The Linux geek thread
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    They sound too abundant to be keyboard shortcuts and sound like context menus so I read what you wrote as the former.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Or the latter- SKKRTZ!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Open a Mac console, type - 'ps aux' (without the single quotes) - and press enter... You should see a list of every single thing running on your Mac at that moment. Granted, there's a Mac application for that (and tbh, it's far easier to use), but it's sort of cool to get a low level look at what the machine's doing. :]

Ooh, a long list of things I don't understand.

As I say, I'd quite like to know this stuff, but as you say, without a reason to use it, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    beano wrote:
    They sound too abundant to be keyboard shortcuts and sound like context menus so I read what you wrote as the former.

No, they're all shortcuts. Although, on OSX now you can create your own kb shortcuts, so if you do want to access something in a menu quickly you can create your own shortcut to it. Although, I'm not sure if that goes for context menus. Still, it's a nice feature.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    A thread for all things Linux! So, what flavor are you running?

At the moment, just Raspbian on my Raspberry Pi. But I'm thinking of getting a Thinkpad laptop and putting elementaryOS on it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ubuntu mostly on work gear, the cloudstack I'm running at the moment is Ubuntu server installs as the base OS. Gonna be setting up a client-nginx server for some tests on php and websockets. I'm quite into the odd Mint install personally. ElementaryOS getting a knock though. 

But most of the time it's personally and professionally all about windows as it's mostly software that only runs on windows that I'm breaking. I do miss ESXi for virtualisation over KVM, QEMU & libvirt but cloudstacks man. Looks like I'll be ripping down the cloud though, and going full on with windows server, hyper-v, ms scvmm and azure cloud services, man it's a heavy stack, and no doubt will take all friggin week if not more to deploy, compared with ubuntu, kvm, QEMU & libvirt which might take 2 whole days.
  • I'd say Mint is one of the easier distros to start with nowadays. I installed the XFCE version on my father's netbook and he's had almost no trouble at all. Certainly no more than he had with XP.
    I use the slightly geekier Crunchbang, but I'm thinking of switching to Mint.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Only work, rarely for pleasure! As far as editors go, its gota be vi all the way.

I'm a Redhat/centOS guy by default, but I've recently been working on AIX, UIX and Solaris systems.

For those thinking about dipping in; if you're a Windows user with Win7 Professional or above, you've already got a pretty good Virtual Host baked into the OS called Windows Hyper-V.  Doddle to setup and you can have a nix based VM running on a 10Gb Virtual Disk with a 512Mb slice of your RAM in no time at all.

As others have mentioned, playing around with a NIX system really does allow you to get a better underpinning on how a computer and its constituent parts hang together.  

The beauty of using a VM to do all this is that you can take a snapshot of the newly installed VM (backup basically, takes only a fraction of the space the actual VM take on your drive) and when you break the OS because you've been doing some silly stuff (cd /; rm -rf *) you press a button in Hyper-V and wham, working VM is back again!
  • I fsck'ing get this thread. Linux has a backend sure, as a desktop client no no no. I'd rather scoop my eyes out with a spoon.

"Hey this hot desk area is dhcp, not static?"

Watches crazy contractor open toe sandal geek ifconfig unplumb his if to get his mail and rdp client up..

Hehe
  • I fsck'ing get this thread. Linux has a backend sure, as a desktop client no no no. I'd rather scoop my eyes out with a spoon.

Watches crazy contractor open toe sandal geek ifconfig unplumb his if to get his mail and rdp client up..

Hehe

Hehe
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I fsck'ing get this thread. Linux has a backend sure, as a desktop client no no no. I'd rather scoop my eyes out with a spoon.

Hehe
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    What was that, rayman?

Good to see @Ed_Flanders make the post jump. *applauds*

Didn't someone here used to be a big Fedora user?
  • Crazy tripple post on the train..sorry for chewing up your thread!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Indeed, kiss hunk's nose, and don't miss going over both cavities.
  • beano wrote:
    What was that, rayman? Good to see @Ed_Flanders make the post jump. *applauds* Didn't someone here used to be a big Fedora user?
    Thanks. I'll try to post as much as I lurk from now on.
    Something else to consider: Linux works quite well with Steam now, provided that all your libraries are reasonably recent. Wasted too much time playing Football Manager...
  • Rayman wrote:
    Crazy tripple post on the train..sorry for chewing up your thread!

It's okay, if I had to travel by train I'd be drunk too.

Steam games perform exceptionaly well on Linux.
    Except for the Witcher2 but that because it's not really a native port.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Some crazy people have got together and made a Linux  distro that runs Android apps and Debian/Ubuntu packages.

Cross posted to Android thread.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • What Android apps are worth having in Linux? I have an Android smartphone which I barely use, but off the top of my head I can't think of any.
  • Android games? Although with Steam around that's hardly a big thing anymore.

Would be nice if Linux-Android adopted an OSX-iOS type of interaction between devices...
  • What kind of interaction is that, then? I've not been able to upgrade past Lion.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    What Android apps are worth having in Linux? I have an Android smartphone which I barely use, but off the top of my head I can't think of any.
    hunk wrote:
    Android games?

It's always nice to have choice, I reckon. There might not be anything at the moment that makes me think "yup, I'd want to run that on my desktop", but there might be in future. The more pieces of hardware a bit of software can run on, the better.
    AJ wrote:
    What kind of interaction is that, then? I've not been able to upgrade past Lion.

This.
  • Apple's idiotic refusal to make a website that works on their own phone is preventing me from bothering to read that right now. At a guess, I'd say most of it's possible with third party apps, but won't happen ever out of the box (aside from stuff relate to Chrome). I'm neither happy or unhappy about this 'cause in quite happy with the level of synchronisation my devices already have.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Apple's idiotic refusal to make a website that works on their own phone

Jeebus. That's as bad as my experience being that YouTube works worst on Chrome.
  • Chrome in android is a bit chunky and requires quite a bit of ram. It ran like a 3-legged dog on the og. galaxy s (372 mb kitkat) but soars like an eagle with the MI3 (2gb kitkat).
    The normal browser runs just about anything I throw at it on both devices (KitKat) including YouTube vids, tho I prefer the app.
  • Just finished S2ep1. of walking dead on android.
    Fantastic game and as of now telltale hasn't done a port to Linux.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Worrying about Linux not being user friendly, is kinda missing the point at least a little. Also when I used Ubuntu regularly the sport community was fantastic, this was back in the dodgy dog or whatever it was called. Learning a little shell stuff is only a good thing, and someone somewhere has normally written decent enough drivers for most products
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Also when I used Ubuntu regularly the sport community was fantastic

Good old Ubuntu. I ran Xubuntu as my main OS for a couple of weeks a few years ago while my Mac was in for repairs. Absolutely loved it. I'm pondering buying an ex-lease Lenovo Thinkpad and installing Ubuntu derivative elementaryOS on it. They've "borrowed" a lot of UI cues from OS X, so it should be about as user friendly as (GNU)Linux gets.

• Bryan Lunduke and stuff that annoys you in the Linux world.
    It's a bit lengthy but well worth it.

He's right about the Linux funding model tho'. Inefficient...
  • Is there a list of the things he finds annoying? That's half a football match I'm expected to watch...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!