Current Affairs
  • legaldinho wrote:
    But no, Islam is a death cult innit.

But how else will the government terrify the population into submission if not by describing Islam as an existential threat to western life?

They won't be able to control us all if we're not fearful and submissive. A few vulnerable people with mental health issues just won't cut it I'm afraid.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yeah, Radio 4 this morning was interesting.  Suddenly they were adopting the rhetoric that they should adopt with all these things.  Labouring the point that this guy was probably just acting alone, suggesting that we need to be careful about how we discuss such acts for fear of inspiring others etc etc.  Which is all stuff I agree with, it's just depressing that it only becomes something they explicitly discuss when it's a white guy doing the murdering.

(They put much of the above to Sadiq Khan who did a reasonable job of pointing out that every one of those comments could apply to most of the terrorist incidents we've had of late.)

I noticed that the Police statement made a point of thanking those who apprehended the guy in question for their "considerable restraint".  Which is an understatement.
  • Sad times we live in.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • What the fuck is happening in this country?
  • Decades of crap all coming to the boil.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Yeah, Radio 4 this morning was interesting.  Suddenly they were adopting the rhetoric that they should adopt with all these things.  Labouring the point that this guy was probably just acting alone, ...
    Reports I saw was that 3 guys were in the van, wasn't it?
    2 ran off after, but the locals managed to grab and pin the 3rd til the police arrived.

Or has it been confirmed as a single attacker now?

PS - and, yes, grab and pin and show "considerable restraint" by not kicking his fucking head in.
  • djchump wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Yeah, Radio 4 this morning was interesting.  Suddenly they were adopting the rhetoric that they should adopt with all these things.  Labouring the point that this guy was probably just acting alone, ...
    Reports I saw was that 3 guys were in the van, wasn't it?
    2 ran off after, but the locals managed to grab and pin the 3rd til the police arrived.

Or has it been confirmed as a single attacker now?

PS - and, yes, grab and pin and show "considerable restraint" by not kicking his fucking head in.

That appears to have taken a backseat.
  • Cheers for the info. I should really learn to avoid reading initial reports and the like, almost always the confusion leads to mis-reports.
  • There’s an interesting bit of chat kicking around on Twitter about paying attention to the difference in press reporting on this incident, as opposed to one where the perpetrators commit suicide. 

The attacker this time is alive. He’s in custody. He has to go to trial. So the reporting is different. Journalists can’t apportion blame. You’ll probably see it referred to as an ‘incident’ rather than an attack, just in case it was accidental. In case he fell asleep at the wheel. Or had a heart attack. 

If the press blame him, call it deliberate, say he’s a terrorist … then his defence could argue that the jury was biased against him from the off, and claim lack of fair trial.

Of course, the natural reaction to seeing this different style of reporting will be to think that it’s different because he’s a white guy attacking the Muslim community. And it probably is, in part – but there’s this second very real difference to consider as well, before we automatically assume the worst of our journalists.

Fuck me, this is a messed up situation.
  • I don't have a problem with assuming the worst of The S*n to be fair.
  • Aye, nor do I.

I do think it’s an interesting point though.
  • Speaking to a colleague at work today who has drunk the far right/patriot aussie kool-aid/anti-halal snack pack combo and the rationalisation was already in his mind before 30 minutes had past from the news being on the telly.

His argument was that it was revenge at a mosque where there were extremists being raised by an imam with a hook for a hand. 

So basically his rationale is that if there is an attack by a muslim, then their whole country must be levelled and if it is an attack on a muslim, they were planning attacks first so the attack is justified.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yeah but Finsbury park mosque isnt what he attacked, and anyway was closed and taken over by a new trust. The whole area has had a rebrand after extremism and credit card fraud had been a blight on the Muslim folks' reputation.

And anyway, your friend should realise that such a "revenge" attack is a blunt rationalisation of agreeing with terrorism as a tool for action.
  • I can't help feeling more anger at this guy than the Jihadi attackers.

Maybe because I feel lumped in with him being white, maybe because I can't rationalise it through indoctrination or desperation, or religion (all be it a small part of a religion).
    Part of it is that he attacked a city already mourning the death of many.

