Star Citizen
  • Kow wrote:
    Same thing as administrator. I'll try again in a while. It shows as running in the task manager but it's not actually doing anything. I thought it might be downloading in the background but the router is silent.
    Try spamming the mouse click a few times, seems to work, it'll open multiple launchers but you can close all but one. Weird issue, never had it before.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bit of spamming did it, cheers.
  • Why are the ships £150-£3000?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There are cheaper, normal game priced ones.
  • n0face wrote:
    Why are the ships £150-£3000?
    Because people will pay for them. It's to fund development, that's how they got 91+ million dollars. All ships will be available for free in game, using credits earned through gameplay (and will no longer be purchasable with $).
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This is the game with the whole Derek Smart hoopla ain't it?
  • Please can we not talk about him here, seriously he'll be posting by the end of the day otherwise.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This game is never gonna be finished, looks immense but yeah its a disaster. I'll bail out now, sorry pie.
  • This game is never gonna be finished, looks immense but yeah its a disaster. I'll bail out now, sorry pie.
    Check out some of the videos in the first post, they have made a lot of progress and a lot of the hard work is done.

It might never be finished but I still think it will. I'm only in for £50 so it wouldn't be the end of the world, i've already had some fun with it. It's only been in development for 3 years, games are hard to make. As for that guy...is all I have to say.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Had to google him.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    From people more in the know than me:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/286952-derek-smart-vs-star-citizen/page-8
    The article never claims to offer any "proof". Journalistic articles rarely do. It's reporting on a series of allegations that Roberts and co and have done a really terrible job of refuting (and they are offered a right of reply to each allegation in the article, and piss it up the wall).

There seem to a few things here, on a high level that seem fairly unarguable:

Is Star Citizen development going well?

No, It is not. countless milestones have been missed.

Why Is Star Citizen development not going well?

it wasn't short of money at the start so the only real answer here can be: it's not being managed properly. (failure to scope properly, wastes of funds, failure to realise technical challenges involved, failure to prioritise correctly would all count as this)

In what ways is it not being managed properly?

We, as outsiders, can only rely on what the people involved tell us, while remembering to apply critical thinking and question sources. The management of the project may be incompetent. It may be, if not fraudulent, then unethical. We don't know. But the questions do need asking, and Roberts needs to answer them honestly - They've had a healthy budget and lots of time, and delivered very little, compared to Frontier. Elite: Dangerous isn't perfect, but it's there and playable, in part thanks to a project lead who's done his time in the industry and knows what's needed to ship a game close to time and budget.

Now, I can understand why backers are so defensive. if the project is still in need of funds, anything that makes people think twice about committing more money makes it more possible that the whole house of cards collapses.

I do know that, for the most part, the "disgruntled employee goes to the press to stir shit up" isn't actually something that really happens, or rather it does, but the press aren't interested. Most reporters have heard this sort of stuff many. many times in their careers, and alone, it's not worth reporting on - because for the most part these employees will just be airing their own petty grievances that aren't actually of interest to anyone else. But when there's a number of disgruntled employees, all telling similar stories, then that's indicative of something worth investigating.

Really, even if you take out anything related to Roberts' behaviour, his wife and just look at the money raised, the money seemingly spent, and where the project is, there's no way anyone can really be thinking "yeah, it's all fine, nothing to worry about", is there?

Just letting peeps know both sides before they splash any cash is all.
  • Just letting peeps know both sides before they splash any cash is all.
    I've been reading up on all this shite for a week, I don't even want to get into it but it's easy enough to get summaries online, though most of them have bias one way or the other. I might post some sometime, but after all the cool shit and awesome cast they showed yesterday i'd rather focus on that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Feel free, no need to get defensive mate, just letting others know the negative side. I couldn't give a hoot either way, its milking sci fi lunatics, just like peeps to be informed before a purchase.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't get any sound.
  • Feel free, no need to get defensive mate, just letting others know the negative side. I couldn't give a hoot either way, its milking sci fi lunatics, just like peeps to be informed before a purchase.
    Understood why you mentioned it, wasn't being defensive, it's all just a load of shite, no-one knows either way whether it's in trouble. It definitely has difficulties but that's what happens when you open up 4 development studios with 270 people around the world in the space of a few years. I didn't know who theotherDS was until a week ago, I wish I still didn't, he inserted himself into this, he is obsessed and the worst thing is he has a much worse record for doing everything he complains about (seriously go read about it).

I didn't really expect anyone here to be interested until release, but since they can try it for free they might want to back at £30 so they can play during the Alpha and Beta, I think everyone knows it is "early access" and therefore may never come to pass.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sound problem was Windows 10 misbehaving. It doesn't seem to play nice with this.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I do hope it comes out and is everything everyone hoped, pie. Its almost three/four years in development now, $91mil funded, and they're just looking for more and more ways to get/demand/want more money. Sure they've a great cast and ideas and scope, but not much else. I'd feel for those who've already pumped thousands into it if it becomes a clusterfuck, which on current outlook makes that seem as if what's gonna happen.
  • Kow wrote:
    Sound problem was Windows 10 misbehaving. It doesn't seem to play nice with this.
    I have Windows 10 and no sound issues, do you use a dedicated sound card? Not working at all?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's fine now, I think it's a Windows 10 thing, not the game itself. I've been having a whole lot of issues with 10. Anyway, I got it working, albeit with a slightly shonky frame rate (on whatever setting really). I even managed to get into a few ships but with no tutorial or instructions I couldn't manage to get any of them to do anything.
  • Ah, you're in the Hanger, press escape and click >Electronic Access>Arena Commander to get to training/online/etc. you can also walk go to one of the cities through the lift (through the doors) behind where you spawn.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Works fine, yeah. Framerate is a bit better out in space but they still need to improve it, no reason for it to be that bad. Controls are... difficult.
  • Had a pop last night, it's pretty clunky but it feels like there's loads of potential.

I wish they'd reskin it from from grey space metal to next generation beige and red though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They'll have to get that frame rate under control though, it needs to be more precise. I also found the controls to be far too complicated but I guess that could translate into depth over time. Probably needs a proper flight stick, don't think the xbox controller will cut it. Feels odd coming from Elite.
  • I couldn't get my head around it with a flight stick, but that's hardly a surprise after just an hour. If it's just going to be dog fighting and corridor shooting though I'm not sure it'll grip my attention for long.
  • n0face wrote:
    Had a pop last night, it's pretty clunky but it feels like there's loads of potential.

I wish they'd reskin it from from grey space metal to next generation beige and red though.
    Have you tried some of the other ships? (the code lets you select any of the currently able to fly, normally I can only fly my backer ship), try the 325a or the Glaive.
    Kow wrote:
    They'll have to get that frame rate under control though, it needs to be more precise. I also found the controls to be far too complicated but I guess that could translate into depth over time. Probably needs a proper flight stick, don't think the xbox controller will cut it. Feels odd coming from Elite.
    The k&m controls are not too bad when you get use to them, I actually don't bother with my joystick as the k&m is handier and is better for gimbaled weapons. A normal controller is OK but doesn't have enough buttons/axis.
    n0face wrote:
    I couldn't get my head around it with a flight stick, but that's hardly a surprise after just an hour. If it's just going to be dog fighting and corridor shooting though I'm not sure it'll grip my attention for long.
    Check the videos, there's more stuff coming soon, like the fps part, beginnings of the persistent universe.

@n0face @Kow
    want to try and get into the same game sometime this week for a bit of PVP or just flying about in the same server?
  • I could try tonight if you're about.
  • Yep, can do, what time about? I'll be on steam so just msg me through there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!