‹ Previous1234
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm of a certain age - I was 18 in 1984 - the mid 80's - when the threat of nuclear war was perceived at least to be very real. Around that time I had a recurring dream about the aftermath of a nuclear strike that happened while I was abroad and I had an epic journey home - there's probably a novel in that. I still get that dream from time to time. I have Protect & Survive on DVD(!) and also have a copy of Threads which thankfully I didn't see in the day as it would have scared the living shit out of me (is available on youtube).

Anyhow, I'm one of those people who daydreams about having a shelter with provisions etc. Probably a mixture of my conservative ways re life and the fact that I lived through the 80s in my formative years. It probably helps me in my current responsibilities that include business continuity and things IT related..

Just found this and it really appeals to my sensibilities...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm well behind that seed ark. I am also a survivalist. I'm wearing a paracord bracelet that I made. I have a box in the boot of my car with fire making, fuel, stoves, shelter, knife etc.

Edit - Just realized, I'm also wearing a signal mirror.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Is this an elaborate build up for Fallout 4?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dying light.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Threads is the best. I also have Protect and Survive. Nuclear war rocks.
  • I was thinking about the cat in Threads the other day. They must've had fun with that. I don't often think of crippled cats but my daughter is 3 and YouTube cat clips can have her literally ROFL.
  • Thought this was going to be a DayZ thread. Disappoint.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • That's the usual reaction to starting Day Z.
  • WRONG.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Maybe you like being murdured by a sociopath with a private army for your twigs.
  • I watched an episode of Man Woman Wild the other day and I learnt something pretty amazing. If you only have dirty water available and no way to boil it you can show a tube up your arse, inject the water and you will be able to absorb 15-20% of the water without risk of bacteria getting through. 

Thats survival.

The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • I do the same with any food from street vendors.

Also, boiling can make it worse a lot of the time if it's not also filtered. Relatively harmless germs can have a lot of bad toxins safely inside their membrain until you boil them. Save some charcoal from yesterday's fire and pour it through that first. Or shove it up your arse for all I care.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You could shove the charcoal up your arse and then inject the water.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I'm of a certain age - I was 18 in 1984 - the mid 80's - when the threat of nuclear war was preceived at least to be very real

Not half as real as my mother thought it to be. You've a couple of years on me, but my mum was fine with me having the Atari 2600, how've when I got the CPC464 she'd seen Wargames and decided that being as the Amstrad had a keyboard it was only safe in the shed at the bottom of the garden

Obviously if I did happen to hack NORAD (without a modem) and start a "game" of Thermonuclear War with Joshua, the extra forty yards afforded her by putting me in the shed would make all the difference

I loved her but jesus

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Doomsday Preppers is one of my favourite shows ever.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I'm of a certain age - I was 18 in 1984 - the mid 80's - when the threat of nuclear war was preceived at least to be very real
    Not half as real as my mother thought it to be. You've a couple of years on me, but my mum was fine with me having the Atari 2600, how've when I got the CPC464 she'd seen Wargames and decided that being as the Amstrad had a keyboard it was only safe in the shed at the bottom of the garden Obviously if I did happen to hack NORAD (without a modem) and start a "game" of Thermonuclear War with Joshua, the extra forty yards afforded her by putting me in the shed would make all the difference I loved her but jesus

smiles. It is easy for us to forget how things have changed for that gen of people. It took some time for me to convince my parents they didn't need the TV on to record a programme on the VCR.
  • Anyone that can find the first warp in Super Mario Bros can hack NORAD with a modem. Only real hackers, with bleached hair and names like Zero_Cool, can hack military computers without a modem.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    I do the same with any food from street vendors. Also, boiling can make it worse a lot of the time if it's not also filtered. Relatively harmless germs can have a lot of bad toxins safely inside their membrain until you boil them. Save some charcoal from yesterday's fire and pour it through that first. Or shove it up your arse for all I care.
    davyK wrote:
    You could shove the charcoal up your arse and then inject the water.

Alternatively eat the coal and drink the gun metal polish. That's more fun, at least.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A mate of mine told a guy who asked him about "these computer viruses" back in the day to make sure to keep his computer (a ZX Spectrum) well away from the phone.

This is the same guy who reduced a girl in the office to tears when he told her that time was going to the metric system when she showed him her brand new Rolex.

Genius.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    So get him in here, we have a few vacancies.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

He had a dalliance with gaming back in the SNES days. Was obssessed with Starfox and Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, and some SMK. But his enthusiasms didn't survive the jump to next gen.
  • There are only a couple of us watching Naked and Afraid. Its right up some of yoos alleys.
    Mostly for the mirth factor.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I have a thing for Ray Mears. By that I mean I hate him, but his shows are really informative.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I watch all the survivor stuff as it fuel for my armageddon daydreams(I even have the White noise app on my phone which is full of the sounds of various rainfall, fires, woods etc to help me drift off).  I have a little survival bag(or bugout bag I believe the term is) but it is nowhere the level of a Doomsday prepper, just bits & bob's from various camping hols & wild camps from the last 20 odd years.

If Zombies/aliens or one of the G8(7?) goes land grab crazy & there is a humanity/society reset, it will be one of the first things I pick up.

Daydreams eh.
  • If I absolutely had to describe a film as jaw-dropping, I'd probably choose Threads. 

I'd survive Armageddon because of my camping under tarpaulin in the woods every November experience for the past three years.  If we don't chop enough wood, we get cold - it's quite motivating.  Courier at work has been doing it since the 80s, and worryingly refers to them as 'caveman nights'.  I doubt cavemen had Herta Frankfurters and Scrumpy though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'd survive the apocalypse because I would steal a massive tank and ram raid Tesco. All your hotdogs are belonging to us.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I have a thing for Ray Mears. By that I mean I hate him, but his shows are really informative.

I've met him at a lecture he did and he was nothing but polite and friendly.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Scotswahey wrote:
    I have a thing for Ray Mears. By that I mean I hate him, but his shows are really informative.
    I've met him at a lecture he did and he was nothing but polite and friendly.
    Typical cunt behaviour.

Me and my ex were about to move into a house eith a good sized garden. I was totally going to build a bomb shelter. I wonder how much shipping containers are.

edit - Looks like I could get one for a grand. Postage might be a bit pricy. I'm not even sure what kind of container you'd put it in.
  • How deep are you allowed to dig in your own back garden without planning permission?
    at-the-earths-core-3.png
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!