Super Smash Brothers (WiiU and 3DS and SWITCH)
‹ Previous123456714
  • logo-sb-3ds.pnglogo-sb-wii.png
    SMASH BROTHERS RETURNS

Official site: http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/

Trailer:

3DS trailer:

Detailed preview video / Nintendo direct:

Charizard and Greninja trailer:

Luna/Rosalina/Kirby trailer:

Little Mac trailer which is the best trailer:

Palutena trailer which is the most lovely looking trailer:

3DS version due Summer 2014, Wii U due Winter 2014. 

Link-up features will be included.

Character list (now up to 36 characters) here

There will be AMIIBO support for the WiiU version:

group.jpg

Plus lets reminisce about previous Smash Brothers titles, including of course Melee.  About which there is a superb documentary:
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I may have done a little sexwee while watching that trailer.  GOOD
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I loved the N64 smash bros. played constantly on that with my brothers and sister. Also fox was a badass.
  • New characters:

Palutena
    Little Mac
    Pacman
    Lucina (and 'Robin') from Fire Emblem
    Rosalina and Luna (SMG)
    Greninja (Pokemon)
    Mega Man
    Wii Fit trainer (female, probably also male as alt)
    Animal Crossing Villager!
    And - play as a Mii

Plus all the usual including Link and Toon Link (for some reason not wearing his NUFC top)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Little Mac!  Totally unappreciated in his time.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I've never played a Smash Bros. Ever. So will get this on 3DS over the summer I think.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • THIS POST RESERVED FOR FRIENDS LISTS AND STUFF IF NECESSARY
  • I hope this is a MK8 equivalent in quality terms. 

Only played the Wii version, which I loved, but online matches were a real pain. HD that with decent connectivity and it sounds perfect to me. 

4 player badger matches should be an absolute blast.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • This looks immense. Wii U is really picking up this year. Animation looks even more anime inspired than previous titles? Was Nintendo less involved?

I wonder if they'll provide a bonus character if you own both the 3DS and WiiU versions, might be a good idea?
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Never really played one before. But oddly quite looking forward to this, I think mainly cos online means I'll actually be able to do MO.

It's basically a platformy beat em up right? How are the different moves done, SF2 style or just different buttons, or is that the wrong way to look at it?
  • Litte Mac trailer added to OP.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Never really played one before. But oddly quite looking forward to this, I think mainly cos online means I'll actually be able to do MO. It's basically a platformy beat em up right? How are the different moves done, SF2 style or just different buttons, or is that the wrong way to look at it?

From my experience of it, its a pretty unique thing. 

Got a really playful, knockabout feel to it, but it is DEEP.

Sorry, not very helpful.

It really is rather brilliant though.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The GC version, Smash Bros Melee, drew the largest streaming audience at EVO. Melee will be featuring in EVO 2014.

The Wii version , Smash Bros Brawl was a bit of disappointment to the Melee crowd as a lot of the tourney friendly aspects seemed to be removed as it was in their eyes dumbed down a tad. Melee is apparently incredibly deep with new techniques still being discovered. I was never good enough to appreciate it, but even I can detect that Melee feels better to play.

It seems that Melee is a true engine-based fighting game. The rules of the engine are set up and if I understand it correctly , all interactions are not scripted, so in essence, even the developers of the game couldn't predict everything - making it a blank canvas to devoted gamers with skills. The top players can recognise their opponents just from their play style.

Smash is 4 player, and supports team play (melee , 2v2 or 1v3) and 2 vs 2 is used in tournaments as well as traditional 1 v 1.

Given that the GC adaptor is coming out for WiiU, it looks as if Ninty went back to the drawing board with this version and if they are smart they will create a true sequel to Melee which will keep the hardcore happy.

To the uninitiated , Melee and Brawl (particularly Brawl) are creaking with content - they are huge games with a bewildering array of modes, options and collectables. It is fair to say it will be value for money if nothing else. Brawl supports every conceivable controller combination for Wii (GC pad, remote, remote+nunchuck, pro controller), and each player can select their own method.

