regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Watched Close Encounters tonight. Flora's first time. It's a real Stormer of a movie although it hits the
    Spoiler:
    metaphor bang on the head a little too literally.

Anyway, it's AI tomorrow and I can't wait.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Extra terrestrials for me tonight too with Arrival. So very good.
    Get schwifty.
  • Alien. Again. Film4. That bit at the start where they land on the planet. Has the sheer inhospitality of deep space ever been depicted better than this?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Man, I couldn't watch Alien with ad breaks.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Serenity - Its rare in modern cinema for a film to have a set vision and for it to wholeheartedly work towards it. Its an astonishing piece of work from a new auteur, Steven Knight who, in his elder years, has hit his triumphant peak. The man started on Jasper Carrott's laugh-vacuum sitcom The Detectives before somehow striking gold with Hardy and Locke, a film so utterly lacking in trust from its producers that they just stuck big Tom in a car on the motorway and let him have an existential crisis.

Serenity has acting, it has some form of editing, it has music at points. Sometimes they shoot at night and sometimes during the day. McConaughey gets wet at times, then he screams randomly, then he gets mildly drunk on several bottles of rum. His range is magnificent.

You can have your Cachés, your White Ribbons, your Troll 2s. Sit back, admire, bask in it. SOAK IN ITS LUNACY. Thank me later.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He did it
  • Reads like a [5].
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I did about 40 minutes last night. It's a strange one. Will try and finish the rest over the weekend. The actors don't really seem to fit the film so far.
  • Jesus. Serenity is amaze.

equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Next up.. Gotti. Will probably seem like a masterpiece in comparison.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So started watching AI and flora and I got about 20 and 25 mins in each respectively before descending into tears due to start of year and subject matter. Had to put it off at imprinting moment. Fuck Interstellar, AI is the sad parent movie. Ended up watching 1989 Batman instead for a break.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    So started watching AI and flora and I got about 20 and 25 mins in each respectively before descending into tears due to start of year and subject matter. Had to put it off at imprinting moment. Fuck Interstellar, AI is the sad parent movie. Ended up watching 1989 Batman instead for a break.

I would also avoid up. Great film but me and the wife watched it while going through some IVF and it's hard going.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You don't realise how many films play those notes to varying degrees until you don't want to see them. We flicked from Something I've Forgotten to The Quiet Place to Game Night and they all upset us to varying degrees.
  • Went to see The Kid Who Would be King, which i really wanted to like because I'm a big fan of Joe Cornish.

Unfortunately it was absolute dogshit. It reminded me of those 1960/70s kids guns that they used to show on BBC 1 after school on a Friday at 3:45, by the Children's Film Foundation.

Awful kids acting, terrible and annoying performances (especially by Merlin) and unforgivably an awful script that tries for humour and fails - but also manages to have characters spout lines that no human being world every actually say.

Absolutely terrible.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    re. difficult subject matter, phobias etc, I've only had a brief look but doesthedogdie might be useful for specific content info beyond the usual sex and violence detailed on the BBFC site.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Went to see The Kid Who Would be King, which i really wanted to like because I'm a big fan of Joe Cornish.

Unfortunately it was absolute dogshit. It reminded me of those 1960/70s kids guns that they used to show on BBC 1 after school on a Friday at 3:45, by the Children's Film Foundation.

Awful kids acting, terrible and annoying performances (especially by Merlin) and unforgivably an awful script that tries for humour and fails - but also manages to have characters spout lines that no human being world every actually say.

Absolutely terrible.

I've only heard good things about it from Kermode and Mayo, but every clip I've heard of it sounds like upper middle class bollocks. What's happened to regional accents?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Batman was way more easy going fwiw
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Although flora and I spent our time reading about it being the first 12, and why it has remained a 15 on home release. The phrase from the original BBFC documentation of "small lads running up the aisles screaming" is amazing.
  • Love that film. It was the only 15 rated movie we were allowed to watch as kids.
    Both the Burton Batmons are brilliant.
  • It’s weird to think that was BBCs big Christmas film one year.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kingston's caped crusader - Batmon.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Love that film. It was the only 15 rated movie we were allowed to watch as kids.
    Both the Burton Batmons are brilliant.

For me they are both massively style over substance but I'm not a huge burton fan. Whereas you could change the character in batman begins and the film is still solid, I think if you take out the batman from burton's stuff they would be seen as just dodgy films with good performances.

Each to their own of course, the first one is ok, still watchable, but I find returns has dated very badly. The plot lurches along with no real sense, its Michael bay for arty folk
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think it's fair in a comic book movie to have visual style over sensible plot.
    I would argue the performances are better than good as well, especially The Joker.
  • Kow wrote:
    Kingston's caped crusader - Batmon.

Haha.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I think it's fair in a comic book movie to have visual style over sensible plot. I would argue the performances are better than good as well, especially The Joker.

To a certain extent I agree. But the Batman movies under Burton really lurch from scene to scene for me and stuff just happens. I'm not kidding when I say it reminds me of a Bay film. People complain about some of the more silly bits of Nolans stuff (best example is Bruce's walk back into Gotham) and yet if you put Burtons stuff under any type of examination it falls to pieces. But that's ok because Burton. 

His stuff just doesnt click with me so its as much personal taste as anything though.

I do agree that the main performances are very good though. The acting from the back up cast is a bit hammy but I could accept that's intentional. The main roles are generally perfectly cast.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think Nolan's films rightfully get more criticism for plot holes etc as they do take themselves very seriously, its harder to be critical when the next scene is Devito in a yellow duck ride on controlling the Batmobile.
  • Also Ledger's Joker got ruined for me by some twat at uni that would alternate dressing up as him and Jack Sparrow.
    Both costumes resulted in him being an annoying cunt all night.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Why so serious Ben?
  • Nnnnnggggg

Yeah that, with bad breath, a Bradford accent and half their pint spilling in my shoes.
  • giphy.gif
    Take it to the geek thread dweebs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!