The Museum and Art Galleries Thread
  • Agree on Seven Stories. We always take the kids there whenever we are up, a really nice well run place.

Steam in Swindon has trains. Good if you like trains.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Cinema yesterday to see Vikings Live. A tour of the BM exhibition presented by Michael Wood and Bettany Hughes. Definitely brought the exhibition to life, but they only showed a few exhibits as the BM obviously want this to encourage people to go to the exhibition. First time I've seen something like this at the cinema and I thought it worked quite well. Cinema was full.

Saw that as well. I can't stand the way Wood talks in a simpering manner and Hughes might as well have had her tits out. Informative though. Especially the trivia about the Bluetooth rune that I didn't know.

Helicopter was lol.

Most people around me at the end were disappointed with the longboat.
  • Bettany Hughes does seem to have gone to the same presentation school as Nigella. I was surprised by Michael Wood. He's presented tv stuff for years, but his interviewing technique was dreadful, simpering, as you say.

Helicopter moment was amusing along with the guy in the red polo shirt who wasn't sure which way he should be going.

Many people were complaining at the exhibition when I went with Mrs Skondo earlier in the month. The most common observation seemed to be "it's just a few planks". I blame the BM's marketing of the exhibition.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The keel seemed by far the most important element of the find. Since they built a fake structure that takes up more space than the articles themselves I guess that's why people feel cheated.

At the end I was thinking what a missed opportunity it was not having Vikings carrying a fibreglass longboat, beaching it on the steps of the museum and essentially raiding through the front door. For effect.
  • Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow is great.

This. I've loved that place since I was 5.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Off to Zurich tomorrow. I hope to make time to see some culture stuff. And eat fondue.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Re Bettanny Hughes, haven't been able to take her seriously since watching her walk around an ancient Greek ruin in an evening dress and heels. Must be tricky being a female presenter.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Went to the 'private view' of the new Wessex Gallery at Salisbury Museum last night. It's quite stunning and an incredible achievement for a small, provincial museum. I am biased as the gallery was curated by my gorgeous wife. The gallery has its grand public opening with Alice Roberts on Saturday. Entry to the museum will be free on Saturday and there will be all sorts of activities for all the family.

Apologies for the shameless plug.
  • The website is REALLY mobile unfriendly.
    But anyway, looks very good. No doubt I'll take the kids at some point.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Went to the 'private view' of the new Wessex Gallery at Salisbury Museum last night. It's quite stunning and an incredible achievement for a small, provincial museum. I am biased as the gallery was curated by my gorgeous wife. The gallery has its grand public opening with Alice Roberts on Saturday. Entry to the museum will be free on Saturday and there will be all sorts of activities for all the family. Apologies for the shameless plug.

I might be attending with my wife, if I can manage to avoid some other chores, or get them done earlier.
  • I have never looked at the website on mobile until now and you're not wrong WorKid. I just mentioned to Mrs Skondo and the reaction was a shake of the head with an exasperated 'I know'. The website issues have not been prioritised it would appear.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Sorry, that makes it sound like the museum is a chore to. Not what I ment.
  • Ha! Not how I read it Goober.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Anyone gone to the Making Colours exhibit at the National Galleries?
  • Open day at Salisbury Museum surpassed all expectations. 2500 visitors attended. Was a great day, just wish they had put air-con in the gallery as it was uncomfortably hot inside the building.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I couldn't make it in the end, the wife had a migraine. Heard from friends that it was brilliant though.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This is going down in Sheffield.

Video games and the unimaginable...

https://playexhibition.wordpress.com/
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I probably should've said Vastic did the chiptune music for the opening night.
  • Went to see poppies at Tower of London today and also went to see the Sherlock Holmes exhibition at The Museum of London. Sadly, not terribly interesting at all.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Went to Bletchley Park today. Big family day out as that's where my grandparents met. Hard to concentrate with me kids running about, but a place with an undeniably fascinating history. Crazy to think something of that significance, with a staff of 10,000, was kept secret until three decades after the war. (I sadly never got to probe my grandparents on it directly, as I was too young, though to be honest my granny still wouldn't speak about it in the 90s.)

Nice grounds, seeing basically the worlds computer running live was cool. And nice being there with my mum looking at a photo of her dad on the wall. Would very much like to go back sans kids and read up on it some more.
  • Very cool. The whole story behind that place is utterly fascinating, and uniquely British. I love reading about it; I totally got sidetracked during my degree and spent ages reading about Bletchley, Enigma, Colossus and Turing, to the detriment of my degree but definitely to the benefit of my education.

Amazing that your grandparents met there, that's wonderful.
  • Somehow I have never been to Bletchley Park despite growing up 10 minutes away. Would have thought my school would have done a trip there but nope.
    Will add it to the list of things to do.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Here's the picky in fact (from http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/about/postwar.rhtm).  My grandpa's the highest of the people not standing, just below a woman with a white collar or something.  Apparently my granny had left by then, because my uncle was born earlier in the month than VE Day (which was when that photo was taken).

Which makes me think (though this somehow, fortunately, didn't twig yesterday) that he must have actually been conceived in one of the huts!!  

VEdayHuts632jpg.jpg
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Taken by a friend to the British library on Sat to see the Magna Carta exhibition. It's just as well the front and middle of it all is hitting you with "all but two of it's clauses has been repealed but the influence it's had on national constitutions since is legendary" as when you actually get to the two copies of it on display it's fairly underwhelming. Especially since there's some really rad fragments of documents from the same period with colourful medieval doodles.

It's not fun being stuck in the queue at the start when everyone is still enthusiastic. But then towards the end of the exhibit you pretty much have free reign because the tourists's feet hurt and jog on to the authentic British Wetherspoons pub lunch. Along with two copies of the magna (one of which is hilariously fucking ruined by a botched 19th century restoration job) they had a copy each of the US Bill of Rights and Dec of Independence which are just as old as the original.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!