Civilization, create your own haves and have-nots
‹ Previous123456721
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    A few of us have been rocking Civ for all our gaming lives and recently some of us have got a hold of the latest DLC for Civ5.

As such there's quite a bit of talk about Civ. Code has said he's using mods, but I've no idea about using mods, I'm playing vanilla Civ though I do want something to better-balance the diplomacy mechanics if I am honest.

Anyway, here's my last game, Shoshone civ, large continents map, standard speed and prince difficulty.

I was angling for a culture victory.

They have this Mayan Calendar great person bonus, every 300 and summant years- so I got a Great Admiral first (You can only ever pick one of each for each Mayan year)

W43dPzR.jpg

And off he went to discover the other continent. At this point I've already started a religion so I am thinking awesome, culture victory for me.

Fast forward and the two dominant civs on my continent are mighty unhappy with my successes.

VhzDYDn.jpg

yB5vmPp.jpg

They don't like the guys on the other continent too much and Murica are eclipsing me as I have had to spend mucho casho reclaiming my city states and trying to prevent a war with either. Although China decide to have a pop.

iprTY88.jpg

And they fail- my cultural victory I have not written off but the distraction to ready troops does make a dint.

Elsewhere thing are peaceful however supposedly friendly Isabella has built a city in on one archipelago, off my southern coast and my neutral Pacha is amassing troops at my NNE border.

jELwsCE.jpg

I review, I want the culture vic but I'll have to consider the science one.

1XL8FWn.jpg

Then Alex and Pacha declares war against me and starts attacking Budapest! I have no choice! I take Machu and Budapest, who I swore to protect but I'd rather have the advantage and capture it myself.

6daXep1.jpg

At this point, Alex contacts me giving me grief, saying I went against my word to protect Budapest! I must annihilate Pacha as he has only two cities.

U75ADYE.jpg

Or rather had.

Focus now has wavered, I need money to finance my defences and I need to build this fucking spaceship!

hWq0yBj.jpg

Fucking hell, peace gets made this turn, but in hindsight a lot went down, Greece went after Wu too and so is dead. At least Isabella haven't started on me. Oh what's that, Washington has settled on the island next to Isabella. Messing me! Not to mention he's got those three cities on the north of our continent and on my border now Pacha is dead.

0UQwhK8.jpg

Relations with Greece have improved, but the inevitable happened. I held back completing the Spaceship because I really wanted that culture victory. Above is 2050- I would've been declared the winner. However I don't play with the time victory. Just the others, the culture victory I wouldn't have made-

6Fn1EOg.jpg

I'm fucking angry at Washington most of all. And so I make peace with Isabella and rid mine and Alex's continent of the American scum.

3oleknu.jpg

Ignoring peace with Washington I go after the cunt.

Alex seems a bit cagey though.

05OAT9r.jpg

Anyway I annihilate the american capital and just as I am a few percent from getting the cultural victory Washington has just managed to build the cockpit for the spaceship, so I send mine up and win the game and rage quit that mother fucker after 20hours.

So yeah.

edit: cleanup n 2nd2lstscrnsht
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    wat
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This game is dead good, play it. Recommend us some mods. Tell us about your games.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Can I play it whilst inebriated?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sounds like the perfect for some MP madness.
  • I shall learn this game drunk then. Starting tonight.
  • You really should get the infoaddict mod. It gives you huge numbers of stats, graphs and diagrams for just about everything, including diplomacy, and all of them can be viewed at any time. I'd even call it essential. It can be very frustrating when a civ makes contact and has a request, and yet you're unable to assess their diplomatic ties before making a decision in vanilla civ. Infoaddict fixes this.

I always play on the Earth map with 20 civs, 10 city states and realistic starting positions + resource placement. It makes role play that little bit more enjoyable. 

So far i've also always started as England the Ultima-Cunt, and thoroughly enjoy asserting my faux-patriotism and colonial tendencies. 

Latest game, which i won with just a few turns left, is still in progress. Last night i nuked a lot of people, then demanded their uranium as part of a peace deal (i now have about 70% of global reserves), stockpiled an assortment of nuclear weaponry, and am now rushing through legislation to stop anyone else building nukes, which would leave me at huge advantage.

My next playthrough will have to be on king difficulty having just won on prince. That's gonna be a bitch.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Aye I am hitting up king on my next game.

That mod seems essential, yep.

edit: I've still got a steam key for Civ5 (no DLC tho), if anyone wants it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    How do you get mods actually? Is it through the steam workshop jobby?
  • Along with Gears, my greatest multiplayer gaming experience to date was playing Civ4 with 4 flatmates while at uni. Our game lasted about 3 months, and that was playing for a couple hours on average each evening. Absolutely phenomenal.

