Wookienopants        Wookienopant#2843

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I will play some Blizzard: The Activisioning.
  • I'm loving this, has become my go to competitive game at the moment.

My battletag is Nexx#2750. Happy to give people a crash course in hearthstone, I'm no expert but can usually go 6/7+ wins in Arena mode.

This is a pretty good starting point if you want to get good at the Arena mode.
  • I'd love to take part, but not willing to sit on my PC to do so. Wish they'd just hurry up and release it so I can grab it on ios.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Overdosed heavily in closed beta along with other Mordorites and have become slightly jaded by the dominance that direct damage Mage decks and the unreal amount of control exerted by your average Priest deck have over a lot of other decks.

That said, Murloc Druid deck fo' life. Fuck tha haterz.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I do love a good ios card battler thingy, so I am looking forward to this coming out on the ipad.
    Might and Magic had the potential on ios to be a really good one but the game is deeply fucked when it comes to the singleplayer campaign difficulty and it is heavily skewed towards in app purchases as you hit a wall very quickly and need to fork out cash to progress (or I do anyway coz i'm crap) or grind the multiplayer which I can't be arsed to do.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I don't mind paying cash for a good TCG tbh. After all, real trading card games require you to spend cash to get more and better cards, so the same should apply to virtual ones as well so it can offer a similar experience.
    Thing that's stopped me from splurging on an existing one is knowing if there's a player base on it.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    I don't mind paying cash for a good TCG tbh. After all, real trading card games require you to spend cash to get more and better cards, so the same should apply to virtual ones as well so it can offer a similar experience. Thing that's stopped me from splurging on an existing one is knowing if there's a player base on it.
    It's a bit like buying virtual hats instead of real hats, that's what I don't like.

Why is this good, Nexx? I trust your opinions on competitive games 'cos even though you're not hot when it comes to strategy you do talk a good game. Skimmed through that vid and it seemed quite interesting. How much room is there to customise your deck?
  • Virtual hats is an aesthetic thing. Virtual playing cards are pretty much like real ones. Would be nice if the game actually allowed you to trade them.
    Does the game allow you to trade them?
  • Nope. Because then there's an option not to buy! You can craft cards with dust that you aquire from disenchanting duplicates of cards you already own. But building up enough dust for the rarer cards takes a long old while.

Tiger the deck building is entirely up to you. There are class specific cards that only that class can use and a much larger selection of neutral ones. You can have a maximum of 2 of any card on your deck, apart from Legendaries.

I, like Rouj, mullered this in closed beta, spent a frightening amount of cash to boot. The game is great, but they need to balance it more, as the man said above, Mage and Priest decks are fairly easy to destroy with and the other classes can gave a horrible time dealing with them. (Oh ha I Warrior)

The last list of changes didnt give me much confidence really and I've dropped out ifcplayibg recently, I'll try and add you new folk this weekend. There's a phenomenal game here, just needs time.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Why is this good, Nexx? I trust your opinions on competitive games 'cos even though you're not hot when it comes to strategy you do talk a good game. Skimmed through that vid and it seemed quite interesting. How much room is there to customise your deck?

Because like all the truly great games it has a holy trinity at its foundation:

2r3h4qp.png

I guess the appeal of this to me is that the gameplay mechanics are quite mechanically simple on the surface but there's a lot of depth hidden underneath.  The simplicity is great because it means that a lot of the game is influenced by game theory and out thinking your opponent rather than being so mechanically complex that its impossible to predict what your opponent could do like in some card games.

I'd agree with some of the comments above that some of the meta has become incredible predictable.  There are obviously some deck archtypes that are better than others which for me limits the appeal of the full constructed mode (where you get to completely customize your deck).  Where the game comes into its own is in the Arena mode though.  You basically construct a deck of 30 cards by selecting from 1 of 3 semi-random cards 30 times.  As you can't predict the cards that will come up its becomes much more about making the best of the situation rather than constructing an uber optimised deck.  Keeps the games fresh and interesting imo.  Yes theres some randomness from game to game but over the long term you'll definitely see that good players consistently outperform poor ones due to a better understanding of the game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Flicking through some of the artwork, there's an image or two that comes straight from the Warcraft TCG they did a while back. One with actual cardboard cards, mind. I loved it, was much better than MtG (you could never get screwed for quests (lands) because any card could be played face down as a quest.) The problem was finding other people to play with. I'm not even sure if it still exists at this point.

