Current Affairs
  • Aus$423 Mil security contracts to companies with offshore island addresses to guard the camps on manus and Nauru.

Gov doing tricks to try and keep them out of foi rules. Classy.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Think I posted part of this via twitter, but this does a good job of helping make Twitter threads more easily readable. Kon K laying the smack down on BS our Gov is pedalling about #medivac bill.

https://threader.app/thread/1097311893780258817

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • So, Shemima begum, Isis child bride. She went of her own accord. She seems to take the view that the lesson from Isis is that the basic idea was fine, but it was badly implemented. I have seen this before in Muslamic thinking: if something doesn't work, it's because of insufficient belief in and/or implementation of theist beliefs. Writ large it has been used to explain the decline the fall of the Muslim empire /nations (it's not that the Western countries found ways to reach the east without relying on the middle East trade routes, or that a commitment to civic and scientific principles is a superior philosophy, no siree Bob)

I know she was a child, I know she lost two babies. I know she was probably re-educated there. But on balance, she can stay fucked off.

Anyone disagree?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So, Shemima begum, Isis child bride. She went of her own accord. She seems to take the view that the lesson from Isis is that the basic idea was fine, but it was badly implemented. I have seen this before in Muslamic thinking: if something doesn't work, it's because of insufficient belief in and/or implementation of theist beliefs. Writ large it has been used to explain the decline the fall of the Muslim empire /nations (it's not that the Western countries found ways to reach the east without relying on the middle East trade routes, or that a commitment to civic and scientific principles is a superior philosophy, no siree Bob)

I know she was a child, I know she lost two babies. I know she was probably re-educated there. But on balance, she can stay fucked off.

Anyone disagree?

Not me. One comment she made was, when asked about the enslavement and rape of the yazidi women, she claimed it was OK because the Shia in Iraq were doing it to.
  • I don't get how the UK are stripping her of her citizenship unless she is dual nationality which I don't think she is?

By which I mean she should totes be brought back here and put through the justice system, she's our trashpile really, why are we dumping her on another country for them to sort out? (Even though we can't because you can't make people citizens of no country, sop idk what the fuck this is other than a convenient distraction from Brekko for Mayo, the fucking cunto)
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'll also put out there that I know very, very little about the situation and any statements she's made about the whole thing, so... yeah. Very much not informed.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There was a decent legal blog about her case which I read yesterday which I can’t for the life of me track down now, but the gist of it was that it is probably illegal under international law to make her stateless as this would be doing. It wasn’t quite as good as the video floating around Twitter yesterday from the British Syrian teen pouring scorn on her, but pretty good anyway.

But yeah, I’m generally of the opinion that she’s our mess and we should probably deal with her.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    As gonz has said, she was very young, and has obviously suffered while she's been over there, but she has absolutely no remorse, compassion or empathy for the victims of ISIS. She also still supports the ISIS ideology, she only wants to come back because its a bit shit over there now and she realises the NHS is probably quite a good thing, and her kid might benifit from that.
  • I disagree. She was radicalised as a child, and been in the company of the same nutters ever since. We don't know who is monitoring her statements/feeding her what to say.

It's also illegal to leave a person stateless. Do we really want our Government acting in contravention of international law, then going to other countries and saying they are in contravention of international law?

She should be brought back to the UK, dealt with by the justice system and given the help she needs.
  • The reason for the prohibition on statelessness, much like the policy underlying pretty much all of international refugee laws, is avoiding post war injustice. The idea is that the UK could not make begun stateless, making her a citizen of nowhere.

But no German Jews went off to fight in the middle East before WW2. This one CHOSE to abandon her country and to join in making a new, murderous, barbarous one. She gave comfort to a man who got up every day to take part in organised genocide. She was hoping to raise more soldiers of God.

Fuck her
  • She should be brought back to the UK, dealt with by the justice system and given the help she needs.
    I agree with this. I agree that she was a child when she went and that should be taken into account.

However, having just watched an interview with her, the lack of remorse is saddening and worrying.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    She should be brought back to the UK, dealt with by the justice system and given the help she needs.
    I agree with this. I agree that she was a child when she went and that should be taken into account.

However, having just watched an interview with her, the lack of remorse is saddening and worrying.

That's the key issue for me. I don't think there is the possibility to deradicalise her, so what do we do with her?

• She is fucked for life, lost cause. I'd rather not have her here spreading heroic tales of Isis. Or maybe she can reflect a bit and deradicalise herself, then we'll see.
  • That's the key issue for me. I don't think there is the possibility to deradicalise her, so what do we do with her?

