Vinyl figures/toys (customs and collections)
‹ Previous123456
  • So, spend a lot of time reading about peoples amazing hobbies/creative work on here, and wanted to share my own recent past time!

Have always collected vinyl figures and toys in general, usually based on anime/films/games etc, had a few dunnys and qees but not a lot. Over the last 2 years was working near Kidrobot (sniff) and Forbidden Planet, so would pick up a blind box every now and then. Last year, I purchased some blank dudeboxs when i spotted them in Forbidden Planet thinking it'd be a fun evening, and bought some cheapo acrylic pens. Well, now I have about 13 custom 3" dudeboxs, one 7" Dude and 2 BIY Lunartiks. I'm also starting to practise moulding them a bit, with the intention to get into sculpting so I can build my own personal toy line based on some random characters I draw. 

Happy to post pictures, but wanted to check if this was anything anyone else had remotely any interest in first.

Anyone ever get into customising? Creating they're own designs? Or even just collecting? That new Dunny by Otto Bjornik, 'Mayari', looks amazing.
  • Paging hylian elf, who buys everything...
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I bought some Medicom Daft Punk figures years ago, holding on to them to throw at eBay only.

I think this stuff is basically wack as all fuck.
  • Always interested to see somebody's handiwork. Get the picks up.
  • Yeah, common opinion. There's also an influx of licensed stuff because I guess it sells better than the individual designers stuff. I try to steer clear, but the new Megaman figures might persuade me otherwise...

What really turned me around was the custom stuff, where some people just create the most amazing characters. It's also nice when these designs get used in a new figure line, but it's not always going to be the case.

E.g:
     73710E12.jpgKinuyo-1.jpg
  • Obviously not in the same league as those, but here's my first lot:

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg
  • Nice.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paging hylian elf, who buys everything...

Oi, what?!

I have a few items but not many. I do like figurines but it's not a hobby. Usually I buy stuff that's related to a favourite game (series) whether it's an artbook, guidebook, soundtrack, or figurine. Contrary to popular belief, I don't actually have that much tat. Got rid of a lot of stuff over the past year or two. Kids take up too much space.

Had Twilight Princess figure sets, sold em. 
    Had SotC figurines, sold em. 
    Still have Wind Waker gashapon set. Apparently worth a bit now. (Not too much, but more than I paid.)
    Have a Gouken street fighter figure. 
    Have a Mario PVC figure. 
    And ones that came with games, like recent Tales of Symphonia boxset.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've been more into scale polystone statues. But that's a very expensive and space-hogging hobby. I gave up a long time ago and have sold almost all of them (for a tidy profit). 

I still have 1/4 scale Shin Akuma, Cloud, and Gabranth. Have a buyer for the first, need to sell the other two. 

I've got a non-scale SotC statue of first colossus. That's staying.
  • Btw, nice work bean. How much stuff do you have?!
  • I love polystone statues, but have never plucked up the courage to actually buy one. Even though they usually sell for quite a bit after, the upfront fee has always scared me off. I also have my small SOTC wander figure. he's going NOWHERE.

I have a fair bit of... tat I guess. A lot has gone into storage, and thinking hard about selling a lot of it (along with some of my more expensive records) as I recently found we are hopefully expecting our first child (still early days). I have quite a bit on my desk in my office at work as well, not loads though.

IMG_1948.jpg

(That is also my wife's care bear).
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I have a fair bit of... tat I guess.

The technical term is "epic awesome collection of toys", not "tat".

I'm a big Kid Robot fan myself, I'll post pics of my toys when I get home (my collection isn't nearly as big as yours, though) and the handful of customs I've done.

Talking of customs, yours are epic. Up for doing commissions?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Awesome shelf of fun stuff there!  And congrats on expecting your first kid.  You'll find that quite a bit more fulfilling than stuff sitting on shelves no doubt :)

Still nice to keep a bit of stuff from when you're younger though so try not to sell it all.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • @Blue swirl: Please do! Would love to see your customs especially.