I reckon this might satisfy the same itch, but then I'll probably end up bankrupt and with a kick ass collection of virtual cards. For the sake of my sanity and bank balance I should probably avoid this.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Guys you can play this and get packs of cards for free. This is what i did most of the time. You don't have to drop any money to get a good deck, money will just you there faster.

You get 10 gold every 3 wins against a human opponent, even in the unranked matches, every day you get a quest (usually something like win x times x class) gives between 40-60 gold normally. So in two days you can pretty easily get a free pack of cards as they cost 100 gold. If you grind a bit more you can start an arena run for 150 gold.

You can also build decent enough decks with the starter cards you earn by playing through the basic matches against the cpu with each class.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I can't seem to get going in this. I often end up with no cards on the table and then just get pounded.

I do like the idea though and will give it a good go. Shall we put battle.net numbers in the OP?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I highly recommend Trump's stream and archives on Twitch.tv, they really helped me and a load of other Mordor peeps up our game and improve the way we play. Super informative, and he explains a lot of stuff about basic strategies, meta-game, value and mana curves and stuff as he plays.

http://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc

I gave this a go this morning after about a month off, built a new Druid deck, went back into ranked and was immediately pleased to find the ranking had been reset so I got some pity wins against people who didn't know what they were doing.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    So I'm having a fair bit of fun with the standard Mage deck. Someone mentioned Priest but should I be avoiding some for any reason? Might disenchant the suff I got for specific decks to get some dust.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    What is this game! It's one in the freaking morning now.
  • Priest and mage right now are probably the most powerful classes. Probably the best decks for people to play while they get used to the game and learning how each of the classes fight as priest has the most control over the opponent and mages have the highest direct damage, so you can counter or avoid a lot of stuff that other players might throw at you if you get in a pinch.

If you have balls of steel and are a manly manly man then you should roll Warrior decks all day. Even though warrior is definitely the weakest class in pretty much every match apart from mages as although warriors have almost no board clearing stuff, mages tend not to throw out a lot of minions and rely on their spells for damage. Nothing is as satisfying as a decent win with the warrior deck, however you will usually end up seeing way more losses than wins, particularly as the current meta game seems to be herp derp rushdown bullshit, as most players have figured out, RNG has a pretty big effect on some matches and some decks, particularly late game decks that stall the opponent for as long as possible. Going full retard and swamping the board with loads of shitty shit is a pretty effective way of getting around this.

I tend to blow hot and cold with the game, I really like the overall mechanics and all the strategy, but I tend to play for a few days and then get pissed off at it and leave it for a few weeks.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, Priest was what I tried last night and had a few good runs with him. Going to try and get everyone up to at least 10 for that gold. Should I be saving my coins for arena runs? I've bought 2-3 packs with my winnings so far and not really sure what to do with all these rares.
  • Save it for arena, you get at leat one pack plus gold or dust regardless even if you lose all your games.

Arena is also good at forcing you to adapt to different decks and cards.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Okay, will do. Will find my battle.net ID for games.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    How do you get the 20 to play Molten Giant?
  • Works nicely in a warrior deck as most warriors opt to clear the board with their weapons and leave minions to go for the face, so you can pretty easily whittle down your health far enough to get it played in most matches.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Ah, I really should read shit! Saw it on a crafting guide!

Going to try my hand at Arena when I've got a few hundred so I've got some retries when I fail miserably!
  • I downloaded this last night, mainly because I miss Subba ;-)
  • Congrats guys, you all know someone that went 12 wins in the Arena.

i1bnz4.jpg
  • You're so dreamy.

Went to download this a few days ago, but found I couldn't remember my battle.net details and promptly gave up.
  • I bet I'd be amazing at it. Basically the same as top trumps, right?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My greater bog-rat beats your lesser bog-rat.

I had fun a few days ago practicing with Tempy till I unlocked all the basic decks. I like Shaman most even though totems are unreliable compared to the other class abilities. Windfury can fuck shit up.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yay, more people to lose against! I've actually been winning a fair amount in play mode. Almost enough for a second run at Arena now.

My battle.net ID is Subbax#2845.
‹ Previous123456718

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!