Copyright query
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I am compiling a cocktail database. I have built a RESTful style service that I intend to use to build an app with. (Others may choose to use the web service - for now I won't mind as long as my hosting service doesn't get into a flap..

The web service is there as v1.0  - will do basic searches based on ingredients or name. Once I get the content up to a few hundred I'll look at adding some nice features.

Dev heads can go here for a look : http://www.davykelly.com/splendrink

Anyhoo. I am currently working on content. No point having this without some decent recipes. I have built up a fair old collection of books over the years and I intend to use them. I will be taking the ingredients and ratios/amounts. I won't be using any textual descriptions or images (as tempting as that is).

Where am I with respect to copyright of the recipes? I have no intention of making money at this - this isn't exactly a new idea. I am doing it for my own satisfaction. I suspect that doesn't really matter as I am in a sense replicating content.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You mean for web service calls? Yeah. I used to create SOAP web services when I coded for a living. I was under the impression that SOAP was falling out of favour and that app developers posted HTTP requests that return XML or JSON as it is less verbose.

cheers for the link.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    yeah that's what it meant - didn't realise it was drifting out of favour but happy to believe you (we just use it for (one of our admittedly older) products where I worked, so I thought it was maybe the way to do things - but you sound rather more knowledgeable than me!!)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SOAP is really easy to use - especially if your dev tools support it. You just write your classes or COM components (for Windows) and you can auto-generate a WSDL. 

Consuming them is dead easy too with languages featuring object classes that allow you to just point at the WSDL and then call the methods/functions specified in the WSDL.

From reading around I believe this is still a way to do it but mobile app devs use methods that are more "light weight". Not meaning light in function, but have less overheads.

You write code that is executed by posting to a URL and accepting params in the query string. Your code then generates a response which is typically JSON - basically an array of values serialised as a delimited string, or a chunk of XML. I have never wrangled JSON but the classes exist to parse and extract values much like classes that handle XML such as DOM.

I'm in management now and haven't coded for money in a while. I'm teaching myself PHP for fun and the way I have selected to do this is one way of doing it that I have gleaned from googling around. The technique has the acronym REST (can't remember what that stands for but in esseence is the technique I have described)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/90451/why-would-one-use-rest-instead-of-web-services
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

Plenty of very large projects based on REST now... 

For me, having some flexibility over your serialisation format (as opposed to using XML without a choice) is enough of a reason to choose REST over SOAP, because web serialisation formats appear to change everyday.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    As for the copyright thing, I'm sure you'll be fine, just put it online.

Somewhat sublime, a rather apt rhyme...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • You taken a look at the Mixology app?
  • INALB I imagine recipes (i.e. the ingredients plus instructions) are very difficult to assert copyright over. Just don't copy them word for word as you said.
  • I would be warry over any that may be a signature cocktail.
  • He's not selling them and could probably just rely on taking them down (if ever asked which seems unlikely)?
  • It depends.
    Not selling them still means people are making them t home ratherdrinking them out. It would be people like tgi Fridays I would be wary of.
  • Copyright covers people's own right to exploit their work (make money) giving copyrighted work reduces a person's ability to exploit would infringe that right.

Difficult to say whether a single recipe has copyright, could argue that it's all public domain, but a recipe from a specific person might show enough character to be copyrighted if it could be considered to be artistic and showed some element of being the authors own intellectual creation.

You can infringe database rights (ie if someone has put in a substantial investment to build up a database of cocktails themselves, taking substantial parts of that work is an infringement)

I think youd be okay if you collected recipes from various places and the recipes were fairly generic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    You taken a look at the Mixology app?

Had a look around yeah. This is just for my own delectation - I have no intention of conquering the world (in fact had thought of calling it mixology before I found out about that one). I think Splendrink is a better name anyhow....the features I have in mind are similar to mixology but I have a few ideas of my own that take it further if I ever get round to it...

I am encouraged by what I have seen so far re copyright. Steerting clear of signature drinks will be safer - though if the inventor has published the contents I don't see how it would do any harm. I am  including credit info against each drink just to be safe anyhow as it will facilitate easy removal if it ever becomes an issue.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!