Thanks, happy to do something for you, don't think I could charge for it at this stage. Just covering the cost of the figure/postage would be plenty tbh. I have also yet to varnish anything so the acrylic starts to wear off quick, might have to pop into LGC next week about that.

Was thinking of sending the naked Danny Devito to Rob Mcelhenney. He's definitely my fave of the bunch.
  • Awesome shelf of fun stuff there!  And congrats on expecting your first kid.  You'll find that quite a bit more fulfilling than stuff sitting on shelves no doubt :) Still nice to keep a bit of stuff from when you're younger though so try not to sell it all.

Cheers! Yeah, great/scary times ahead. I spent my childhood digging through records/ posters/ comics/ toys/ arthouse films that belonged to my dad, so wouldn't feel right getting rid of it all.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I had an infatuation with vinyl figures for a while, and still have plans to create my own little series.  I liked the MuttPop stuff (though their site seems to be awol, maybe they're defunct) and the coarselife PAWS and JAWS were purty cool.  There were others but they escape me.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    @Blue swirl: Please do! Would love to see your customs especially. Thanks, happy to do something for you, don't think I could charge for it at this stage. Just covering the cost of the figure/postage would be plenty tbh.

I'll see if I can get hold of a blank Kidrobot Munny, and then we can work out posting it. Feel free to do whatever you want with it, I quite like the look of the gubbins you've done already.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I have loads of this stuff, sitting in a display unit, I shudder to think how much I spent on it, but it does bring a smile to the face every time I look at them.
    I also bought loads of Killer Cat 10" Quee (plain-ish black cat Quee with red clip-on claws iirc) and some smaller Steven House hand drawn vinyl figures years back to sell on ebay then never got around to it. I think I bought the designers lot so they are pretty unique if anyones interested.
    I have to dig them out of a box somewhere.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    @Blue swirl: Please do! Would love to see your customs especially. Thanks, happy to do something for you, don't think I could charge for it at this stage. Just covering the cost of the figure/postage would be plenty tbh.
    I'll see if I can get hold of a blank Kidrobot Munny, and then we can work out posting it. Feel free to do whatever you want with it, I quite like the look of the gubbins you've done already.

I've just found a blank Dudebox I got for £2, happy to just use that and send it through office post, so dont worry about paying anything. Anything in particular?
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I have loads of this stuff, sitting in a display unit, I shudder to think how much I spent on it, but it does bring a smile to the face every time I look at them. I also bought loads of Killer Cat 10" Quee (plain-ish black cat Quee with red clip-on claws iirc) and some smaller Steven House hand drawn vinyl figures years back to sell on ebay then never got around to it. I think I bought the designers lot so they are pretty unique if anyones interested. I have to dig them out of a box somewhere.

Would love to see pictures. Killer cat stuff always looked really cool but they sort of disappeared last year.
  • I collect Transformers (not so much now, though) and have done for 30 years.

There's some nice custom pieces around, but I've not the talent to make any myself.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Figures have never done it for me I have to say - even as a kid. However I got a little cat figure with the Japanese Gamecube version of Castle Shikigami 2 and I quite like "him".

box2.jpg

For some reason, this sticks in my memory - I had this odd little Matchbox car as a kid and I could be tempted to reacquire this:

flyingbug.jpg

That is all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Oh yeah, and I have this, 1 of 1500:

PHAZON.jpg

Not vinyl obv. but I figure it still counts.  One went for $1100 on eBay last year so I think I'll hang on to it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • There is beauty in this thread.

"To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palms of your hand and eternity in an hour."
  • Okay I wouldn't mind having a:

Marchetti-S21-Sea-Plane-Porco-Rosso-PA-1.jpg
  • Or the moonrocket from Tintin.
  • Holy crap that's awesome. Wish it had him in it, though. I also remember when that samus statue came out.

So much want going on here.
  • I like Marina Bychkova's porcelain dolls, although not enough to spend thousands on one. NSFW, kinda:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Nightmare fuel.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Those legs have cat eyes. Fuckin terrifying.
  • I'd make creepy Jan Švankmajer-esque stop-motion animation with them.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!