Middle aged white male, peak privilege, old enough to know better, to not be taken advantage of and radicalised. No promise of paradise.
    Just seems to be pure hate.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    And anyway, your friend should realise that such a "revenge" attack is a blunt rationalisation of agreeing with terrorism as a tool for action.

Good point, although I didnt really think down this line as I was a bit taken aback he was all of a sudden supportive of a vehicle attack on innocent pedestrians (given his comments when similar types of incidents happened in Melbourne, London and France - and we know the Melbourne one wasn't due to extremism). 

On the topic of revenge specifically, I don't like it. I don't even like that people like bin Laden, Saddam and Gaddafi were dealt with via executions. Personally I'd prefer to see them in front of a jury and their crimes dealt with that way.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Middle aged white male, peak privilege, old enough to know better, to not be taken advantage of and radicalised. No promise of paradise. Just seems to be pure hate.

At the risk of being flippant, the UK has a history of extremism and terror attacks committed by people fitting this profile
  • I can't help feeling more anger at this guy than the Jihadi attackers. Maybe because I feel lumped in with him being white, maybe because I can't rationalise it through indoctrination or desperation, or religion (all be it a small part of a religion). Part of it is that he attacked a city already mourning the death of many. Middle aged white male, peak privilege, old enough to know better, to not be taken advantage of and radicalised. No promise of paradise. Just seems to be pure hate.
    Shows how strong the right wing rhetoric has become in England. Of course this guy is still probably ill and particularly susceptible to it because of that, but it's the prominence given to these ideas by UKIP, some Tories and tabloids that have made it seem so accessible and even normal. 

(Probably turn out he was just drunk or something now.)
  • Vela - you should tell him that his line of thinking is exactly how muzzer jihadis want him to think - they want to make people hate and encourage violence. Him thinking that way is him letting terrorists hold sway over his mind. He should free his mind, not do exactly what the terrorists want him to do.
  • I can't help feeling more anger at this guy than the Jihadi attackers.

Maybe because I feel lumped in with him being white, maybe because I can't rationalise it through indoctrination or desperation, or religion (all be it a small part of a religion).
    Part of it is that he attacked a city already mourning the death of many.

Middle aged white male, peak privilege, old enough to know better, to not be taken advantage of and radicalised. No promise of paradise.
    Just seems to be pure hate.

I doubt this guy was privileged and in his right mind. Anyway, this stuff isn't on you, white people commit crimes all the time, do you feel bad about those because the criminals are white? That's crazy.

• I know. Not suggesting my feelings are rational, just feelings innit.
  • Shit, the crowd was really angry. The attacker got lucky he didn't get lynched.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Apparently he nearly did. The Imam saved his life.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Feeling upset to be lumped in with white loonies is probably a tiny taste of how a lot of the Muslim community feel all the time these days.
  • It's ok guys he wasn't a scruffy oik

DCpxyukXkAEky7Q.jpg
  • It's odd that they haven't defined him by which party leader he 'supports'.
  • It's just the natural counterpoint to 'bearded jihadi".

Fair and balanced.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • If there's one thing I hate it's a scruffy terrorist. 

Just relieved that our brave British terrorists have a higher standard of grooming and a much healthier level of self respect than those we see elsewhere in the world. Yeah, you're busy killing people, but that doesn't give you an excuse to slack off on your grooming standards.
  • "How can we say non-muslim without being so direct?"

Normal - too on the nose
    Unturbaned - is that muzzers? Not sure. Someone pop out to the paki shop and ask.
    Pork-refuser - nah that's a few of them innit.
    Clean-shaven - perfect, go with that.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Clean shaven... 

He's not homeless, very likely self possessed. Quite likely to have a job that requires him to face clients/customers. Failing that, he may have expected to face a camera to advertise his act. In other words, he may be attracting attention to some kind of fringe cause, like that stupid National Defence bag of shits.

But yeah, just keep putting stuff into buckets, just like the Mail and the Sun does...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Clean shaven. Why don't they add 'handsome' and 'well dressed' to that description.
    Or that other favorite, 'well spoken'...
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!