Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I expect I'm quite late to this, but MINDBLOWN by the cast of Scorsese's The Irishman.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/

Please be good.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Stuff about Synechdoche, New York

Tin, I shall both save your time and pimp myself by giving you an essay I wrote on Synecdoche.

enjoy? Maybe.

That was interesting stuff, thanks. I'm still thinking about it of course, and have so far largely avoided going down too much of a rabbit hole online. (Barring your blog, and Tempy's excellent short film). I'm still having to resist the temptation to write reams about it myself.

Your closing comments ring true with respect to a long chat I had with my wife about it last night. She's currently retraining as a child and adolescent counsellor (having quit medicine), and said the whole thing is pretty much a therapist's dream. She spent much of the film mentally identifying the theories and behaviours she's been spending much of her free time studying. The movie is practically a textbook in human behaviours and dysfunction of one form or another, with much of the subconscious game playing and scripts amplified and made explicit.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I expect I'm quite late to this, but MINDBLOWN by the cast of Scorsese's The Irishman.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/

Please be good.

Except for Ana Paquin. Can't stand her or her weasly face.

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Except for Ana Paquin. Can't stand her or her weasly face.

Harsh. I like her although she doesn't always play particularly likeable characters.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    She was phenomenal in The Piano.
    Get schwifty.
  • I did enjoy that one. Must remember to get hold of the soundtrack for the lossless sillybuggers game, see if it suits my new headphones.
  • Small Town Crime tonight. Very enjoyable stuff. John Hawkes in good form.
  • You Were Never Really Here

My wife walked in partway through and almost immediately described it as a bit wanky. She was right. Not wanky fap fap but wanky mumbled dialogue and jumpy editing.

I quite enjoyed it though, but felt it never really got going. Joaquin was solid as usual.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    ‘You don’t crucify people!, not on Good Friday!’

One of my never gotten round to see films, The Long Good Friday is a good un.
    Things can only get better.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Was prompted to watch that after listening to the Smershpod podcast. Think I’ll look up Taffin next for completely different reasons, sounds hilariously bad.
    Things can only get better.
  • Well, maybe you shouldn’t be living here.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Stephen!
  • Just coming!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Well, maybe you shouldn’t be living here.
    I have that quote on a tshirt with a photo of Bronhom shouting.
    Post Brexit I feel a bit awkward wearing it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Well, maybe you shouldn’t be living here.
    I have that quote on a tshirt with a photo of Bronhom shouting.
    Post Brexit I feel a bit awkward wearing it

Well, maybe you shouldn't be wearing it?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    I finally got round justto watching Synechdoche, New York last night.  I'm a Kaufman fan, but had put it off as I was worried it might be, I don't know really, a bit much.  Anyway, I do a sort of film club thing with some friends (because we're too lazy to read books) and this was the pick.

I could write a huge rambling essay, but I'll spare you for now.  The quick version - in some ways my fears were right - I found it utterly overwhelming.  It jabbed at all of my buttons simultaneously, and I found myself going to bed feeling like someone had just delivered a personal rebuke to every single thing I despise about myself, and a few I hadn't noticed yet. (Despite the film arguably being, at least in part, a warning against precisely such solipsistic self indulgence.)

Having largely got over myself this morning, I've found myself thinking about it a lot, and it is, I think, pretty damn extraordinary.  A lot of the stuff I'd thought of as wilfully strange or surreal has sort of coalesced into ideas that make sense to me, irrespective of the original intention, or anyone else's take.  (The burning house, the green stools, the shrinking paintings versus the expanding drama, Ellen etc etc.)

The ideas in it are ones Kaufman has mined both before and since (with some fairly explicit similarities to Anomalisa), but for all its tangential weirdness, I think this is also the Kaufman film that most clearly expresses a lot of them.

So yeah, I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it, but it's a phenomenal piece, and I suspect it's going to be rattling around in my head for quite some time.  I'm both glad I watched it, and kind of wished I hadn't.

Tin, I shall both save your time and pimp myself by giving you an essay I wrote on Synecdoche.

enjoy? Maybe.

Tempy has a few words to say too.
  • My son (12yo) is going to see RP1 this afternoon, which makes me wonder if he’s going to get even half of the references and, if not, then who is the target audience for this dreck?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Target audience is the da who lined up at 5am for record store Day yesterday

• Even in blurry quality on YouTube it still manages to be one of the most beautiful and thought-provoking films I've ever seen, and ever will see.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    My son (12yo) is going to see RP1 this afternoon, which makes me wonder if he’s going to get even half of the references and, if not, then who is the target audience for this dreck?

This baffles me somewhat. It's clearly a film for middle-aged nerds yet also marketed at children, which makes for an incredibly awkward result in my opinion
    Spoiler:
    . It also doesn't seem to be aimed at real gamers since it ignores or breaks gaming conventions
    Spoiler:
    . I could go on but can't be bothered...

• Some films I've watched recently:

1) Logan. Really good, and unexpected. Loved the extreme violence and general Noir Western vibe going on. A shame we won't get a sequel.

2) Annihilation. I really enjoyed this one. Reminded me of The Blair Witch Project, The Last of Us and Prometheus, all three of which I love. Never really rated Natalie Portman but she's very good here.

3) Ant-Man. Exactly what I want in a comic book movie. Joyful, funny and with some of the most inventive action sequences that I've ever seen. Top stuff.

4) Shutter Island. My second favourite Scorsese picture. A brilliant Noir, with an ending that is possibly the purest Noir thing I've ever seen. Recommended for all who love Noir and Leo and Scorsese.

5) 3:10 To Yuma (Remake). One of my favourite modern Westerns. The ending is perfect, and always makes me cry. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe on top form.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We watched It Comes At Night last night which is like the Last of Us side story you never knew you needed. It's tough. And really tough going in places, but Joel Edgerton does a good un in it
  • Is it zombies? Or just general apocalypse?
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hmm... That's hard to say. It's
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    At least I'm not the only one who liked Prometheus so.
  • Kow wrote:
    At least I'm not the only one who liked Prometheus so.
    I've heard from quite a lot of people who like it. I think the consensus was not really representative of how many people felt about it.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I liked it quite a bit.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There are about 3 of us. Prometheus Corner.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Burn the witches

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!