Current Affairs
  • Brooks wrote:
    Also the best way to keep 'dealers' off the streets is undermine their monopolies on sale of their produce. This is how Tescos pwned Albert Arkwright and Granville or something.

heh
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Really tired of cunts like Moody's and Standard & Poor's, and their self fulfilling analyses of worth.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Ridiculous isn't it.

Is one of Spain's biggest banks really called Bankia? Next you'll be telling me they say "scorchio!" during the weather.

Still, what a fucking awesome headquarters

412px-Puerta_de_Europa_I_%28Madrid%29_01.jpg

Also, is their logo a badger?
  • They'll have spent the past few weeks hedging their own shit against Spanish banks for defo.
  • You can't decriminalise and government-regulate the sale of hard drugs. That way madness lies. The only way to keep dealers off the streets and fight the war on drugs - albeit a never-ending war - is to continue to hunt them down and prosecute them. Speeding up the process of mobile phone data retrieval by the authorities could be a huge step forwards in this respect. There would, as stipulated, have to be sufficient controls on when such powers could be used by the police, so I doubt you would have anything to worry about, cockbeard. The 'coppers are bent' argument isn't justification for limiting their potential to carry out a prompt and effective investigation of a crime where they believe that other people may be involved and that a suspect's mobile phone may have been used to communicate with said people e.g.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, it's called Bankia and the logo is in fact a bear, as the bear is the symbol of Madrid. It was Caja Madrid but then it became a conglomerate of various savings banks and they changed the name. My money is in there and now some cunting ratings agency is deciding that I may lose it.

Unfortunately there's no word even vaguely similar to scorchio in Spanish.
  • Drug Cartels are not particularly nice people shock!
    you couldn't make this shit up!

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There would, as stipulated, have to be sufficient controls on when such powers could be used by the police, so I doubt you would have anything to worry about, cockbeard.
    According to that article, there's about the same amount of safeguarding as there is in stop and search i.e. a reasonable suspicion. Which pretty much amounts to they can do it if they feel like it. 

Seeing as they have to bring someone into the station to do it at the moment, I can't see it being too bad. They'll only bother with the paperwork that involves if the person genuinely deserves it, or you act like enough of a prick to piss them off (most of the time). 

But if they get it on a mobile terminal then they'll use it left, right and centre just as a matter of course. 

The rest of your post seems to advocate never-ending escalation ahead of legislative reform which is stoopids.
  • The war on drugs in Mexico only seems to have made things worse, and the government isn't even really winning so far. Legalisation could only make things better there.
  • The main issue is that they'll keep everything they get whether someone is charged or not, which is dodgy as fuck.
  • You can't decriminalise and government-regulate the sale of hard drugs.

Yeah you can.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    They already have if your definition of hard drugs includes the pharmaceuticals industry (who 'invented' heroin and cocaine).

Assuming we're talking about illegal drugs, then you could in theory regulate supply, but unless it's a free for all (which would be too unpopular to clear legislation) then you'd still have an illegal supply problem, just as you do now with legal drugs.
  • True. Question is really if the illegal supply problems go down as a result of reform.

I wish I knew more about the trade in smuggled fags.
  • Which reminds me, do we know what the Governmentally Decreed Bland Packaging for ciggies is likely to look like yet? I'm hoping it riffs on Repo Man.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The 'system' we have now is probably the best. Though I'm not keen on the amount of dead rock stars there are as a result.

Still genuinely miss Layne Staley, as sad as that may seem.
  • Like I said, if you try to decriminalise illegal drugs, madness will ensue.
  • How are you defining madness in this instance?
  • Holland and Portugal.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Both of which are very civilised countries.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The only way to keep dealers off the streets and fight the war on drugs - albeit a never-ending war - is to continue to hunt them down and prosecute them. Speeding up the process of mobile phone data retrieval by the authorities could be a huge step forwards in this respect.

Have you watched The Wire? If you have, you weren't paying attention.

Second to this, the phone device is to prevent network traffic when a phone is turned on for forensic examination. Examination takes ages. The APCO guidelines state network activity should not take place as this compromises the evidence. There are other factors also.

I have placed a copy of the guidelines here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2686243/ACPO_guidelines_computer_evidence.pdf should anyone want to access them.

You should note that many coppers don't adhere to the 4 principles of computer evidence. Also bobbies on the street aren't trained concerning these principles unless they have worked in the digital crimes unit.

This isn't going to make much of a change to anything. If a bobby wants to read your phonebook he can but to take an image of your phone data he's going to need to do it with lab equipment. The equipment they have here is simply to ensure they can do more with evidence from phones, now they are usually all smart they need to prevent changes network activity could cause to the evidence.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Legalised and state sold hard drugs. The financial rescue package the EU has been waiting for.
  • Guys we need to be very careful citing the fucking Wire as much beyond, y'know, being a cop drama.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The message is- take a drug dealer, baron or otherwise out and he gets replaced. Arresting anyone on the street or in the supply chain isn't going to do anything.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • @brooks
    Hastily-assembled thoughts on the subject (v busy right now)
    ...I don't believe it will do anything to stop those who are currently selling drugs illegally from continuing to do so, so it falls at the first hurdle.
    Also, you will have a government who, by regulating the legal sale of class A substances, is effectively condoning their use (which is an indefensible position I think), despite the fact that they are extremely dangerous mind-altering substances that can and will cause people to behave otherwise in accordance with acceptable societal norms. Whilst there are significant problems associated with alcohol abuse, the societal problems that we already have from illegal substance abuse are far more acute, though currently less prevalent.

That's only the tip of the iceberg though - whatever direction you look in, there's a minefield of potential clusterfucks associated with making stuff like this legal.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Your first point is very shaky. Why would people continue selling drugs illegally after they were legalised, apart from a small number of them? People didn't continue selling alcohol illegally after the end of prohibition in the states. There was no point.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Drugs won't be made legal because then you'll grow what you want at home from first generation seeds, (which you may or may not have in advance) and keep a stack of second generation seeds.

Where's the tax in that?

Booyah.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well, they did, and do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_county

Never seen Smokey and the Bandit ffs?

@Ermintrude
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can't grow acid, mdma, speed, etc from seeds.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Well, they did, and do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_county Never seen Smokey and the Bandit ffs?

Yeah but they're twats, to be fair. Plus, they never really ended prohibition so...
  • @brooks Hastily-assembled thoughts on the subject (v busy right now) ...I don't believe it will do anything to stop those who are currently selling drugs illegally from continuing to do so, so it falls at the first hurdle. 
    Would this phone thing stop people selling drugs illegally? Nope. And for my money, it would. Although fags and booze have a black market, its dwarfed by the legit market. 
    Also, you will have a government who, by regulating the legal sale of class A substances, is effectively condoning their use (which is an indefensible position I think), despite the fact that they are extremely dangerous mind-altering substances that can and will cause people to behave otherwise in accordance with acceptable societal norms.
    Govt. makes money from speeding, sale of stolen goods etc. They also make money from booze and fags while at the same time spending money to 'warn people of the dangers.' 
    Whilst there are significant problems associated with alcohol abuse, the societal problems that we already have from illegal substance abuse are far more acute, though currently less prevalent.
    Part of the problem is due to their being pushed underground. And you'd need stats here for something as contentious as saying drug problems are worse / would be worse than the problems you get with alcohol. I've never had someone start on me because they were stoned. 

Btw decriminalisation is not the same as making something legal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!