Metroid General Thread - The Queen of Video Land
  • I had a Super GB. I can't remember what I actually played with it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Well I have the super special Australia edition that came in THREE layers of shrinkwrap and the game outside the box so you could play it without breaking the shrinkwrap.
    Give that to me.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I had a Super GB. I can't remember what I actually played with it.
    Nor I.  Batman or somesuch.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Donkey Kong '94 is swish through the Super GB - has cute cabinet art borders.

Donkey_Kong_95_-_Ingame_9.gif
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That was probably it. Tremendous videogame, that one.
  • I like how it starts with the full donkey Kong game then adds another hundred levels.
  • Never played super metroid. Absolutely loved metroid prime though. Never really got going with prime 2. Was the third one any good?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Better than the second, not as good as the first seem to be the general consensus.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Top Metroids everyone?

Mine and year played in parentheses
    1. Super (1998)
    2. Prime (2009)
    >
    3. Zero Mission (2008)
    4. Prime 3 (2007)
    >
    5. Other M (2010)
    6. II (2013)
    7. Fusion (2012)

Never played enough of Prime 2 or Hunters to judge them.

As you can see I was quite late to the Metroid party, reason being is I actually got the NES game way back in the late 80s and it went completely over my 8 year old head. It was one of the NES games I sold to get my SNES and I kinda wrote the series off as something I didn't like.

A friend of mine kept badgering (oh yes) me to play Super by stating it was better than Zelda. Although I disagree with that in 1998 my N64 and PSone were collecting dust whilst I was playing one of the greatest 16Bit (and therefore ever) games. See why I keep on at you now @Moot_Geeza ?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Never played super metroid. Absolutely loved metroid prime though. Never really got going with prime 2. Was the third one any good?
    Pointer controls were lovely. Game itself was decent once it got going.

A shitload better than Other M anyway.
  • Prime>Half Life 2.
  • Prime>Half Life 2.

Is that even considered a question? Prime easy!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Prime 2 is generally considered as good as 1, or maybe not quite as good - sequel factor and all that.

Prime 3 is generally considered nowhere near as good as the first two.

And Retro, lists are crap but placing Other M above Prime 2 and Fusion makes me think you've got the list backwards.
  • Super is the great. Then the basically evil Gameboy one. Then Prime.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    And Retro, lists are crap but placing Other M above Prime 2 and Fusion makes me think you've got the list backwards.

That's II as in the GB game. The GB one is fantastic for what it is but obviously in 2013 it was less impressive, thats why I added the year I played them tbh.

Fusion was to streamlined, Other M actually plays well its just the whole story aspect that lets it down. A large part of Metroids atmosphere is created in the feeling of isolation etc.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I started playing Metroid again(about a 3rd of the way through) on my U, purely based on my time spent with it on NES Remix 2.

Love that 8-bit sound.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Loved Super Metroid.

Have played a wee bit of on ethe Gameboy ones - can't remember which - felt quite linear?

Have played a bit of Prime but I suspect the first person aspect of it put me off.

Primes 2 & 3 are in my great big teetering pile of shame. (Don't ask why I got them after playing the first - the collector bug must have bit me - I felt that Prime 2 would become quite collectable due to its 60Hz only in PAL and multi-player mode oddness)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • in 1998 my N64 and PSone were collecting dust whilst I was playing one of the greatest 16Bit (and therefore ever) games. See why I keep on at you now @Moot_Geeza ?

You complete Story of Thor and I'll complete Super Metroid.  Thor takes around 6-7 hours, according to Howlongtobeat.com that's roughly what I'd have left of Super Metroid.  Choose Landstalker instead if you want, but that's a couple of hours longer (and may not be quite as much fun to play without nostaglia).  Both are highly placed on my list of 16-bit goodness. 