Melee got absolutely laced at my house. It's the only fighting game my two teenage daughters enjoy - and when their cousins visited from England, the four of them seem to play this endlessly. Sessions would go on long after I got sick of playing.

If they get this right, then with MK8 and other 1st party games created with similar care, the WiiU could make a serious comeback to be at least relevant this gen.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Melee was a bit overwhelming. They both were actually. Almost too many options.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That was the joy of it in many respects. I found myself clicking somewhere on the screen and stumbling across modes hidden away that would be complete games in themselves.

I could never get my head around the Ice Climbers - controlling the pair as one character.....

The top players play with a CRT as they can detect lag with modern displays.

EVO highlights (some crap lag on occasion in this recording for some reason but you should get the idea of what the top notch guys play like)

• Nintendo hate the competitive scene. They stopped MLG from broadcasting Melee events a few years ago. And this new one is almost bound to be crappy for competitive play. However, Melee is back, and will be at the next MLG event.
    GT: Knight640
  • Can we put the link to the melee documentary in the op? It's worth watching.

I have never got into melee but I'm about to change all that this time. Probably going to own it on both systems.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Can we put the link to the melee documentary in the op? It's worth watching.

Second this, great series of documentaries.
  • Done. I nicked the link out of the other Fred. Will sort it properly when home.
  • Knight wrote:
    Nintendo hate the competitive scene. They stopped MLG from broadcasting Melee events a few years ago. And this new one is almost bound to be crappy for competitive play. However, Melee is back, and will be at the next MLG event.

Actually it would seem that everything they are doing (for the Wii U version) is geared for compet play.
    1) promotion via an invitational tournament
    2) A hardware solution to allow GCN controllers
    3) Infinite variations of the most boring level
    4) recommendation for using wired LAN
    5) allowing the use at tourneys.

After they made the error of banning Melee it seems almost everything else has been to help the competitive scene.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I agree re this new version having a good chance for tournament play. The GC pad solution being the main indicator for me.
  • Can't come soon enough!
  • They tried to ban melee at last year's Evo as well. And all that stuff is good but it's the game's mechanics that I'm primarily talking about.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If they retain the freedom that Melee had (and I consider GC pad support an indicator of that - a bit of leap - but not that big a leap as Melee-heads will want to keep that control option) then it could be rather good.

Weird behavior by Nintendo though - you would have thought that the PR from EVO would help brawl sales. They backtracked after the shitstorm their ban caused but it is a baffling attitude. Maybe they are afraid of being associated with obssessive types as opposed to tournaments. EVO does have a bit of a negative reputation too (re that rape/girl row that broke out)which may not have helped.

• Pac-man trailer (zzzzzzzz)

And another good one, the Wii Fit Trainer trailer

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    And another good one, the Wii Fit Trainer trailer

If one of her special moves isn't clubbing someone over the head with the Wii Balance Board, there is no god.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is there any other game that can dance through the licensing swamp...?

Sega (Sonic), Namco (Pacman), Megaman(Capcom), Konami (Snake) - is he in this version? He is in Brawl on Wii.
  • davyK wrote:
    If they retain the freedom that Melee had (and I consider GC pad support an indicator of that - a bit of leap - but not that big a leap as Melee-heads will want to keep that control option) then it could be rather good.

Weird behavior by Nintendo though - you would have thought that the PR from EVO would help brawl sales. They backtracked after the shitstorm their ban caused but it is a baffling attitude. Maybe they are afraid of being associated with obssessive types as opposed to tournaments. EVO does have a bit of a negative reputation too (re that rape/girl row that broke out)which may not have helped.

Casual smash bros fans will wanna play on a classic controller though, not playing on a classic controller would be an exercise in massive frustration.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The wiimote on it's side isn't a bad option either for casuals to be honest. That was supported in Brawl - may well be in this version too, but yeah - pro controller would probably be better.

• & pretty much the whole thang.

• http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/channel

Closing stages of the MLG Melee tournament.
‹ Previous123456714

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!