What i really enjoyed was the way all our attitudes changed as the game progressed. We'd started out with the intention of us 4 pooling our resources and sharing world domination. It would be ultimate cooperation. But after time, it became apparent that two of us (myself included) were much, much better at the game than the other two flatmates. I was happy for them to ride on our coat-tails for a while, but as they kept squandering valuable resources and leaving key cities undefended (which consequently provoked Chinese invasion) resentment started to blossom. It wasn't long before our plans to share all wealth and cities evenly were left in ruins, not just by the fact some players were freeloading on others' scientific progress while using their own resources to strengthen their military, but at one point i discovered my flatmate had been secretly spying on me. It was realpolitik from that point onwards.
  • beano wrote:
    How do you get mods actually? Is it through the steam workshop jobby?

Yea. Get the world map one too. I think it's called 'play the world extended' or something.

There's also one which tells you specifically what a civ is pissed off with you about, which can be useful as at times i've wondered what's provoked their sudden change in attitude.

I'd be weary of loading more than those 2 or 3. I had to start one game again maybe 10 hours in after some texture pack thing i downloaded had a meltdown.
  • I had a Civ game going at uni as well, it's a wonder I ever went when I had that and a networked Football Manager going too.
  • Watch out for Gandhi in Civ5. In one game i played he randomly decided to launch nuclear strikes on almost every remaining civ simultaneously. It was so random. He seems even more mental than Montezuma was Civ4. 

That said, i have fond memories of Monty from the last game; especially when he'd randomly launch 1000 strong bow and arrow men at one of my most fortified cities during the industrial era. One particular occasion stands out in my mind. It's Civ4 and i've just launched a major offensive on the Americas, capturing all bar 1 city; some useless Aztec outpost in Alaska with a single unit of population and no military. Not wanting to remove Monty from the game entirely, and with huge numbers of units at his final city's border, i ask what terms he'd consider for a peace agreement, fully expecting him to capitulate and offer up his remaining resources. But no. He wants 10 of my major European cities, all of South America, 9,000 gold and all my uranium. lol
  • Apparently there was a glitch in old civ that made gandhi nuke happy so they kept that characteristic in later games for a laugh.
  • i am disappointed at the lack of comical-city-renaming going on in the opening post.  please rectify this or I'll speak to Sid and have him ban you from playing his game.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don't understand how this isn't everyone's favourite game.
  • It is rather wonderful, I'm going to have to start documenting stuff I reckon. Can't promise I'll name cities though, I'm not good at coming up with names. I do occasionaly name bad-ass troops and ships though.
  • I always name mine accurately by geographical position. Have done since early Civ4 days. As such i'm now freakishly good at naming cities around the world.
  • You should give it a go with the Brave New World expansion. Play on the Earth map. It's amazing. I can imagine you'd get into it.
  • Ah, i played 1, 4 and 5. If you're comp's up to this one you should definitely get it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Can someone make mine work again, the shit!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    1, 2 and 3 for me. Oh and Alpha Centauri. I think I spent a good part of the nineties playing Civ and very little else. I actually played a game on 4 last summer. It's not as good as 3.
    Get schwifty.
  • Alpha Centauri and Colonization stole a big chunk of my life.

I regret nothing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can you rewind to take historic screenies, or do you have to take them as you go?

I'm mid MP with three mates. But we were doing it realtime as async seems difficult. Vanilla though as I'm the only one with BNW (which I still haven't played...) and that means the others can't play with it enabled, sadly.
  • i've only played 1 and 2, this looks far to advanced.. is it accessible?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • just reordered civ rev for the ds. Had it on my R4 but I loved it. Will be playing that in quiet moments. Not that I dont have enough to play on my 3ds.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Civ Rev is pants.
    Get schwifty.
  • It's fine. It's not the full Civ experience but it's not trying to be. I was playing it last night as it happens.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Civ Rev is pants.

on DS it was awesome
  • mk64 wrote:
    i've only played 1 and 2, this looks far to advanced.. is it accessible?

Yeah it's pretty easy to get started in this I reckon, the interface is nice, and the advisors will help with the new stuff.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Civ Rev is pants.
    on DS it was awesome
    WorKid wrote:
    It's fine. It's not the full Civ experience but it's not trying to be. I was playing it last night as it happens.

It convinced me not to buy it for console but it was still a good craic, though lacking.
‹ Previous123456721

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!