Deadline is September 1st, double failure results in us both giving £20 to charity, a winner and a loser results in the loser buying the the winner a 3DS game of the victor's choice, double success results in pats on the back all round and two excellent games played.  You in?
  • Super Metroid. What can I say. It has to be one of the best videogames ever devised. Just played through again recently and it has lost nothing. The first time you get the wall jump down, the super print jump (and holding shoulder buttons for diagonal leaps) The morph ball bomb jump, all the skips and secret areas you could get to when you're not really supposed to. What a game. It had it all. So much depth and nuance.

Prime was extra special too, especially the atmosphere and music, although it hasn't aged well. I really don't think the second Prime comes anywhere close to the first to be honest. No way. I found it a bit of a slog in places.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    in 1998 my N64 and PSone were collecting dust whilst I was playing one of the greatest 16Bit (and therefore ever) games. See why I keep on at you now @Moot_Geeza ?

You complete Story of Thor and I'll complete Super Metroid.  Thor takes around 6-7 hours, according to Howlongtobeat.com that's roughly what I'd have left of Super Metroid.  Choose Landstalker instead if you want, but that's a couple of hours longer.  Both are highly placed on my list of 16-bit goodness. 

Deadline is September 1st, double failure results in us both giving £20 to charity, a winner and a loser results in the loser buying the the winner a 3DS game of the victor's choice, double success results in pats on the back all round and two excellent games played.  You in?

But their sub Zelda right? They might have been good back then if you didn't have a SNES. Super Metroid is still arguably the best of its genre.

You know what fuck it, I'm calling your bluff. I'm starting one of them tonight and will report back in the retro thread.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sub Zelda my arse. Soleil is sub Zelda, fun though it was, Thor is a top down action RPG-cum-beat 'em up.  You don't get a command list like that with basic attacks in Zelda.  Landstalker is as close to on par with aLttP as you'll get with a 16-bit game, with the added freshness of isometric unusualness.  You'll like definitely like Thor.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    in 1998 my N64 and PSone were collecting dust whilst I was playing one of the greatest 16Bit (and therefore ever) games. See why I keep on at you now @Moot_Geeza ?
    You complete Story of Thor and I'll complete Super Metroid.  Thor takes around 6-7 hours, according to Howlongtobeat.com that's roughly what I'd have left of Super Metroid.  Choose Landstalker instead if you want, but that's a couple of hours longer.  Both are highly placed on my list of 16-bit goodness.  Deadline is September 1st, double failure results in us both giving £20 to charity, a winner and a loser results in the loser buying the the winner a 3DS game of the victor's choice, double success results in pats on the back all round and two excellent games played.  You in?
    But their sub Zelda right? They might have been good back then if you didn't have a SNES. Super Metroid is still arguably the best of its genre. You know what fuck it, I'm calling your bluff. I'm starting one of them tonight and will report back in the retro thread.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sub Zelda my arse. Soleil is sub Zelda, fun though it was, Thor is a top down action RPG-cum-beat 'em up.  You don't get a command list like that with basic attacks in Zelda.  Landstalker is as close to on par with aLttP as you'll get with a 16-bit game, with the added freshness of isometric unusualness.  You'll like definitely like Thor.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sub Zelda my arse. Soleil is sub Zelda, fun though it was, Thor is a top down action RPG-cum-beat 'em up. You don't get a command list like that with basic attacks in Zelda. Landstalker is as close to on par with aLttP as you'll get with a 16-bit game, with the added freshness of isometric unusualness. You'll like definitely like Thor.

Ok will start Thor at 6pm this evening. I'll have a look at the 3DS catalog and pick a game for myself.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They might have been good back then if you didn't have a SNES.

By the way, even aged 32 this succeeded in annoying me.  Well played.
  • I think I played Antiriad on the speccy before I even knew what Metroid was. Aped the style rather than the gameplay, but the atmosphere was great.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    w18ph.jpg

Nice reflection, you turned it off yet?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    They might have been good back then if you didn't have a SNES.

By the way, even aged 32 this succeeded in annoying me.  Well played.

Felt good to write. The 16Bit war wounds run deep.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!