That's not something we can determine remotely though. She needs to be here, assessed without outside influences.
  • If she can't be deradicalised then I guess after her initial stint inside for terrorism she will end up back inside repeatedly for incitement to commit acts of terrorism or whatever the appropriate charge is.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I've tried to be as considered as I possibly can be for fear of Daily Mailing it.

I've considered her age when she left and the fact she wouldn't have been able to leave even if she wanted to.

I've considered how we, as a nation should be better than ISIS and how redemption and forgiveness are important things in a modern society like ours.

I still cant see how we can take her back. Her total lack of remorse is staggering. The fact she can't even lie about it to try and get back in, she cant even pretend to be remorseful beyond how she fucked her own life up.
    In turn I feel that almost proves she isn't having words put in her mouth. If ISIS still had control over her they would be more effectively using her as a double agent.

She is far more dangerous than she knows, that is the big problem. I dont think for a second she is going to come here and cause physical harm herself but she has potential to preach to the vulnerable like she was, to the jaded, to those already on that path and she doesn't even realise it. Even when talking of being remorseful she is promoting ISIS.

Let's also consider what will happen if she steps foot in mainland Britian. I dont like the idea of giving in to bullies but imagine the backlash from the far right. Innocent Muslims will be hurt, mark my words.

The solution. I dont know. If it is legally found we have to take her back she will have to remain in isolation, cant risk her spreading ISIS cancer, which makes rehabilitation and reintegration largely impossible.

The obvious thing to me would extradition to Syria for her crimes there. Problem is it could be years before an internationally recognised government is established there. To hand her to Assad would be to recognise Assad, not sure on our stance there.
    Keeping her in a military compound in the mean time smells a bit Guantanamo, however she only has to be allowed back onto British soil, not necessarily mainland Britian.
  • Roujin wrote:
    If she can't be deradicalised then I guess after her initial stint inside for terrorism she will end up back inside repeatedly for incitement to commit acts of terrorism or whatever the appropriate charge is.

More grist to the mill or the reactionary racists like Tommy Robinson. And it's muggins here who will be humanely repatriated behind her bullshit.

Do you want to repatriate ozno Rouj? Is that what you want?
    Spoiler:

• The truth is people like her are a potential danger regardless of whether we take them back in. If we take them back in we risk the danger of them spreading IS ideology to a new generation of youths. Either that or we need to incarcerate/deradicalise them for however long it takes

If we leave them behind there's also a chance they'll radicalise a new generation of youth locally. IS may very well manifest itself again 10-20 years later in the region.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s reporting coming out that she has dual nationality with Bangladesh, although she’s denied having a Bangladeshi passport.

If this is true, I’m not sure it’s much better that she end up there.
  • I think it’s a very tricky situation because even if she came back it might be difficult to actually put her in jail (where she belongs in my view). I feel like the alternative is actually pretty horrific and I think there are reasonable comparisons re:sexual grooming in which we wouldn’t leave a person purely to some limbo existence even if they themselves eventually committed remorseless and horrific crimes.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Pretty sure the decision to revoke her citizenship is illegal.
    But I can appreciate why the authorities are weary.

What's the real problem here?

Has she not committed a crime (treason)?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • As Yoss pointed out. It seems through her parents she has a legit claim in Bangladesh. A claim seems to be enough for the UK to revoke citizenship in this case.

If you are asking what the problem is with her coming back see my post above.

As for her crime. Various acts of cohorting with terrorists, would be a piece of piss to convict her, she has stitched herself up in interviews, on camera, with UK journos.

She may even be considered a war criminal due to her affiliation.
    The public and internationally aired beheadings by ISIS were aired and well publicised before she left the UK.
    I dont think grooming defences will hold much water, to have seen the unavoidable media coverage of Alan Henning being beheaded just a few months before hand and then still going out there. Nope.

If this was a man we wouldn't even be discussing it.

Edit: I am more than happy, in fact would very much prefer her newborn to be handed to her family here.
  • We would if it was a white man.
  • We would if it was a white man.

I disagree. A rich white boy, now that would be cause for an exception.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Interesting point on the Begum case I just saw raised on Sky news via a Twitter clip: the international laws that say that Begum can return home (assuring she doesn’t have dual nationality) are the same laws that allow us to deport foreign nationals from the U.K. if they’re considered a threat. If we can refuse Begum’s return, why shouldn’t other countries refuse the return of people in the U.K. that have committed crimes here?
  • Don't worry about that Yoss, she's someone else's problem now, woo!
  • The UK has already exported more than enough people around the world. Tough titties; Begum is the UK's problem/burden.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!