Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I must be at the end right, because I saw an hour and three quarters of it last night. But sweet baby Jesus, there's still another hour of this dumpster fire to go!
    Eh? It's under 2 hours.

Is there an extra long version doing the rounds with loads of crap bits added or something? When I saw it, it was forgettable but fine.

Ditto. It was average but not a complete car crash.

• JonB wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I must be at the end right, because I saw an hour and three quarters of it last night. But sweet baby Jesus, there's still another hour of this dumpster fire to go!
    Eh? It's under 2 hours. Is there an extra long version doing the rounds with loads of crap bits added or something? When I saw it, it was forgettable but fine.

The extended version is 18 mins longer.
  • That sounds like a line from the film.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It was on the television as well so g may have been talking real time with adverts I guess.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Please tell me that you at least chuckled at the Mike Hat part?
  • g.man wrote:
    This really is a whole new level of cringeworthy.

Yeah it wasn't good, although I did laugh at the "fuck you" bit where she told them the price of the rent.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Commercial breaks I guess. My recording, the film ends at 2hrs 41mins. There's probably a three min buffer at the start of the recording, but it's a fucking ridiculous length for a film with no story, no script, and no jokes.
    I mean surely this is meant to be a family film to take the kids to? There was at least one huge F-bomb in there, and the tone is just all over the place.
    Absolute waste of a talented cast. Having an all female Ghostbusters is a great idea, but this is the sort of garbage that could set back the status of women in Hollywood by years.
    I'll be very surprised if Paul Feig ever works in Tinseltown again. The man is clearly a talent vacuum. He's kind of like the King Midas of excrement. Everything he touches turns to shit.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Please tell me that you at least chuckled at the Mike Hat part?
    No.
  • That new Cuaron on Netflix, Roma, has been getting some decent reviews. Anyone watched it yet?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Eh, Ghostbusters 2016 was totally acceptable for the most part. Bit lacklustre over all but decent SFX and not the atrocity people seem to make it out to be.

It made ok money on the box office and Feig had a film out this year with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively in the lead that did more than fine at the box office.

Im sure GB2016 made a lot of little girls happy and who can really argue with that in the end.

I sometimes wonder if films are going through the same thing as games where the so rare to see an absolutely shocker that the upper and lower thresholds have been jammed together so closely that “acceptable” is now viewed as “catastrophe”. Not to cast aspersions on anyone here, just a general observation on how competent and average have become the new barometer for poor. It’s the Edge 7 all over again.

• Nah, each to their own obviously, but I was genuinely surprised just how bad Ghostbusters was.
  • One thing that the Spider-Man film has reminded me is that when you have people who want to they can do some great and interesting looking stuff in a pure cgi film. These guys made the Lego movie too and it makes the indistinguishable goop of Pixar style somewhat unforgivable given their resource and standing.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    That new Cuaron on Netflix, Roma, has been getting some decent reviews. Anyone watched it yet?

I watched it last night. It's lovely, but I bet some would genuinely hate it. It's quite big on camera pans.
  • Oddly , I now want to see this Ghostbusters. Think it's on Netflix. One funny thing I remember from the uproar when it was announced was people (Well, zealots) claiming this destroyed the legacy of Ghostbusters. Can we all agree that Ghostbusters legacy up to this was a great first film and a rancid turd of a sequel?
    SFV - reddave360
  • The original was good at the time as event movies go. I'd be surprised if it's aged particularly well though. Saw the 2nd one at the cinema back in the day and have a vague memory of being underwhelmed, but I'd be lying if I claimed I could really remember anything about it other than there being a sewer full of goop.
  • Tempy knows.

GB2k16 is fine.
  • One thing that the Spider-Man film has reminded me is that when you have people who want to they can do some great and interesting looking stuff in a pure cgi film. These guys made the Lego movie too and it makes the indistinguishable goop of Pixar style somewhat unforgivable given their resource and standing.

GGI is coming of age. The Pixar influence has been too strong for too long for pure CGI.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Tempy knows.

GB2k16 is fine.

It needed a female director imo. Being aware the film was directed by a man made it somehow worse, it's flaws bigger. I realise this could be me being a mental.
  • Re Ghostbusters.
    I wanted to hate it, I wanted it to fail as I regard the original ghostbusters as one of my top 5 films of all time. Just love love love it and quote it endlessly.
    The idea of a “remake” or “reboot” just filled me with dread.

But you know what, I actually enjoyed it.
    It was fun and silly and although not a patch on the original it wasn’t the dumpster fire I thought it would be.

It was a perfectly passable piece of entertainment, just not a proper ghostbusters film.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • You could say that about the sequel tbh.

@Gazelle TBH it just shouldn’t have been handed to Feig because he hasn’t really got any zest when it comes to action scenes. I am pretty sure that instead of the traditional CGI blarney at the end there was originally gonna be a weird dance number/brawl because you it’s over the credits for no reason instead. I imagine studio hassle forced him to redo it, and the result is some real limply shot fighting.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    GB2016 is a funny film in the same way the first is a bunch of SNL lads coming together and riffing. The first is no golden goose, and the remake isn't a next coming, they're both nice fun films.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You could say that about the sequel tbh.

@Gazelle TBH it just shouldn’t have been handed to Feig because he hasn’t really got any zest when it comes to action scenes. I am pretty sure that instead of the traditional CGI blarney at the end there was originally gonna be a weird dance number/brawl because you it’s over the credits for no reason instead. I imagine studio hassle forced him to redo it, and the result is some real limply shot fighting.

You are right, there was a dance scene originally planned, this got pied by the studio (not test audiences as initially reported) and replaced with a whizzbanger for the das.
  • I'd argue the first Ghostbusters is a genuine classic comedy of the 80s and hold up very well. Worth a rewatch if you haven't seen it in a while, effects hold up, the jokes generally serve the plot rather than the other way round.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, I'd be curious to see it again after all this time.
  • It’s good but I am not sure i’d trust anyone our age and above to watch it without rose tinted glasses
  • I still really like it.
    An old uni mate has a young kid who is mental for it.
  • I went the other way. I found original ghostbusters a bit scattershot and at times cringey for gross reasons. (For some reason I find the part about rays mortgage exceptionally depressing and sad)
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Spider-Verse was excellent. Genuinely funny, great voice cast and the animation was slick and imaginative.

Must see.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I went the other way. I found original ghostbusters a bit scattershot and at times cringey for gross reasons. (For some reason I find the part about rays mortgage exceptionally depressing and sad)

Mind that amazing bit in that pg rated movie where they get blowjobs from ghosts top keks lads
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I rewatched Ghostbusters when it was re-released theatrically for its twentieth anniversary. It was fun but mildly underwhelming. I rewatched the sequel (for the first time since its original release) on Blu-ray soon after that and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's not as good, by any means, but it isn't bad. The reboot is the worst so far but I still found it to be sporadically enjoyable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!