The drinking man’s thread
  • Cheers Webbins, I'm still going to try it as a) my mate's the one looking to buy it and b) it'll be mixed with coke anyway.
  • On your head be it. If you're ever passing through Bradford, there's a bottle with your name on it.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Lime and ginger pretty much obliterates the taste of anything if it’s strong enough.
  • If you have to add so much other flavour to mask the base spirit then it's not worth the bother... and if the base spirit is Flash cut with Magic Tree, then it's certainly not worth it.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Depends what you’re drinking for, if it’s for pleasure then write it off, if it’s just to get tucked up then anything has a place.
  • Negatively impacted my taste buds for the rest of the evening too. Subsequent G&T and voddie and orange didn't sit well either.
  • I'm a stubborn bollocks so I'll give it one more go with a mixer (Domestos), and see where I am.
  • davyK wrote:
    Bison grass vodka goes well with apple juice.

Hell yeah it does. It's a leathaly refreshing combination that can get you in trouble if you're not careful.

Add some fresh squeezed lime juice to that and you get a 'Tatanka' - traditional polish drink.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Bison grass vodka goes well with apple juice.
    Hell yeah it does. It's a leathaly refreshing combination that can get you in trouble if you're not careful.
    Add some fresh squeezed lime juice to that and you get a 'Tatanka' - traditional polish drink.

A large diagonal slice of cucumber is great too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I had to do the right thing and pass on the hemp review in the end. It's a no go.
  • Wise decision.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm in the Brandling, Daddy. I know you said it went a bit twatty a while ago but dear me, that menu is full of cringe. Also, the barman called me "dude" when I walked in.

He redeemed himself when I asked about a few beers though, and he had a good recommendation so it's not all bad. But yeah, first impressions weren't agreeable.
  • You made me look it up. Jesus fucking Christ. A lot of thought has gone into that, with the net result of making everyone associated with it look like a cunt.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was going to post a pic but didn't want to shame them too much. Trying way to hard, bless them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pub I drink in. The Maypole in Holywood, Co. Down.

No food. Single TV only turned on for selected sports event that the barman is interested in. No music.

They sell crisps (2 flavours) and packets of normal and dry roasted peanuts.

They have a wine list and they have it pinned to the wall. This is not a joke. It reads:

Red
    White
    Prosecco small bottle
    Wine large bottle.

Genius.

It's also called Ned's. Ned has been dead for at least 30 years. His sons run it but the eldest has bought them all out so there is just him.

http://www.nedsbar.co.uk/
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I like the sound of that. Yoss will hate it.
  • Aye, it's a real shame. When the guy took it over he made it into a really nice place to go. It's become a victim of its own success though. Tend to go the The Millstone more often these days, but Brandling still gets the odd visit. Good burgers.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    10334239_793479990691380_4975476019497426339_n.jpg?

This place? I'm guessing so because the website said "hello cheeky chops" to me.
  • Everything about their website is bad aids.
    'Name your favourite old gadgie' if you want to book a table online. FUCK OFF.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's it, aye.

Yeah, the menu looks decent food wise, I bet you can't go wrong, it's just bad in every other way.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The food looks good, and I'm always a fan of variety when it comes to beer choices, but the faux hipster styling/marketing needs to fuck off.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yoss will hate it.

I would? I dislike sports on TV in pubs, but it sounds like that’s a rarity. The rest sounds fine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yoss will hate it.
    I would? I dislike sports on TV in pubs, but it sounds like that’s a rarity. The rest sounds fine.

In the Maypole, the TV is turned on if the owner has a bet on a horse race. It is then switched off.

If the Irish Rugby team are playing it is on for the duration of the match. Then off it goes.

You might get champ league mid week but again -switched off once the game is over.

No Sky Sports. It might be BT Sports they have.

Up until about 5 years ago it was a CRT.

When I was in my mid 20s they still had a manual cash till - the type with the pop up cards, the largest amount that could be rung up at any one time was £5.

They have a single string of light up Guinness lights at Christmas. There was nothing like that until the last decade or so.

This is the kind of till hey had

stock-photo-antique-cash-register-vintage-till-used-to-calculate-prices-old-fashioned-mechanical-metal-1357955369.jpg
  • My train station local, The Bull Tavern, Woolwich, is a great Irish pub (best Guinness in London), they have three tv's (all three of which had the all Ireland final on the other month) that show football, horse racing and whatever else is on.

Went in a few weekends back and it was Liverpool Vs Spurs. Had it one one tv, with the other two showing horse racing. Three non-locals come in, get a pint then sit down and start complaining after 20 minutes. Go to the barmaid and say, 'hey, why is horse racing on? Everyone wants to watch the football, put the football on more screens'. Barmaid told them in no uncertain terms, 'the horse racing stays on' (there's always a regular contingent of ol' fellas watching it). These pricks started mockingly saying very loud, 'oh horse racing! yeah, so exciting. Horse racing eh, how great'.

She says, 'if you don't like it you can leave'. They get antsy, she says she'll throw them out before they finish their drinks, they say, 'we'll finish our drinks we've paid for them', she says, 'if I throw you out you won't finish anything'. They sit there for about a minute more whilst all the regulars cast glances at them, then they leave their drinks and mutter about how crap the place is then start walking out. All the pub started cheering and going, 'bye bye'. Good times.

It's a super friendly pub, but these three dick heads came in, order a drink then started demanding very loudly that the perma-horse racing get switched over for them, when they could easily just move closer to the tv showing the footie. They rightly got mocked. Love The Bull.
  • Was like when those students went to the Phoenix Club then got cheered out.
  • They say God loves a trier, well the frigger better be getting down on one knee and taking me up the aisle as I'm back at the hemp rum. Cutting that shit with extra fiery Old Jamaica ginger beer has worked wonders, guaranteed to mask horse piss so Cillit Bang rum is a cake walk.
  • Having a pint of bitburger in a bar in Manchester
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In lanzerote with a nautical drinking companion. Fuck me ...... rum.
  • Lanzarote? Honey rum, surely? Ron Miel Artemi?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!