, I'd be happy to send you a few quid on Thursday. Might be a bit more to Ireland?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    @swirl,decent heft to them then? If nobody else has claimed, I'd be happy to send you a few quid on Thursday. Might be a bit more to Ireland?

You're first in line. Northern or Republic of?

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Republic
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, that'll make a difference. I'll take 'em to work and get the postage calculated.
  • Yeah,prob an extra charge to send it to EU! ;)
    Thanks
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Sending things to the EU now carries a "traitor to the Fatherland" fee... :'(

If I send 3 lots of 2 issues, £19.80. Two lots of 3 is £19.70, and one parcel would be £26.28. I'd stick with your PDFs!
  • Holy shit! Hence the reason why I never subscribed. Thanks for taking time to check it out for me. Should really check out my local bookstore/big newsagent.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    No problem.

I'll see if I can find a local Pi group in a school or something, otherwise it'll have to be off to the recycling bin. :/
  • Doctors/Dentists or any where with a waiting room would probably take them off your hands.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nah, odds on they'll spend very little time in the waiting room before they end up in someone's house (and then recycled). There's a reason that you never see anything but disintegrating copies of Reader's Digest and National Geographic in waiting rooms.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
  • 16406867_10154825679881427_9080898708269897953_n.jpg?oh=978f430cca657126a01fde6108230d0a&oe=59880875
    So I now actually have everything I need to one day finish my Atari 2600 pi. I've stripped out the guts of the machine. I've fitted an SD card extension into the Cartridge slot so I can just change the OS without having to open it up. I'm using a 12volt power supply that is wired to the Main power switch. When switched on it passes the power to the TV Type switch. When it's set to "Color" the power goes through a Buck convertor and drops the voltage to 5 volts and powers up the Pi. When it's set to "BW" the 12 volts goes through to a bluetooth amplifier with 2 speakers connected. 

So I can either use my Atari as a Kodi/Games machine or with the flick of the switch connect my mobile to the bluetooth amp and play music. I bought an 8 bit do controller and it's amazing. Still got a bit of work to do but finally finally nearly there!
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That, sir, is fucking epic.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Also fucking epic, the ZX Spectrum Next is in prototype stage and is ready for funding on Kickstarter.

What's this got to do with the Raspberry Pi? Well, the ZXSN has a new expansion port, which uses a Pi0 as an accelerator card.
  • Scotswahey wrote:
    16406867_10154825679881427_9080898708269897953_n.jpg?oh=978f430cca657126a01fde6108230d0a&oe=59880875
    So I now actually have everything I need to one day finish my Atari 2600 pi. I've stripped out the guts of the machine. I've fitted an SD card extension into the Cartridge slot so I can just change the OS without having to open it up. I'm using a 12volt power supply that is wired to the Main power switch. When switched on it passes the power to the TV Type switch. When it's set to "Color" the power goes through a Buck convertor and drops the voltage to 5 volts and powers up the Pi. When it's set to "BW" the 12 volts goes through to a bluetooth amplifier with 2 speakers connected. 

So I can either use my Atari as a Kodi/Games machine or with the flick of the switch connect my mobile to the bluetooth amp and play music. I bought an 8 bit do controller and it's amazing. Still got a bit of work to do but finally finally nearly there!

I'd love something like this for my Pi.

What I dislike most about the Pi is the lack of a power button. I'd use it a lot more if it had one.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I have no interest in playing the SNES version. Outside of a curiosity, nobody should.

I tried the SNES version of Alpha 2 earlier. Wow. It freezes at times, and that's the Wii U copy, so it can't be an emulation problem (well, it can, but you know what I mean).
  • I'm pretty sure retroking had the cart, which we played a couple of years ago.  It's impressive that a functioning port exists, but it did freeze briefly at the start of bouts iirc.
  • Yeah it freezes at the start of every fight as if it's loading.

It's the version I had back in the day as I played the waiting game for the N64.

I absolutely loved it tbh, it's no where near arcade perfect but it played fine. So much so that it was played in multiplayer sessions at my house by PS owning friends and there was no real complaints.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Scotswahey wrote:
    16406867_10154825679881427_9080898708269897953_n.jpg?oh=978f430cca657126a01fde6108230d0a&oe=59880875

Anyone know if there's somewhere that sells custom cases like this?

I want something big like what @Scotswahey has done here.

Adding a bit of bulk and especially a power button is a really good idea imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
  • Sirs has a questions.
    I have libreElec installed with Krypton. I've got Noobs v1.9 installed as a boot manager/installer thing.
    1)What is the best emulator software to install? Retropi?
    2)If so how do I dual boot? RetroPi doesnt appear as an option on Noobs. I read that if I install that way it wipes and reinstalls LibreElec?

If that is the case Ill probably just install on a different SD card.

Thanks
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Hello. Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Is it easy to use an 8bitdo controller with this? Like, will it just work or do you need drivers? If you need drivers is that easy to do?

How easy is it to install retropi? Does retropi already include emulators for things like SNES, NES, Megadrive, Spectrum and Atari ST? Is it easy to download the ROMs?

Can you do things like save-states, or is it just like it was 'back in the day'?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hello,

I haven't used 8bitdo controllers, some here have and say it isn't too tough.

Retropie is easy to install, yes. Loads of emulators included, up to about 32 bit it covers pretty much everything. ROMS aren't tough to find.

Save states are included in everything.
  • Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!