Raspberry Pi
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    If you're not looking to add drives via USB and you want to go over a network, and you're on windows check out this http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=SMB/Windows there are notes at the bottom of the entry if you've win8 anywhere. 

You can find other ways here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=File_sharing.

This page is dedicated to pi-ness http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi/FAQ#Accessing_media

Happy terminaling.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • So what with everything in my life totally changing during this past year I've barely had time to touch my Raspberry pi. But tonight I sat down with my daughter and gave Scratch a go. Together we made a game where our little dinosaur ran around chasing a chicken drum stick. It's no Ico but it's a start. Anyone else tried using it?
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I've had a play with Scratch but not managed to achieve anything with it yet. Seems like a great way of getting kids into programming, though.

In other news, I got a Pi and neat little case for Christmas. I've downloaded the NOOBs software and put Raspbian on it. I pondered Pidora but I've got more experience with Debian based flavours of Linux than Fedora off-shoots.

I need a project I can do with it. Any cool ideas? I'm thinking I might try to turn it into a laptop.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Do something with the GPIO stuff, isn't that your domain? Sensors and actuators.

There are simple dooralarm kits about, there are libraries for attaching PSeyes and getting them to detect movement via OpenCV- then email or post the images somewhere.

I say door alarm as that's fairly basic, learn an input what it's ranges mean and do something when it's within thresholds.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Got a Pi for Christmas - what crazy awesome stuff should I do with it? Difficult to decide on any one project atm.
    The janitor.
  • I still haven't done anything with mine yet, will be doing some audio shizzle though, you can get pure data on it which is pretty cool. Check this out -

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/07/roll-your-own-looper-cheap-raspberry-pi-pd-korg-monotron-hands-on/ (More vidz and stuff in there, check out the guitar one.)

I've got everything I need to do something like that as well.

Decent little intro to what can be done.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Do something with the GPIO stuff, isn't that your domain? Sensors and actuators. There are simple dooralarm kits about, there are libraries for attaching PSeyes and getting them to detect movement via OpenCV- then email or post the images somewhere. I say door alarm as that's fairly basic, learn an input what it's ranges mean and do something when it's within thresholds.

Hmm, interesting. I'll have a look. PSeye might be interesting, you can pick those up for less than the price of a coffee.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh wait - PSeye plugs in the usb dun'it. Not in keeping with the CV stuff.

Maybe if I look at that again it might be using IR to trigger the camera.

Nothing to stop you from using openCV, like.

But just incase you go looking for what I've seen somewhere...

Petey, what you up for doing?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Oh wait - PSeye plugs in the usb dun'it. Not in keeping with the CV stuff.

It doesn't use GPIO, but it seems pretty easy to attach a PSEye.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It seems that we're a closet linux society and as such I'll leave this here

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/linux-101-hacks-ebook/
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yoink.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone managed to get RISC OS running on their Pi? I've downloaded the image and extracted it to an SD card, but it refuses to boot properly. (I get the start up screen, but then it chucks up an error message; "Message from Desktop. Machine startup has not completed successfully: 'File '.!BOOT' not found'"
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Why do you want to run RISC OS anyway!!?
  • Are you using the noobz image? If it doesn't take first time you just hit shift on boot and start again. Risc OS is brilliant thats why.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    No, no... Seriously... 

WHY!!?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Why do you want to run RISC OS anyway!!?

The same reasons you do anything on a RPi: 1) Shits and giggles. 2) Because you can.
    Scotswahey wrote:
    Are you using the noobz image?

I didn't think Noobs came with RISC OS on it? I thought it was just the four Linux-based distros.

I'll try holding down shift with my Noobs SD card, maybe it does have RISC OS on it...
  • The original Noobs didnt but the new version has. It's got RISC, Raspian, XBMC, Arch linux and I think another one.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    SOLD.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yup, the new version of NOOBS definitely has RISC OS on it. I now have RPi that can boot into RISC OS or Raspbian. Two steps forward, one back, however as RICS OS throws a wobbly immediately after getting to the desktop and fails to recognise my keyboard and mouse.
  • I had issue with getting it to work. I installed it a third time and it was ok.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'll keep at it. It's either that or go outside.
  • I'm still toying of the idea of removing the ethernet, sound and crappy video from the board so I can fit it in the SNES cart. It just depends on how long I'll want to use it just for games.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Have you considered using the Compute Module?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    1. Find a GameBoy Pocket.
    2. Rip out the guts and replace it with an RPi.
    3. ???
    4. Profit.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone got their Pi online via wifi? I bought a stick recently, but even though I appear to have put all the relevant settings in, none of the built-in web browsers in Raspbian can connect to a web page.
  • I haven't attempted mine with WiFi. Driver issues?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I use the Edimax wifi dongle from Amazon. It's one of the recommended dongles to use. If you're using Raspian you boot up the machine and open the wifi tab on the desktop. Do a scan and then figure out which type of Wifi you're using. This bit baffled me a little because theres lots of different types of wifi species. I guess they eat different shaped nuts or something. After that it should all work fine.

One issue with Wifi, there is a good chance the dongle wont have enough power if you have a keyboard/mouse plugged into one USB and the dongle in the other usb. Also if you are using a powered USB hub the Pi doesn't tend to like the wifi dongle being plugged into it. 

I set mine up with mouse, keyboard and USB pen drive plugged into the hub and the Wifi dongle plugged directly into the Pi.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    I haven't attempted mine with WiFi. Driver issues?

Possibly, though I bought a dongle that's supposed to work "out of the box". I may have to set up my Pi in the other room so I can ethernet it up. A few of the tutorials I've found about getting wi fi to work on the Pi assume that you're already online.
    Scotswahey wrote:
    One issue with Wifi, there is a good chance the dongle wont have enough power if you have a keyboard/mouse plugged into one USB and the dongle in the other usb.

Ah, smeg. I have one of these plugged into the second USB port. I was hoping to avoid having a powered USB hub, got enough things plugged into the wall as it is.
  • Blue are they any good? I was looking at them a while back but i've seen mixed reviews online.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!