Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • poprock wrote:
    I thought this year’s Mission Impossible was pretty poor. Worst one for a while.

I really liked it but it falls apart very quickly the second you engage your brain.
  • Loving that Macauly Culkin is now on redlettermedia.
    He was in the background of half in the bag, then did a re:view of Hackers. Now he is in the latest Best of the Worst Plinketto., covering Home Alone 4.

Also he looks like a chubby Tempy.
  • Not counting the Oscars stuff, which I would've watched at the end of last year, it's been a pretty poor year for films. I can barely remember any that really stood out.

In fact, even with the Oscar films, only 3 Billboards and Phantom Thread were particularly good.
  • You Were Never Really Here

Yes this.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Haven't seen much this year so I've only not included a handful compiling a best of:

Coco
    You Were Never Really Here
    Shape of the Water
    Isle of Dogs
    Three Billboards (didn't love it as much as most, still good)
  • Was Infinity War last year? It's on Oli's list so I'm having it, brought me back into the fold with comic book movies.
  • If only there was a way to find out.
  • In my defence, I was on the loo at work and my 250mb of data a month is earmarked solely for badgering.
  • Saw Spider-Man into the Spiderverse last night. What a glorious, stunning and outstanding film. The art style is beautiful and it really is just a comic up on the screen. The comedy is perfectly pitched and complements the surprising amount of emotion and depth throughout the film.

It really is the best Spidey film and right up there as one of the best superhero films. Absolutely brilliant.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • The best film I think I saw this year was Manchester by the Sea which was made in 2016.

But for this years releases I probably havent seen a wide enough selection.

Off the top of the head:

Infinity War
    Annihilation
    A Star is Born

Several good films came out but fell more than a bit short of being worthy - Black Panther, Blackkklansman (I'm not racist!), Bohemian Rhapsody (close on so many levels) Ant Man & Wasp,  Deadpool 2. I just had a look at what came out and I've missed out on a lot.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Looks like most people didn’t see Mandy! That’s a pretty fun film.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Saw Spider-Man into the Spiderverse last night. What a glorious, stunning and outstanding film. The art style is beautiful and it really is just a comic up on the screen. The comedy is perfectly pitched and complements the surprising amount of emotion and depth throughout the film.

It really is the best Spidey film and right up there as one of the best superhero films. Absolutely brilliant.

Would a five year old enjoy it?

Same question to Elf, have you taken the lad yet?
  • I think the only film I've seen in the cinema this year is Hotel Transylvania 3.
    So that gets my vote!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The boy and I will be all over that Spidey.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Loving that Macauly Culkin is now on redlettermedia.
    He was in the background of half in the bag, then did a re:view of Hackers. Now he is in the latest Best of the Worst Plinketto., covering Home Alone 4.

Also he looks like a chubby Tempy.

OMG the plinketto episode is in my watch pile, I fucking loved the Hackers re:view, good guy Macauly, it's nice to see him doing alright.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Don't panic Sonic fans.  There's a different poster for the upcoming movie that should alleviate any concerns.  It's...

bvpuqsb9vc0z32pqrpbd.jpg

Oh God.  It's hideous as well.

Still, at least we know why he had massive genitalia in the last one - it's so that he can ejaculate all over the Golden Gate Bridge
  • My god those legs are something else.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They belong to two different Sonics.
  • I cannot wait to see the trailer for this so I suppose the marketing is working.
  • That looks several shades of shit
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Short film of Pratchett’s Troll Bridge coming next year. Looks better than any of Sky’s adaptations, anyway. Trailer’s on Vimeo, so here’s a link to the website where it’s embedded.

http://www.trollbridge.film
  • Ooh! That’s excellent news. Subscribed.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm nowhere near ranking movies yet as I know I have a few blackholes to do before new year. Not even worth it at this point.
  • I really liked Troll Bridge.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I rarely get to watch the current years movies. Determined to watch Blackkklansman before the end of the year so that may go in. 

Other than that think Three Billboards is up there, with Infinity War a distant second.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watching Edge of Tomorrow. Forgot how good a film this is. Cruise on top form, great concept and action film. Only negative is it can suffer from the Transformers indistinct enemy FX. Apart from that really great film.
  • Yeah it's a great stand alone sci fi film. It's a shame it feels fresh these days to have a film like that which isn't connected to a franchise. We need more big budget solo films. Not Solo films.
  • Sonic film will be shit, but surely these posters are part of some sort of marketing hoodwink.  I'm not buying the speed trail in this one (and the ring dangling on the left shoe).  It's too shit, they've overplayed their hand.
  • Saw Spider-Man into the Spiderverse last night. What a glorious, stunning and outstanding film. The art style is beautiful and it really is just a comic up on the screen. The comedy is perfectly pitched and complements the surprising amount of emotion and depth throughout the film.

Would a five year old enjoy it?

Same question to Elf, have you taken the lad yet?

I reckon a five year old would like it as it is pretty fast paced and I’m sure he would like some of the more slapstick/bizarre comedy. I kept thinking would my 4 year old like and yes, yes he would BUT it did get pretty dark for a kids film at points and one of the main villains was actually pretty scary.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I can't wait to see it. It's come out of nowhere for me and the moment I saw a clip I was in love.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!