Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Well, as the tree said to the lumber jack, I'm stumped.
    Make game, make sure game works, print game on disc. It's the future. - SpaceGazelle
  • I'm looking at building one of these for some retro gaming goodness. Can someone point me in the direction of an (idiots) guide to do this?

Thanks!
    Let's go exploring....
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, it seems this was the guide I couldn’t find before:

http://retrojar.com/retropie-setup-guide/

• Thanks Yossa.
    Let's go exploring....
  • Andy
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @DrewMerson
    Xbox
    Drew Merson
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    DrewMerson

Send message
    ...there was the Switch but Nintendo rectified that in a fw update.

I’m still getting that problem.
  • Andy wrote:
    ...there was the Switch but Nintendo rectified that in a fw update.

I’m still getting that problem.

That's a shame, the update fixed it for me. What brand of TV you got?

I think there's something in the Switch system settings you might be able to turn off that might help.

PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: retroking1981 - 3DS: 4210-3980-2083
    PLAY GAMES NOT CONSOLES!
  • Andy
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @DrewMerson
    Xbox
    Drew Merson
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    DrewMerson

Send message
    It’s an LG telly. I solve the problem by only docking the switch when the batteries need charging. My telly is pretty small (32”) so I actually mostly play handheld, where the screen takes up more of my field of vision.
  • Andy
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @DrewMerson
    Xbox
    Drew Merson
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    DrewMerson

Send message
    Oh, I should say, it’s an automatic HDMI splitter that I use, which possibly needs a smaller ping to switch than the telly would to change channel.
  • That's what I did and I use an automatic HDMI splitter too.

It really annoyed me, I thought the fix was widespread, hopefully it's something they keep looking into.
    PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: retroking1981 - 3DS: 4210-3980-2083
    PLAY GAMES NOT CONSOLES!
  • Got my SNES mini coming soon but thinking of selling it as my Pi has the entire SNES rom selection on it with a funky Bluetooth SNES style 8bitDo controller
    3DS friend code - 4725-7938-9169
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I keep meaning to retroPi - but I also have half a MAME cabinet unfinished in the garage....
  • Alrighty then, I'm going to try and set up my Raspberry Pi as a file server, wondering if people here have done this and how responsive it is?

I really kind of hate having a HDD in my PC, despite my best efforts it's still the noisiest thing in the system. I would love to ditch it in favour of solid state storage but the cost is still too prohibitive for the capacity, so I'm stuck with spinning rust for now.

I've also been wanting the ability to access my music and sample library from anywhere, on my laptop or my Android phone. I wouldn't want to leave my PC on all the time or faff with some kind of remote wakeup thing either.

So I realised I could kill two birds with one stone by using the Raspberry Pi 3 I have lying around as some kind of file server. I could rip my current hard drive out of my PC, stick it in a USB 3.0 dock I have, connect it to the Pi with the server stuff on it (Pi connecting to router wirelessly), put them into a soundproofed cardboard box or whatever, then shove the fucker in the back of a wardrobe or under my bed or something. Then just have it running constantly so I can access it on whatever device I'm using wherever I'm at. I'd probably want to have some software to check what temp the HDD is reporting, just so it's not getting absolutely cooked. I think it will be fine though as they don't get that warm, particularly at 5400RPM.

Looks like there might be a few ways of doing this, need to do some more research to find what's best. Any recommendations or experiences would be welcome.
    PSN/Steam - GurtTractor | Overwatch - GURTTRACTOR#2785
  • No idea.

Every time this thread pops up I have the same thought as the time before:
    JonB wrote:
    I should really do this at some point. It's all very tempting.
    One day. Maybe.
  • Do it.  Once it's all up and running it's the best thing since MP3 players.  I didn't set mine up though, hence the fact that mine's up and running.
    You have minecraft?
  • Yeah, I sometimes think I can't be arsed with the set up but it would be worth it. I also just tend to keep buying new games whenever I've got the money for it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!