Send message
    Zelda:LttP
    Super Metroid
    F-Zero
    Super Mario World
    Yoshi's Island
    Pilotwings
    Super Mario Kart

one console, one developer, one publisher, one console worth owning.

It is high time someone enhanced forum software to make it overlap pages by 1 post.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • We used to have a lovely dynamic interface where that wasn't an issue, then people started complaining that they wanted pages like they were used to.
  • Wandered around aimlessly for an hour, found somewhere I hadn't been, found a save point that didn't want to save my progress, then found a boss that killed me.  Back to the save point on the other side of the world.  Stupid fucking game.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Wandered around aimlessly for an hour, found somewhere I hadn't been, found a save point that didn't want to save my progress, then found a boss that killed me.  Back to the save point on the other side of the world.  Stupid fucking game.

I'd advise you start again.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • How is that going to improve things?
  • Exactly.  I'm two hours in and I'm only kind of enjoying it.  Can everyone at least admit that getting stuck on underwater spikes or in those plant traps is properly shit?
  • AJ wrote:
    How is that going to improve things?

because he doesn't know where he is or what he's doing. He hasn't touched it for about a year.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

There are parts that are brutal if you try and traverse them without the requisite equipment. You might have been unlucky as there are save points aplenty if memory serves..

I think you have to find the first save point to activate them all maybe? Have you got the mapping going yet? It's been a long time.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Exactly.  I'm two hours in and I'm only kind of enjoying it.  Can everyone at least admit that getting stuck on underwater spikes or in those plant traps is properly shit?

Don't get stuck then, simple.
  • AJ wrote:
    How is that going to improve things?
    because he doesn't know where he is or what he's doing. He hasn't touched it for about a year.

I never knew where I was or what I was doing when I played them. That's what the map's for.
  • Exactly.  I'm two hours in and I'm only kind of enjoying it.  Can everyone at least admit that getting stuck on underwater spikes or in those plant traps is properly shit?
    Don't get stuck then, simple.

Come on now, if you do get stuck, it's crap.  Not getting stuck might avoid the annoying half stuck on/in things routine, but if you're not very good at the game you're gonna fall into the traps designed to trap you.  btw, stick 'get good at it' up your bottom.

I've found my way back to that section now - all the other save rooms work, do I have to turn the power on in this one or something?  There are enemies appearing every fifteen seconds or so, even in the save room, and little bugs everywhere.  I got there by swinging over water in a tricky but quite good section.  There are also grey doors I don't think I can open yet.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah there's an area you need to power up.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Wandered around aimlessly for an hour, found somewhere I hadn't been, found a save point that didn't want to save my progress, then found a boss that killed me.  Back to the save point on the other side of the world.  Stupid fucking game.

Lol! I agree getting stuck can be frustrating in a game. But that's not always the game's fault! See people giving up on Dark Souls - just because they don't have the patience or skill, they give up and blame the game.

By the way, if you're dying on a boss in Super Metroid and it's not Draygon (giant green prawn thing) without the "trick".... you're doing something wrong. They're all easy apart from Draygon. I reckon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My list:

1. Super
    2. Prime
    3. Prime 2
    4. Zero Mission
    5. Fusion
    6. Prime 3
    7. Other M

Never finished Return of Samus on GB, and never played the first on NES.
  • I'm glad I gave up if there was a more difficult boss than the one I was on. Don't have time for that shit, the game's immediate mechanics aren't exciting enough to make it fun getting good at it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I'm glad I gave up if there was a more difficult boss than the one I was on. Don't have time for that shit, the game's immediate mechanics aren't exciting enough to make it fun getting good at it.

God damn. Super has immaculate mechanics.
  • Immediate mechanics meaning movement and the like which, while fitting perfectly with the game, are incredibly generic and uninspiring.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    By the way, if you're dying on a boss in Super Metroid and it's not Draygon (giant green prawn thing) without the "trick".... you're doing something wrong.

I definitely did something wrong, 'cos I ran out of energy innit.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Lol! I agree getting stuck can be frustrating in a game. But that's not always the game's fault!

I'm not really blaming the game.  It's a twenty year old title with bundles of exploration that I'm attempting to tackle twenty years after most people who love it first explored it.  It doesn't help that I like games to hold my hand and point or funnel me in the right direction, so I'm out of my comfort zone.  It's clearly a stupendously good SNES game, but it's not really for me, hence not going back to it since the retro club fortnight.

