HD Re-Make/ Re-Boot: Game Theory
‹ Previous1234

• So, above vid got me thinking.
    Which classic games deserve a HD Remake treatment?
    Is it a good idea or just a waste of money as we've already seen it all?

Is there a good way and a bad way to go about it (alterations/no alterations).

Discuss!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It's a good way to reach a new audience, and conversions to handhelds can be a revelation, but mainly it's a bit pointless. They look exactly like the old games did through my rose-tinted specs anyway.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    IMO a lot of HD releases highlight how strong the art direction was in older games. Especially from Japan generally. Panzer Dragoon HD remakes please. Especially Saga because I ain't paying £80+ quid for that on Ebay. (I will but there's a few more years till I cave)

Gameplay additions are a funny thing. I think the MGS2 gameplay in Twin Snakes harms the game some since the environments weren't built for them and it makes the game that much easier. Plus it's part of the character. Unless it's a truly shit mechanic that needs gutting.
  • I'd generally prefer fresh ideas over remakes, not least because most old games are rubbish. That said, i reckon Blastcorps' mechanics would still stand up well today. And maybe Pilotwings
  • Road Rash 3DO! Pleeeeeeeease.
  • The best remake Ive played would be the Wii edition of RE4. Pointer shooting dynamite sticks out of ganados hands was great fun.

I think a remake should play to the new system's strengths. So the kinds of things I'd like to see in remakes now would either use the gamepad screen or the ps touchpad, or something co-operative with a greater degree of interaction than demons souls or journey.

I might have to think about what games at all this would work with.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • And maybe Pilotwings

Get it in 60 fps HD using your sexy PC and an emulator. The textures are a bit meh but the art style stands up pretty well. I still play 64 every now and again.
  • Yep, pointy RE4 on Wii was very good, although maybe a bit too easy.
  • Quite like HD remakes. Picked up FFX the other day and it's great. As my PS3 isn't backwards compatible, I'd have to source a PS2 and copy of the game if I wanted to play it again, wheras this negates that. Plus, it was only £25 for both FFX and X-2 HD on the one disc, which I think is a good price. If they were trying to charge £39.99 then it would be a different matter.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Another way to do it is to fix problems in design. Such as the iron boots in Ocarina of Time 3D.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • What was that Vela?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • In the water temple of Ocarina of Time you need iron boots to sink to lower levels. Apparently it was really clunky to go into menus and equip/unequip it in the original. Made the temple a lot longer and more tedious than it needed to be.

The 3DS menu lets you toggle them on and off via the touchscreen. Take one second, no more.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    There are 3 games I'd like to see remade, SWAT could be awesome on current gen likewise as could Full Spectrum Warrior. My third choice would be an XBLA (XB1) remake of Stunt Car Racer, customisable tracks, head-to-head all coupled together with good physics would make it a brilliant timewaster.
  • I'd like Driver and Waverace 64. The sequels were pants.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The last Driver game was a good one?
  • Panzer Dragoon
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Panzer Dragoon

Lost source code for that one didnt they?

Also, I'd like to see a remake of MDK. You dont see experimental FPS/3rd person stuff anymore.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    They lost the source for Saga. Which sucks as it's meant to be one of the best RPGs from that gen.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    @Skerret has a copy I think. He's probably saving it as a bargaining chip to emigrate when global warming turns Australia into Lost Izalith.
  • That vid's rather appealing to me.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    @Skerret has a copy I think. He's probably saving it as a bargaining chip to emigrate when global warming turns Australia into Lost Izalith.
    That and my Neo Geo will buy me a ticket out of this oversized oven.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I like HD remakes, REZ HD in particular was wonderful.

That said it often disappoints too, see the abysmal NiGHTS HD.

I would love console HD versions of Halo 3 and Half Life. Boring I know.

• I would love to see Eternal Champions Challenge from the Dark Side done in HD (ala Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix) but I doubt anyone else would be interested.

Road Rash 3DO is a great call though.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Give me 1080 (snowboarding not resolution) with online multiplayer.

I would also welcome a new Road Rash.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Thats still my fav Road Rash game, blew my mind when I first saw that on 3DO.

I got it on PSone, still good fun.

1080 would be another good one, FZero X would also be welcomed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Stunt Car Racer is a shout, although maybe it'd be better suited to VR. 

Also, 1080 is a shout. So atmospheric with the music turned off.
  • Metroid Prime please.
  • Rez and Sega Rally (if you count the HD efforts) worked for me, Halo CE was interesting, but didn't re-ignite my love of the original. It's a mixed bag and I suppose it would be better if we didn't need faithful recreations of old games, but they do fill the release schedule gaps these days.

If I had a choice, remake of PGR2, same game, but shinier.
  • Oh and Rallisport Challenge 2 (or just a new one), that game was amaze.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Gran Turismo with online multiplayer. The only thing I'd change ('sides grapx) would be its lateral bobble around corners. Mostly an animation problem, it doesn't really affect any handling properties.

(It was because the cars couldn't flip, so they had to reset each time they hit a certain height. Slowing down the rate of bounce too much would sometimes deprive control out of corners, but I'm sure there's a halfway house.)

Road Rash Jailbreak was five minutes of fun.
  • My general stance is fuck remakes* apart from these two or three games that I really believe needed to be on better hardware.

Problem is, everyone's got a couple of games that they think deserves a remake. Added together, it's every game that didn't totally suck and even a few that did.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!