I'll see the credits if it kills me though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Immediate mechanics meaning movement and the like which, while fitting perfectly with the game, are incredibly generic and uninspiring.

Use the mockball sequence break and you're in for early doors fun.
  • Aha. I forgot the Wii U has a restore point option. Who needs power supply to a save room now?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You'll need power supply for the whole area, so you do lol
  • Was hoping prime 3 would rate more highly. Might stick super m on emulator at some point and give it a bash.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Has anyone got Prime Trilogy with the Wii controls retro fitted to 1&2? The collector in me always regrets passing on that one as it was a limited release.
  • Gravity suit is mine, and I didn't even touch a guide this time.  No idea where where to go next, but stumbling around worked.  Statue hand section was great. 

2hrs20mins of game time today and I achieved what could have been done in 15 minutes - this is the genre, obviously.  You'd be a third of the way through Story of Thor with a session like that @retroking.  By the way, how come it's OK to recommend Super Metroid so highly/shake your Nintendo head at me, knowing full well I prefer my linear left to right platformers, yet you screw your face up at the thought of playing Castlevania II or Symphony of the Night on account of their Metroidness?  I should have made you play Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    By the way, how come it's OK to recommend Super Metroid so highly/shake your Nintendo head at me, knowing full well I prefer my linear left to right platformers, yet you screw your face up at the thought of playing...Symphony of the Night

(Elf, sic balls).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You have my sympathy. I prefer my games linear too - this and Zelda LttP are the only two games of that roaming style I have ever completed (or are likely to complete).

As soon as I discovered Castlevania:SOTN was Metroidvania I kind of lost interest. My appetite for that type of game being sated for the rest of my life.

Super Metroid really is very good - it gets better and better - stick with it.

• mrsmr2 wrote:
    And Retro, lists are crap but placing Other M above Prime 2 and Fusion makes me think you've got the list backwards.
    That's II as in the GB game. The GB one is fantastic for what it is but obviously in 2013 it was less impressive, thats why I added the year I played them tbh. Fusion was to streamlined, Other M actually plays well its just the whole story aspect that lets it down. A large part of Metroids atmosphere is created in the feeling of isolation etc.

Ah sorry, assumed Prime 2.

I also really liked Fusion.  It's certainly streamlined but still has its own atmosphere, and sa-x was an excellent nemesis throughout.  It also controls and looks better than Super. (Not that I'm knocking Super in any way.)
  • Retro not wanna play SotN????!!!!!!?!?! Oh dear. 

FIX THAT NOW RETRO!!!!
  • davyK wrote:
    Has anyone got Prime Trilogy with the Wii controls retro fitted to 1&2? The collector in me always regrets passing on that one as it was a limited release.

Yes, thats how I played the original Prime, hence not playing it until 2009. I couldn't get on with the control scheme on GCN.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    By the way, how come it's OK to recommend Super Metroid so highly/shake your Nintendo head at me, knowing full well I prefer my linear left to right platformers, yet you screw your face up at the thought of playing Castlevania II or Symphony of the Night on account of their Metroidness?  I should have made you play Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap.

A valid question that I have a blunt and honest answer for. When I think of Castlevania I think of a platformer. I love Mario but I'm not about to play a Mario RPG because I'm not a massive fan of RPG's. That being said I have played Chrono Trigger which is held up as one of the shining examples of the genre. Super Metroid is the defining Metroidvania title hence the term being used post SotN. The best way to sum it up is I've played my RPG, you haven't played your Metroidvania.

hylian_elf wrote:
    Retro not wanna play SotN????!!!!!!?!?! Oh dear.  FIX THAT NOW RETRO!!!!

Yes I should play it but the point here is that I've at least played Super Metroid, @Moot_Geeza has had no experience of Metroidvania and tbh @davyK summed my feelings up regarding SotN...

davyK wrote:
    As soon as I discovered Castlevania:SOTN was Metroidvania I kind of lost interest. 

Like I said above Castlevania to me is a action platformer, Metroid is Metroid. Its a view I take with IP as a whole. Why shoe horn an existing IP over a new idea? Why didn't Konami make a new IP with SotN and carry on Castlevania separately as it was? Ridge Racer Unbounded is the best example, just call it something different, people buy sequels because they want more of the same and there's nothing wrong with that imo.

That said I'm not against the idea of playing SotN at some point, it's just low down on my priorities.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!